Delayed Final Payment Deadline

sbaker

NCL has changed the final payment deadline from 120 days to 60 days prior to sailing, but only for cruises starting on or before April 30, 2022.  We have a large group scheduled for the Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary in May, so our final is still due on January 19th.  With all of the current uncertainty, I guess we'll be cancelling.  Would love the option of the "60 days prior to sailing" to give us until mid-March to see how things are going, but I guess NCL would rather that we just cancel instead.  Are any of you in the same boat (or rather on the same ship)??

• Like 2

Same here...our cruise departs on May 10...so our final payment is due January 10.  We're planning to wait until January 10 to make the final payment (just in case they do make the change from 120 to 60 between now and then).

Of course, we're hoping they'll extend the reduced final payment period to 60 days (instead of 120)...but we're also bracing for them not to do so.   I'm guessing they're waiting to see what the cancellation numbers look like this coming week--before making any additional changes in policy.  If cancellations keep coming in, not only do they lose the expected full amount of final payments, but they also have to start refunding those deposits, too...something I'm sure they'd prefer not to have to do.

We've assessed our risk/value factors to date...and at this point, we're still planning to make our final payment.  But we'll reassess next weekend (January 8-9) as we see what happens during this coming week.   We have travel insurance...but we know that it's not necessarily going to guarantee full reimbursement--depending on how the situation evolves by May.

Just FYI...we've had 2 cruises cancelled by NCL in the past two years (got full refunds, not FCCs)...so we're really hoping that #3 will be the lucky one for us...! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sbaker said:

NCL has changed the final payment deadline from 120 days to 60 days prior to sailing, but only for cruises starting on or before April 30, 2022.  We have a large group scheduled for the Hawaii/Tahiti itinerary in May, so our final is still due on January 19th.  With all of the current uncertainty, I guess we'll be cancelling.  Would love the option of the "60 days prior to sailing" to give us until mid-March to see how things are going, but I guess NCL would rather that we just cancel instead.  Are any of you in the same boat (or rather on the same ship)??

A couple things to consider:  You still have Peace of Mind, though that's only a FCC (unless, of course, THEY cancel.)  Also, if you DO cancel, and as the date approaches you feel more comfortable about cruising, you may be able to get a better rate if you rebooked last minute.  Maybe.

It's clearly in NCL's best interests to shorten the final payment date, not only to 60 days, but to 30 days.

The poll on the other thread shows 77% are cancelling at final payment.  But NCL doesn't seem to make logical decisions.  

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 1

I would wait and see what happens this next week.  Remember that this is a holiday weekend, other than the emergency announce about the Peace of Mind, I do not see any thing else coming out before Monday and Tuesday when everyone shoulld be back in the office.

36 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

It's clearly in NCL's best interests to shorten the final payment date, not only to 60 days, but to 30 days.

The poll on the other thread shows 77% are cancelling at final payment.  But NCL doesn't seem to make logical decisions.  

Unfortunately, there could be a very logical rational for keeping booking on record at this time. I do agree, it's not in the best interest of consumers, but it maybe in the best interest of the company. I suspect there is much going on behind the scenes. So much uncertainty right now ;(.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sbaker said:

My daughter and I are in same boat. We are booked on this cruise and if they don't extend the final to 60 days I'll be cancelling next week. My fear is testing positive and being quarantined on the cruise, worse yet having to quarantine in Tahiti, not able to fly home, that would be expensive.

I looked to rebook it in October and the prices are insane. I paid $6200 for both of us taking the NCL air in an Oceanview as we decided the cost difference between that and a balcony could be used for our two nights, food, tour in Honolulu. I'd be paying over $13K in Oct, no thanks.

21 hours ago, phillygwm said:

A couple things to consider:  You still have Peace of Mind, though that's only a FCC (unless, of course, THEY cancel.)  Also, if you DO cancel, and as the date approaches you feel more comfortable about cruising, you may be able to get a better rate if you rebooked last minute.  Maybe.

That is very doubtful that this cruise will drop in price, right now it is 50% MORE then when I first booked. There is no way I'd ever take an FCC, every cancelled cruise by NCL I wanted it back to my cc. 

Edited by njkate

21 hours ago, Lou33 said:

They are banking cash and handing out FCC, logical from income statement perspective.  Not so much from a customer service POV.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat, with a May NCL British Isles cruise (postponed from 2020), final payment due this month.   I booked as a solo in a balcony - a lot of money for me.   I decided to cancel, as it was too much money to have tied up 4 months in advance while wondering what NCL might do in the meantime.  I felt great disappointment upon canceling, but relief also.  I no longer have to keep on top of the ever-changing covid protocols of NCL and the countries on my itinerary.  My refundable deposit was returned within a couple weeks. 

Someday, I hope to do this itinerary again.  I hope eventually cruising and cruise prices go back to something approaching the normalcy of pre-covid times.  

• Like 1

We have a mid-May Alaska cruise scheduled and are also hoping for a 60-day final payment change. We planned to fly to Seattle from the east coast a few days before our cruise departed.  Timing COVID tests and the possibility of being quarantined in Seattle is causing us some stress. If we received a Future Cruise Credit, we would have an extremely difficult time using it before it expired. And who knows if NCL will be in a position to honor it. As of now we will be canceling before final payment if it remains at 120 days. If conditions improve and NCL does not increase cruise prices, we will revisit booking the same cruise later. We will be looking at comparable RCCL and Carnival Alaska cruises as they seem to have more favorable COVID cancellation policies and actually price out lower.

• Like 1

Given today's announcement of multiple cruise cancellations through April 30...for those of you who were going to still make your final payment(s) at the required 120 mark for cruises scheduled to depart May 1 or later (ours is "currently" still scheduled for departure on May 10, so our final payment is still due on January 10), are you still planning to make your final payment...or are you going to cancel and take back your deposit...? 

My final payment is due 1/19/22 for our 3/20/22 Panama cruise on the Jewel.  What happens if I just don't make the payment.  Do they give you more time like send you a notice for some period or is my reservation gone on 1/20/22?

I have a $250 deposit that I think is non refundable.  I guess I am wondering if I should even officially cancel on the 19th or do I just wait to see if NCL bumps along my reservation to officially cancel me at a later date?

I would still like to go but am not sure I want to shell out $4,000 on the 19th and need to cancel at a later date and go through that.

17 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

My final payment is due 1/19/22 for our 3/20/22 Panama cruise on the Jewel ... I have a $250 deposit that I think is non refundable ... still like to go but am not sure I want to shell out $4,000 on the 19th ... 

Did you take CFAR insurance ?  What is your true/net cost for that $250 deposit made & non-refundable (are you sure)?  Did you book directly with NCL or with a T/A - you need to check directly with & ask them about it?  If you cancel after final payment in full at the 60 days mark - you will tie up $4,000 in money spend/charged and get a FCC in exchange, to be used by/no later than early 2023 - based on the latest published POM.  Question is whether you are okay with that - and, what if, in the somewhat "unlikely" event that NCLH file for bankruptcy ? 

What about your flight costs to em/disembarkation & hotels, testing, etc. to sail, etc. - and, you are in good health since breakthrough cases with Omicron is possible, regardless.  All of that, assuming the surge will peak & begin to ease in a # of weeks , and, ports on that route will be eagerly waiting and open.  Plenty of variables to consider, hmmm.    

3 minutes ago, milolii said:

@Yo Adrienne We will cancel if final remains 120 days.  Our trip is in Europe, though, with more factors and unknowns involved.  Even so, 120 days is too far out for us even if the cruise was in the Caribbean or the West Coast.

We're SO surprised that they haven't dropped the final payment due to 60 days out for May 1 cruises and beyond...!  Seems like, in addition to not receiving final payments (due to cancellations), they'll also have to refund lots of deposits...for those of us with that 120 day due date looming.  And that can't be good for them financially.

We still have a few days before we make our final decision...so we'll continue to cross our fingers that they make such a change and do it quickly. 

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Did you take CFAR insurance ?  What is your true/net cost for that $250 deposit made & non-refundable (are you sure)?  Did you book directly with NCL or with a T/A - you need to check directly with & ask them about it?  If you cancel after final payment in full at the 60 days mark - you will tie up $4,000 in money spend/charged and get a FCC in exchange, to be used by/no later than early 2023 - based on the latest published POM.  Question is whether you are okay with that - and, what if, in the somewhat "unlikely" event that NCLH file for bankruptcy ? 

What about your flight costs to em/disembarkation & hotels, testing, etc. to sail, etc. - and, you are in good health since breakthrough cases with Omicron is possible, regardless.  All of that, assuming the surge will peak & begin to ease in a # of weeks , and, ports on that route will be eagerly waiting and open.  Plenty of variables to consider, hmmm.    

The only insurance I have is NCL standard, which I have not paid yet, due with final payment.  I booked directly with NCL.  I paid them $250 (cash) and they matched for a total of $500 down.  I have airfare through NCL (BOGO) which I haven't paid for yet, due at final payment.

I am not too worried about the $250 I just wonder if it is an automated cancellation if I do not pay my final payment 61 days before sailing or if they give you any chances if you don't pay or cancel?  Is there any benefit to cancelling?

9 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

The only insurance I have is NCL standard, which I have not paid yet, due with final payment.  I booked directly with NCL.  I paid them $250 (cash) and they matched for a total of $500 down.  I have airfare through NCL (BOGO) which I haven't paid for yet, due at final payment.

I am not too worried about the $250 I just wonder if it is an automated cancellation if I do not pay my final payment 61 days before sailing or if they give you any chances if you don't pay or cancel?  Is there any benefit to cancelling?

Here is link to NCL's cancellation policy

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

You must cancel cruise prior to the final payment due date or cancellation penalty will be applied.  If you booked direct with NCL in the US and you cancel cruise prior to the final payment due date you should not lose your $250 deposit.

Edited by kjquilts

2 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

We're SO surprised that they haven't dropped the final payment due to 60 days out for May 1 cruises and beyond...!  Seems like, in addition to not receiving final payments (due to cancellations), they'll also have to refund lots of deposits...for those of us with that 120 day due date looming.  And that can't be good for them financially.

We still have a few days before we make our final decision...so we'll continue to cross our fingers that they make such a change and do it quickly. 

Good luck! 

24 minutes ago, milolii said:

Good luck! 

Thank you...!  And you, too...!  

And was there a final consensus on your roll call discussions about this...?  Are most people cancelling...?  (I'm not sure if you'd mentioned when your 120 day final payment was due...?)