I tested positive

25 minutes ago, Sigma Cruiser said:

Let's be honest. The OP can still pass on the virus on the ship. So, I ask everyone else besides you two...Are these two part of the problem with the virus getting on and spreading on the cruise and thus causing some of the issues on the cruise and also the closing of ports? Or am I not looking at this clearly?

There are lots of recent complaints on here in response to changes in response to COVID, lots of hysteria about the number of positive cases, ramblings about the "horror" of people "getting" and having COVID while on a cruise, and  lots of chatter about not cruising because "omg, you don't want to get COVID while on a cruise".  However,  people, on several recent threads, who report having COVID now (prior to their upcoming sail dates) but still want to cruise in a week or so are sent well wishes and sent messages saying "hope you can get on your cruise". There is no hysteria about how they got COVID,  that they have COVID,  or, that they want to get on a ship. Reading posts here just makes me shake my head sometimes. It's a bit much sometimes. Happy New Year everyone. I'm heading offline for the evening and probably taking a break from here for a while. Be safe everyone, wherever you go 🙂

Edited by blueslily
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

But they're not being truthful.  Apparently they transfer the crew to Vision so that they don't have to report the covid cases as part of the Harmony.  But 300+ passengers is going to be a disaster unless they've figured out a way to change that too.

They will still have to report the crew cases this week to the CDC, the biggest benefit to the cruise line is they will not be counted next week, so the ship gets to start at zero with the next cruise.

In addition if the quarantine ship is not planning to sail from the US in the near future they may not have to report any other cases on that ship since it is outside of US waters.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm sure more do than don't. It's even easier now that you can wear a mask to cover symptoms like a runny nose.  Nobody is going to fly or drive to port with symptoms and not lie on the questionnaire. 

If I recall correctly a couple of weeks ago someone on one of Royal's ships, the one that first had around 50 cases I think, someone had symptoms, boarded, waited until the ship left port, then went down to medical, tested positive and the ship returned to FLL to let the person off.  That was the start to a somewhat problematic cruise.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, nocl said:

They will still have to report the crew cases this week to the CDC, the biggest benefit to the cruise line is they will not be counted next week, so the ship gets to start at zero with the next cruise.

In addition if the quarantine ship is not planning to sail from the US in the near future they may not have to report any other cases on that ship since it is outside of US waters.

That information makes me feel so much better, a way to beat the system and have safe ships sailing for the first hour after the cruise leaves the home  port............after that you are on your own. Good Luck

• Like 1

I agree that this is frustrating for both the cruise lines and the passengers.  However, I am more concerned about people and their children, who are unvaccinated, boarding without being totally forthcoming about their medical status.  I would be just fine with 100% vaccination -- if the child is not vaccinated then the family should plan another type of vacation.   I cruised in mid-December and there were no outbreaks on my ship; sailed on Princess Regal and then Royal Freedom of the Seas.  No children on Princess and about 60 on Royal.  Even though there are areas/activities on Royal designated for unvaccinated passengers, I don't think the staff is limited to a vaccinated or unvaccinated area.  Consequently, whatever is transmitted in the unvaccinated area can easily be transmitted to the vaccinated area.  We will never reach 0% infections (on board or on land) because there are some very strong opinions about mandates and vaccination requirements.  I am not addressing that dialogue and I am not trying to open a conversation about the merit of people's preferences -- I am simply pointing out that perhaps the cruising rules should change to vaccination or no sail, no matter the passenger's age.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

I don't think for long.  I think this gets shut down in January.  What we're seeing now is chaos.  You should see the hallway in this Covid area.  It's full of trash and red hazmat bags.  It's gross.

I’m not a Germaphobe but this is making me slightly nauseous. I have my cruise to no where on the Symphony on 1/29 with 5000 of my closest friends.

I keep telling myself I’m safer on the ship than my state but…

5 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Harmony.

I would not be surprised if half of this ship were actually infected.  They aren't testing enough so we won't ever know the real numbers.  I was told there were 300 passengers infected two days ago.  Who knows how many since that count...I know we're in addition to that.  And I know a whole slew came through after they tested the unvaxxed kids this afternoon.

Why don’t you start tweeting the press about this? That is the fastest way to get results 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Noble724 said:

I agree that this is frustrating for both the cruise lines and the passengers.  However, I am more concerned about people and their children, who are unvaccinated, boarding without being totally forthcoming about their medical status.  I would be just fine with 100% vaccination -- if the child is not vaccinated then the family should plan another type of vacation.   I cruised in mid-December and there were no outbreaks on my ship; sailed on Princess Regal and then Royal Freedom of the Seas.  No children on Princess and about 60 on Royal.  Even though there are areas/activities on Royal designated for unvaccinated passengers, I don't think the staff is limited to a vaccinated or unvaccinated area.  Consequently, whatever is transmitted in the unvaccinated area can easily be transmitted to the vaccinated area.  We will never reach 0% infections (on board or on land) because there are some very strong opinions about mandates and vaccination requirements.  I am not addressing that dialogue and I am not trying to open a conversation about the merit of people's preferences -- I am simply pointing out that perhaps the cruising rules should change to vaccination or no sail, no matter the passenger's age.  

Vaccines are great for reducing symptoms and keeping folks out of the hospital but won't stop transmissions. In fact, my nephew (who is the same age as my youngest) is in the hospital right now (was admitted yesterday) with covid and he contracted it a week after his first dose of vaccine. Don't get me wrong, vaccine and boosters are the way to go but those should not lull you into complacency or make you feel that you are immune from catching/transmitting covid. The transmissibility of this is off the charts. The only surefire way to avoid this one is to stay home and away from others. Anyone worried about covid shouldn't cruise.    

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yes, cruise companies are desperate. However, a mass outbreak means that the cruise company has made bad choices and failed to protect their guests.

The pax booked their cruises based on the promises made by RCI. They were expecting a dream cruise. Instead things turned ugly. They have every right to complain. You cannot expect everyone to be as brave as you are.

End of Message. Happy cruising!

It's not about bravery, It's about risk. Taking a cruise during a pandemic is a risk, some will get lucky and some will crap out and get their cruise disrupted. Department stores, the airlines, restaurants/bars, sporting events, buses, trains and other mass gatherings also spread covid and won't protect you either or pay for any costs if you catch covid at these places; yet only cruises have this impossible expectation to be perfect and to remove risk from the equation. A dream cruise during a pandemic is a bit of an unrealistic expectation IMO.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Normally I would agree, but the way they are treating us is not great.  Customer service is awful. Guest Services has been a nightmare to deal with.  there is absolutely no empathy and they just don't seem to care.  It truly feels like "F You.  Get off the ship tomorrow and good luck.  Here's a paper with some info".

RCL does not pay them enough to care, when it comes to c/s you get what you pay for.

I am so sorry you are going thru this, please let me know if I can help 

4 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

Why don’t you start tweeting the press about this? That is the fastest way to get results 

Oh we did.  People are lawyering up....and their story is not mine to tell.  But conditions were BAD down here.

They told a positive passenger to take an Uber this morning. Uber!  I'm still mind blown at that.  And no help whatsoever in finding a hotel.

I still don't know if my hotel will cover us or our stay in quarantine.  No idea how we're getting there either. And I was told basically "oh well" on the phone yesterday if I can't fly back home.  

Honestly, the covid part was BAD.  Epically bad.  But I find that the way we're being treated and trying to get home has been the worst part of it all.  I feel like they're just washing their hands of us.  Guest Services said "open a claim with the travel insurance".  That's it.  Oh - and I think we get a letter as disembarkation as they put us out.  I *think*.  Who knows at this point.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nocl said:

If I recall correctly a couple of weeks ago someone on one of Royal's ships, the one that first had around 50 cases I think, someone had symptoms, boarded, waited until the ship left port, then went down to medical, tested positive and the ship returned to FLL to let the person off.  That was the start to a somewhat problematic cruise.

I can only assume that their symptoms got so bad and they couldn't handle it so they went to medical. Why someone would board knowing that they were sick and then report to medical to be quarantined is beyond me. In this case they turned around but what if they didn't?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosy Season said:

Oh we did.  People are lawyering up....and their story is not mine to tell.  But conditions were BAD down here.

They told a positive passenger to take an Uber this morning. Uber!  I'm still mind blown at that.  And no help whatsoever in finding a hotel.

I still don't know if my hotel will cover us or our stay in quarantine.  No idea how we're getting there either. And I was told basically "oh well" on the phone yesterday if I can't fly back home.  

Honestly, the covid part was BAD.  Epically bad.  But I find that the way we're being treated and trying to get home has been the worst part of it all.  I feel like they're just washing their hands of us.  Guest Services said "open a claim with the travel insurance".  That's it.  Oh - and I think we get a letter as disembarkation as they put us out.  I *think*.  Who knows at this point.

I posted on your other thread just now, do not leave without a letter from medical with the date your daughter was positive.   You will need for any claim on travel insurance.  Like the first day of hotel you paid for, 

Also, make new flight home for you and daughter on one of the airlines that changed their isolation policy to 5 days,   You may be able to charge that back to insurance as trip interruption - but you will need a letter from medical with date of positive.   Don’t let them make you leave without it.  (You will also need to show airline the date) 

Edited by BSocial
Added
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BSocial said:

I posted on your other thread just now, do not leave without a letter from medical with the date your daughter was positive.   You will need for any claim on travel insurance.  Like the first day of hotel you paid for, 

Also, make new flight home for you and daughter on one of the airlines that changed their isolation policy to 5 days,   You may be able to charge that back to insurance as trip interruption - but you will need a letter from medical with date of positive.   Don’t let the, make you leave without it. 

I just looked at what they gave me.  I have a letter from the first negative test saying it was "the common cold".  Nothing about the positive test.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Also, make new flight home for you and daughter on one of the airlines that changed their isolation policy to 5 days,   You may be able to charge that back to insurance as trip interruption - but you will need a letter from medical with date of positive.   Don’t let the, make you leave without it. 

They just said we are going to get the letter from guest services manager before we leave the port.  I don't believe them.

5 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

They just said we are going to get the letter from guest services manager before we leave the port.  I don't believe them.

hold your ground, and do not leave the ship without the “CoVid positive and date” letter.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

They were expecting a dream cruise. Instead things turned ugly. They have every right to complain. You cannot expect everyone to be as brave as you are.

End of Message. Happy cruising!

No one should expect a "Dream Cruise" right now.  The best that can be hoped for is to mask up, maybe see a show, maybe dock at your ports, and hope you don't end up in quarantine.  Some here claim that's a dream cruise now because they're "on a ship" and "looking at the ocean".  Addiction is a fascinating thing.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

Oh I definitely understand why they do that.  

And yes, that time has come . This needs to shut down for a few weeks.

I believe I heard the cdc said no need to test asymptomatic person that was exposed to a positive tested person.   They have been changing their guidelines the last couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I believe I heard the cdc said no need to test asymptomatic person that was exposed to a positive tested person.   They have been changing their guidelines the last couple of days.

They've been changing their "guidelines" the last couple years.......

• Like 6

My family and I were on the Harmony Christmas cruise. I read a post where someone claimed many were not wearing masks and passengers were coughing. Totally false! Mask wearing was strictly enforced and adhered to. The crew did an excellent job to keep the passengers safe and healthy. Covid is highly contagious, despite all reasonable precautions. No cruise line can guarantee a 100% Covid-free cruise… even with most being vaxed. Just use common sense. 

• Like 4

Ask yourself this question. Have you ever said to yourself after hearing about a ship outbreak.  " why the hell would someone get on the ship if there sick and make everyone else sick" than you know what you have to do. But honestly they are now saying if you have a fever and it broke for at least 24 hours you're won't not contagious.