Technical tips for Abbot Covid home test

Playin Pickleball

We had issues with taking the test this morning, but it was all on our end so I thought I'd share in case that saves anyone some trouble.

I used my Chromebook and had a 3 minutes wait and video worked (when I slipped the on/off switch to on, duh!) and the test went without a hitch.

My husband was using his Windows 10 machine that has Norton on it. He also has ad blockers and video disabling software. 

Problem #1: when we started the test, we never got to the queue. So he turned off all the ad blockers and video disabling software. That got us to the queue.

Problem #2:  eMed couldn't access video. So hubby made sure the camera was on in Windows.

Problem #3: Tried again. Norton denied access to the camera. So he told Norton to allow camera for eMed.

Problem #4: Norton still denied access but now it was to Google Chrome. Husband told Norton to allow video camera for Chrome. Then everything worked fine.

The good news is: if you start the test and have a technical problem, eMed gets you right back in when you reconnect. No waiting in a queue.

All in all it was a very good system. And fortunately, we're both negative so Zuiderdam, here we come.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Took my test this morning on a MacBook Pro with no issues. My wife had trouble with an older MacBook Air so she used my computer for her test. We were  both negative and headed for the Koningsdam. My queue was 10 minutes and hers was 2 minutes. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Playin Pickleball said:

We had issues with taking the test this morning, but it was all on our end so I thought I'd share in case that saves anyone some trouble.

<snip>

The good news is: if you start the test and have a technical problem, eMed gets you right back in when you reconnect. No waiting in a queue.

All in all it was a very good system. And fortunately, we're both negative so Zuiderdam, here we come.

Good information, thank you! And either you were lucky or I was unlucky! When I had technical problems after a 30 minute queue, eMed said I'd get right back in when I reconnected. Didn't happen, sadly, so then it was another 35 minute wait! I freely admit it could have been something I did, but don't know what! Once back at the head of the queue, I tested and everything went according to plan. But I agree, overall, a very good system. Congrats on your negative tests and enjoy the Zuiderdam!

34 minutes ago, wesport said:

We will have both iPhones and new iPads. Hoping one of them will work. Seems like the phone is the better way to go. 

Maybe. But there was a post very recently where the poster had used his phone and was "on hold' for 5 hours. I suggested maybe he hang up and try again because maybe he wasn't really on hold any more but had been disconnected. He re-did it thru his laptop and got right thru. However, his may have just been a fluke that morning or he wasn't using an I-phone.  

You'll do fine, I'm sure. It's a very good system they have.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 510picker said:

We both used our iPhones mounted on a desktop tripod and had no problems whatsoever. 

Have you updated your iPhones to IOS 15.2?  Someone on another board had problems,

The first time I tried, I wanted to use my phone (Android).  Problem was, they need to be able to see the card on the table as well as both your hands.  Can't do that if you have no way of securing the phone, so that wasn't going to work.  I told them I was going to hang up and try using my laptop.

I had no problem using the laptop other than some minor issues with getting the card and then the test clear and focused for them.  And the fact that my speakers are almost fried, so it was hard to hear.

I'm considering adding an MSC cruise after my upcoming X cruise in April (so, a side-to-side).  I don't want to have to drag my laptop with me to test while on Summit, but there's no way to manage it with just a phone and me, as a solo, with no one to hold the phone for me.  Guess I need to contact X and see if they'll test me and how much that will cost.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:39 AM, Playin Pickleball said:

I used my Chromebook and had a 3 minutes wait and video worked (when I slipped the on/off switch to on, duh!) and the test went without a hitch.

My husband was using his Windows 10 machine that has Norton on it. He also has ad blockers and video disabling software. 

Problem #1: when we started the test, we never got to the queue. So he turned off all the ad blockers and video disabling software. That got us to the queue.

Problem #2:  eMed couldn't access video. So hubby made sure the camera was on in Windows.

Problem #3: Tried again. Norton denied access to the camera. So he told Norton to allow camera for eMed.

Problem #4: Norton still denied access but now it was to Google Chrome. Husband told Norton to allow video camera for Chrome. Then everything worked fine.

Thanks for sharing!

- Joel

Yes.  This thread is what you are asking about.  It's a proctored test that is accepted by the cruise lines and for re=entry by air to the US.   

BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test | Abbott Point of Care (globalpointofcare.abbott)

eMed | Airline Travel

BEFORE YOU CRUISE | Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with Navica & E-Med Test Full Demo - Bing video

Edited by oakridger
fixed
  • Like 1

Highland Cruiser, If you find the FAQa about HAL health protocols on the website, under “self testing” there are two links to companies for ordering kits. We ordered the Radeas kits which arrived in a few days. Have not used them yet since we bought as backup to testing reservation at a CVS in San Diego pre cruise in two weeks.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

Used a Mac to do our tests this morning.   From logon to log off after taking the test was 20 minutes.  Email with formal acknowledgment of results received within 5 minutes after log off.   This was our 5th proctored test since October with similar results.   So convenient.

• Like 1