Day 2 testing UK arrivals

Solent Richard

10 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Has Cunard assisted with booking day 2 PCR tests for passengers choosing to fly? Having arrived Gatwick from Britannia this.morning Expresstest were turning people without bookings away. Do we have any idea how many took the flight option and are they sharing Britannia charter flights or on their own one?

I'm not sure why Cunard would even be obligated to make such assistance: they no doubt have their hands pretty full with more pressing matters.

The day 2 tests are, after all, a personal obligation required by the UK government.

When my wife and I returned to the UK from a 'Carnival Corporation' cruise our pre-arrival test requirements were efficiently handled by the company and at NO cost...

514022131_CarnivalCovidtestReportpixelated.thumb.jpg.6e3b3408f215ef068b388c2ebe5ae0f8.jpg

We arranged and paid for Day 2 tests ourselves... 

903880559_Randox1Day2TestKits.thumb.jpg.c21c03573e5283e4ae6cf7e07cd79ca2.jpg

...using a very good company who fortuitously had a convenient 'drop box' at Southampton...

871743650_Randox3Day2DropBoxatRownhamsServicesM27.thumb.jpg.0faca8741c7c15fe3d6350751dbb62e2.jpg

Dropped off within half an hour  of disembarkation we had the 'Negative' test result by 10.58 am the following day.

Edited by Solent Richard

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm not sure why Cunard would even be obligated to make such assistance: they no doubt have their hands pretty full with more pressing matters.

The day 2 tests are, after all, a personal obligation required by the UK government.

When my wife and I returned to the UK from a 'Carnival Corporation' cruise our pre-arrival test requirements were efficiently handled by the company and at NO cost...

514022131_CarnivalCovidtestReportpixelated.thumb.jpg.6e3b3408f215ef068b388c2ebe5ae0f8.jpg

...using a very good company who fortuitously had a convenient 'drop box' at Southampton...

871743650_Randox3Day2DropBoxatRownhamsServicesM27.thumb.jpg.0faca8741c7c15fe3d6350751dbb62e2.jpg

Dropped off within half an hour  of disembarkation we had the 'Negative' test result by 10.58 am the following day.

Oh that's clever! So you booked your test so you took it on the cruise with you and then did it as soon as you got off the ship?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

The reason I asked is because if passengers are arriving home by air far earlier than expected their arrangements for PCR test will most likely mean any ordered PCR test will be for a different date.  

I arrived to the UK yesterday 1 January from a Carnival Corporation cruise (Britannia). When trying to purchase my day 2 test prior to departure I was informed a large number of companies including the one you show in your photograph would not be operating their drop boxes in a large amount of places between 24 December and 4 January due to the holidays.  

Therefore any air arrivals may not be able to fulfil their UK Government obligations and I had thought that perhaps Cunard might be aware of the potential difficulties and offer help.

Regarding onboard testing I'm glad you got yours for free.  All onboard now have to pay, we were charged £18.00 for the antigen test to leave the ship on 31 December and anyone leaving on 1 January and wishing to go ashore on both days were required to take two of these tests at a cost of £18.00 each.

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I hate to raise the obvious question but how do they know these tests are done correctly? Surely the one way  anyone could not fake a test is for test to be done at the pier by cunard staff and only cunard staff at the dockside.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The reason I asked is because if passengers are arriving home by air far earlier than expected their arrangements for PCR test will most likely mean any ordered PCR test will be for a different date.  

I arrived to the UK yesterday 1 January from a Carnival Corporation cruise (Britannia). When trying to purchase my day 2 test prior to departure I was informed a large number of companies including the one you show in your photograph would not be operating their drop boxes in a large amount of places between 24 December and 4 January due to the holidays.  

Therefore any air arrivals may not be able to fulfil their UK Government obligations and I had thought that perhaps Cunard might be aware of the potential difficulties and offer help.

Regarding onboard testing I'm glad you got yours for free.  All onboard now have to pay, we were charged £18.00 for the antigen test to leave the ship on 31 December and anyone leaving on 1 January and wishing to go ashore on both days were required to take two of these tests at a cost of £18.00 each.

Are the onboard tests optional - i.e. if I don't plan on getting off in Hamburg for our port stop, I can choose not to take a test or are they mandatory no matter what?

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I hate to raise the obvious question but how do they know these tests are done correctly? Surely the one way  anyone could not fake a test is for test to be done at the pier by cunard staff and only cunard staff at the dockside.

Except that  the Day 2 test is not the responsibility of Cunard but a Government requirement needed within 2 days of arriving in the UK by air, rail or sea. Cunard undertake the pre landing tests (pre departure with air travel). In December when I was on QE they did them for free because of the introduction of them mid cruise something they should be thanked for. Since then they have like any other carrier charged for them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Oh that's clever! So you booked your test so you took it on the cruise with you and then did it as soon as you got off the ship?

Correct, as did many others. 

Indeed, my only worry was that with so many following the same procedure I wondered whether the Drop Box would be overflowing with packages. 😁

Of course, had there been a problem, or unavailability of a suitable drop box,  then the system is also designed for the designated Royal Mail 'Priority' post boxes.

11 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Are the onboard tests optional - i.e. if I don't plan on getting off in Hamburg for our port stop, I can choose not to take a test or are they mandatory no matter what?

In December only passengers visiting Lisbon for the day had to take a test, passengers staying on board did not. Obviously other ports may differ. Incidentally Cunard went to the trouble of getting the tests for anyone visiting Lisbon accepted for entry to the UK to avoid further test.

Edited by Matelot70

28 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I hate to give the obvious answer. It surely is in your personal best interest to do them correctly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

They certainly weren't optional on our cruise. 

5 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Correct, as did many others. 

Indeed, my only worry was that with so many following the same procedure I wondered whether the Drop Box would be overflowing with packages. 😁

Of course, had there been a problem, or unavailability of a suitable drop box,  then the system is also designed for the designated Royal Mail 'Priority' post boxes.

Wow thanks!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

As I have mentioned in an answer above, had there been a problem, or unavailability of a suitable drop box,  then the system is also designed for use with the designated Royal Mail 'Priority' post boxes.

You don't say by whom you were  'informed' regarding the non operation of boxes between certain dates. On matters of such personal importance I'd have ensured that my requirements were confirmed in advance by the company I was dealing with: in this case Randox.  

Edited by Solent Richard

2 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

As I have mentioned in an answer below, had there been a problem, or unavailability of a suitable drop box,  then the system is also designed for use with the designated Royal Mail 'Priority' post boxes.

You don't say by whom you were  'informed' regarding the non operation of boxes between certain dates. On matters of such personal importance I'd have ensured that my requirements were confirmed in advance by the company I was dealing with: in this case Randox.  

I have no idea why you have chosen to take this stance on a perfectly reasonable question but the answer is as follows:

On 30th November I visited the UK Government website to find a supplier for a PCR day 2 test for 1 January 2022 the day I returned from Barbados from my cruise.  Only 17 suppliers came up, mainly in central London. This included postal and in person appointments and I thought there was an error. Further investigation with the Government department confirmed this to be the case and I was advised to check each individual companies' website for holiday collection, drop off and booking conditions. The Royal Mail priority boxes were also affected.

Randox had numerous sites stating the non availability- I did look at them as a reputable supplier near my home town, well at least within 50 miles.  Some people on the P&O board living in Cornwall were being directed 150 miles from their homes. Thec17 companies proved to be correct and I booked for an appointment at Gatwick airport's drive thru facility. 

My observation regarding Expresstest at Gatwick was from observing many passengers trying to get walk ups yesterday.

Therefore if passengers were relying on purchasing a postal test for 48 hour tests and a quick release for work they may not get their results for almost a week and would need to remain in isolation.

My brother in fact returned to UK from a cruise the week before Christmas. His ordered test had not arrived before departure and was not there on return either. It took 5 days upon his return for it to be found and it was 7 days before he got this result from Randox.

Also the laboratories both private and Government are stating they cannot handle the number of PCR tests being submitted. I was not finding fault with Cunard merely asking how the situation might be being handled.

Apologies for asking a stupid question  - but since we're talking about tests....when ordering a Day-2 post-arrival PCR test online, I'm asked to enter the country we have departed from. We're on the 14th January Caribbean round trip, with the last scheduled stop before Soton being Tenerife;  so do i put down Spain? And if so, what happens if we end up not calling at Tenerife? Sorry if i'm being ultra-dim.

25 minutes ago, Wordzz said:

Apologies for asking a stupid question  - but since we're talking about tests....when ordering a Day-2 post-arrival PCR test online, I'm asked to enter the country we have departed from. We're on the 14th January Caribbean round trip, with the last scheduled stop before Soton being Tenerife;  so do i put down Spain? And if so, what happens if we end up not calling at Tenerife? Sorry if i'm being ultra-dim.

Don't worry about it. Nobody checks it.

• Like 1

• Host Hattie changed the title to Day 2 testing UK arrivals
4 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I hate to give the obvious answer. It surely is in your personal best interest to do them correctly.

Or fake it for the refund if you don't want to wear a mask for example or just don't want to cruise in this climate of Omicron.

I think you just have to apply some logic rather than trying to stick to the letter. It's largely designed with a person arriving by air in mind, and the country is data to help with understanding how the spread of new variants occurs.

21 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Can you provide any link to where Randox confirm the use and availability of all Royal Mail Priority boxes please ? 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:34 AM, Solent Richard said:

Where is this drop box located? I’d rather get ours dropped off ASAP before our return journey north later this month.

1 hour ago, Jimmys Chippy said:

Where is this drop box located? I’d rather get ours dropped off ASAP before our return journey north later this month.

There are two places within the Southampton area. The nearest to the cruise terminal is at Ocean Village.

The one I used is on the M27 northern lane at the Rownhams Service area.

5 hours ago, Broadside said:

Can you provide any link to where Randox confirm the use and availability of all Royal Mail Priority boxes please ? 

I seem to recall that on the Randox step guide they prefer you to use their drop box. If this does not suit then an alternative courier as long as they can be delivered within 70 hours.

Randox 2 Day 2 Test completed.jpg

23 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Or fake it for the refund if you don't want to wear a mask for example or just don't want to cruise in this climate of Omicron.

Not really sure what your point is.

Why wouldn't I want to go cruising?

Three now completed since August 2021 and two more in the next 6 months.