Will I avoid the Spring Break crowd if my cruise leaves out of Miami on February 26th?

Encore37

• Encore37 changed the title to Will I avoid the Spring Break crowd if my cruise leaves out of Miami on February 26th?

From my experience which is only cruising out of Louisiana, Texas, and California those months, yes. the last week of Feb and the first week of March is when I like to cruise. You get the good weather and avoid the spring break crowds. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tidecat said:

You should dodge the heavier crowds for the week of President's Day sailing that week. Odds are there is some school district on winter/spring break the week of February 26, but most will be sometime in March.

Here in Louisiana, that's going to Mardi Gras week. Most schools out for a few days or even a the whole week. Most of the folks I know like to vacation this week, but maybe not in Miami. Big Disney week though before Covid. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Here in Louisiana, that's going to Mardi Gras week. Most schools out for a few days or even a the whole week. Most of the folks I know like to vacation this week, but maybe not in Miami. Big Disney week though before Covid. 

Mardi Gras was the day after President's Day in 2020 (I celebrated on the Victory) and the same happens again in 2023 (I am booked on the Mardi Gras that week). Outside of Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, though, it isn't very big. The state of Alabama actually tried to schedule an election on Mardi Gras one year back in the 1990s, that obviously had to be changed since Mobile basically shuts down for Fat Tuesday.

The President's Day school holidays are very common along the East Coast, especially Maine and Massachusetts - those folks obviously will be cruising out of Florida. If you look at practically any Carnival sailing for February out of Florida, President's Day Week is typically the most expensive, and sometimes by a good margin.

• Like 1

Spring break college kids usually go for shorter, less expense cruises when they cruise.  Families with EL-Hi children do take longer cruises during spring break, but for large swaths of the country, spring break is NOT tied to Presidents Day or Mardi Gras/beginning of Lent.  Easter is in mid April this year so most school districts will have spring break between mid March and mid April.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:51 PM, Elaine5715 said:

If you mean Spring Break crowds as in large groups of college kids onboard, that does not happen.  Age restrictions prevent cruises becoming Daytona Beach.  

And Daytona Beach is no longer the destination for most spring breakers....most of them seem to be going to NW Fl.  Just saying, not that it matters. Historically, though, I guess it was one hot mess.

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Spring break college kids usually go for shorter, less expense cruises when they cruise.  Families with EL-Hi children do take longer cruises during spring break, but for large swaths of the country, spring break is NOT tied to Presidents Day or Mardi Gras/beginning of Lent.  Easter is in mid April this year so most school districts will have spring break between mid March and mid April.

College kids aren't cruising without parents or other 25 yr old guardian type along

My last cruise was the last week of February into the first week of March on Horizon out of Miami in 2019 and there wasn't a spring break crowd on that sailing. You should be fine around that date.