ECV’s on HoS

thewynn

We are getting on the HoS tomorrow and have decided to rent an ECV for my wife who is having some mobility issues. We have been on several cruises but never with an ECV so I’m wondering about how the logistics of this work. We will pick up the ECV on the ship at Guest Services when we board. After that I am clueless.

-Do we have to leave the ECV with us in the cabin or is there somewhere on the floor we can park it? Cabins seem very small to try to fit an ECV in there and I’m concerned about having room.

-Same question about the MDR, can she park it just outside and then walk to the table in the MDR? She can walk fine short distances.

-What about at ports? Provided we get to port at St Thomas or St Martin, we don’t have an RCL excursion and would maybe just take a taxi to the beach. Is there somewhere at the port to stow these so she doesn’t have to walk the length of the pier or even just inside the ship if there is a tram at the dock?

Thanks for any info you can give me about the experience of cruising with one of these ECV’s.

Assuming an ECV is a mobility scooter, here was my experience when recovering from a broken foot, in the Before Times:

We picked it up in the terminal and they walked us through the boarding process. We met them in the lobby and they put me in a wheelchair, got me checked in, and took me straight upstairs to pick up my scooter.  Quick and easy.

We blessedly had a corner cabin at the front of the ship and there was plenty of room both inside the cabin, and in the hallway outside, to park it.   We made sure we checked with our room steward before we left it outside, and he gave us the best location to place it, which was about 4 steps from our door.

In the dining room, we were assigned a table that was about 10 steps from the main aisle, and I had to use the cane to walk to it.  There was an assistant waiter (who had arms of steel!) to assist me in getting to and from the table. They will take your scooter and park it out of the way, and return it to you at the end of your meal.

Ports are interesting - the gangway usually has a hump in where my scooter highsided, and I had to stand for a second while they pushed it over.  I do not know how they handle it for people who truly cannot stand up at all.  

Just remember - when she gets to the hand sanitizer station, she needs to use some of that for the handles of the scooter.  Enjoy your cruise. 

I am surprised at the previous response that crew pointed out a space to "park" the scooter in the passageway, since this is against SOLAS regulations.  Scooters must be kept in the cabin overnight, and the crowding is why it is recommended to have an accessible cabin with a scooter, as is the possibility that you can't get the scooter through the door.

As for ports of call, no there isn't any area to store the scooter while you are out and about, you might think about a transport chair to fold up for the taxi.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I am surprised at the previous response that crew pointed out a space to "park" the scooter in the passageway, since this is against SOLAS regulations.  Scooters must be kept in the cabin overnight, and the crowding is why it is recommended to have an accessible cabin with a scooter, as is the possibility that you can't get the scooter through the door.

As for ports of call, no there isn't any area to store the scooter while you are out and about, you might think about a transport chair to fold up for the taxi.

We have seen scooters parked in the hallway during the day. I've seen some parked at night as well. 

Yes, you will need to leave the scooter in your cabin.

For the MDR, the crew will assist you in driving to your table. Once seated, they will safely move it to a safe location. After dinner, they will return the scooter to you.

For the ports, the crew will assist in getting the scooter on/off the ship. However, there is no place on the piers to leave it. You would be expected to take it with you. Some people have reported that once they get to the end of the pier, they return the scooter to the ship, and security keeps it nearby, where you retrieve it on return. I wouldn't guarantee this to be the case.

23 hours ago, thewynn said:

We are getting on the HoS tomorrow and have decided to rent an ECV for my wife who is having some mobility issues. We have been on several cruises but never with an ECV so I’m wondering about how the logistics of this work. We will pick up the ECV on the ship at Guest Services when we board. After that I am clueless.

-Do we have to leave the ECV with us in the cabin or is there somewhere on the floor we can park it? Cabins seem very small to try to fit an ECV in there and I’m concerned about having room.

-Same question about the MDR, can she park it just outside and then walk to the table in the MDR? She can walk fine short distances.

-What about at ports? Provided we get to port at St Thomas or St Martin, we don’t have an RCL excursion and would maybe just take a taxi to the beach. Is there somewhere at the port to stow these so she doesn’t have to walk the length of the pier or even just inside the ship if there is a tram at the dock?

Thanks for any info you can give me about the experience of cruising with one of these ECV’s.

You are not supposed to park it outside your cabin.  I know folks who are completely disabled and have been stuck in hallways or couldn’t get back to their cabins because lazy and selfish people park their scooters out in the hall even though they know they aren’t allowed.  Imagine trying to get to your accessible category cabin to use the bathroom and you are blocked by someone who parked their scooter of convenience in the hall.  

With the cleaning carts and other stuff there just isn’t room.  For walkers sure, they can squeeze by.  But not for others who may need more room.  You can pretty much tell that a person isn’t permanently disabled when they park it in the hall.  Anyone dealing with such issues permanently would never do this to others in the same situation.