Day 2 testing UK arrivals

Solent Richard

On 1/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, Megabear2 said:

I have no idea why you have chosen to take this stance on a perfectly reasonable question but the answer is as follows:

On 30th November I visited the UK Government website to find a supplier for a PCR day 2 test for 1 January 2022 the day I returned from Barbados from my cruise.  Only 17 suppliers came up, mainly in central London. This included postal and in person appointments and I thought there was an error. Further investigation with the Government department confirmed this to be the case and I was advised to check each individual companies' website for holiday collection, drop off and booking conditions. The Royal Mail priority boxes were also affected.

Randox had numerous sites stating the non availability- I did look at them as a reputable supplier near my home town, well at least within 50 miles.  Some people on the P&O board living in Cornwall were being directed 150 miles from their homes. Thec17 companies proved to be correct and I booked for an appointment at Gatwick airport's drive thru facility. 

My observation regarding Expresstest at Gatwick was from observing many passengers trying to get walk ups yesterday.

Therefore if passengers were relying on purchasing a postal test for 48 hour tests and a quick release for work they may not get their results for almost a week and would need to remain in isolation.

My brother in fact returned to UK from a cruise the week before Christmas. His ordered test had not arrived before departure and was not there on return either. It took 5 days upon his return for it to be found and it was 7 days before he got this result from Randox.

Also the laboratories both private and Government are stating they cannot handle the number of PCR tests being submitted. I was not finding fault with Cunard merely asking how the situation might be being handled.

Nothing personal I assure you. 

I take the view that knowledge is power.

While I realise facebook is not always well received on this board the cruise group  pages offer a mine of information. It was on one such group that Randox came to prominence as a good provider company. 

Interesting also that I discovered that  my holiday insurance company offers a 10% discount code for Randox

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Not really sure what your point is.

Why wouldn't I want to go cruising?

Three now completed since August 2021 and two more in the next 6 months.

Not you per say but people in general. How can Cunard know a test has been done properly unless Cunard does it?

13 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Not you per say but people in general. How can Cunard know a test has been done properly unless Cunard does it?

Surely we are talking about 'Day 2' testing - having left the ship.

If it impacts on Cunard they do the tests - prior to embarkation or onboard when required by countries being visited.

That shouldn't be too difficult to grasp.

17 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I seem to recall that on the Randox step guide they prefer you to use their drop box. If this does not suit then an alternative courier as long as they can be delivered within 70 hours.

My understanding is that with Randox it is not allowed to simply put them straight into in a Royal Mail Priority Box (instead of a Randox drop Box ) . They can be alternatively couriered / sent by Royal Mail but at an extra cost and at the customers own organisation and risk if they don't arrive in time or at all. 

People seem to be arguing here for the sake of it..

Cunard do the testing before you get on the ship (Its that simple)

The day 2 test is a UK matter for the individual to complete when they return to the UK by any means of transport.. You cant fill out a PLF without booking a day 2 test.

Broadside is correct - as we use Randox - by the way if you enter FLYRYANAIR into the code box f it gives you a discount (it doesnt actually care your not flying with them (not that anyone would want to 🙂 )

The cheapest way though is to pick one from a click and collect.. Personally from experience I wouldnt use Eurofins ever again

18 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

There are two places within the Southampton area. The nearest to the cruise terminal is at Ocean Village.

The one I used is on the M27 northern lane at the Rownhams Service area.

Cheers. Found a map of locations and there’s one at Sutton Scotney Northbound which will be great for us and will get picked up later that day. 

51 minutes ago, Jimmys Chippy said:

Cheers. Found a map of locations and there’s one at Sutton Scotney Northbound which will be great for us and will get picked up later that day. 

I picked my Randox day 2 tests up from the glamorous Ilford shopping centre a few weeks ago - all seems pretty straightforward, and there is a drop box 5 minutes walk from London Waterloo train station, so will be easy to drop them off on my way home.  At £35 each they were also the cheapest I could find.

• Like 1

Just to clarify I was only mentioning possible problems for those arriving UK over the long holiday period not in general. Passengers arriving unexpectedly on 2 January from Barbados may have encountered a problem but most won't have done.

The next potential problem of this type will most likely occur at Easter in April if, of course,  tests are still required.

8 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Ooh the government's changed the day 2 pcr?! Does anyone have the latest, I can't keep up!

Last time we were due to sail we had to change our 2 day UK arrival lft to a PCR, now we are due to sail tomorrow they have changed it back again. I think? We are just going to stcick with the pcr, it's too much hassle to change it again!

19 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Last time we were due to sail we had to change our 2 day UK arrival lft to a PCR, now we are due to sail tomorrow they have changed it back again. I think? We are just going to stcick with the pcr, it's too much hassle to change it again!

Gosh I can't keep up ha, good news tho. Good luck with sailing tomo- let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

Can't add much more than to say we would 100% use the randox testing again (day 2 pcr) or even the day 2 LFT I expect then to offer soon.    No hassle, drop-box as you leave port, and you can take the test onboard with you to avoid unexpected problems on trip.   Given we are off on a cruise again in Feb for the wifes birthday on QM2 (hopefully) we expected to need another day2 PCR pair of tests, but will buy LFT's now.   

32 minutes ago, starquake said:

Can't add much more than to say we would 100% use the randox testing again (day 2 pcr) or even the day 2 LFT I expect then to offer soon.    No hassle, drop-box as you leave port, and you can take the test onboard with you to avoid unexpected problems on trip.   Given we are off on a cruise again in Feb for the wifes birthday on QM2 (hopefully) we expected to need another day2 PCR pair of tests, but will buy LFT's now.   

There LFT are easy as you use their Randox Certifly app and get confirmation back almost immediately.  Remember to use the Coupon Code of BritishAirways at checkout for a discount.