Under 18 get D, D+ and P Drink Vouchers?

Happy New Year everyone.  Have not sailed since early 2020. 

I am wondering if under 18 get the happy hour drink vouchers loaded on their card now?  Son goes with us to DL Happy Hour events pre covid.  Since there is no DL Happy Hour, am wondering if he gets 5 drinks to be used daily on his seapass?

Royal treats the under 18, D and above members a little different.  I can see if you were gained status with parents cruise status it would be restricted benefits.  If a minor has cruise points that qualify for status, they should get the same age appropriate benefits like internet, wash and fold bag, drink vouchers, etc. 

Edited by frank808

• frank808 changed the title to Under 18 get D, D+ and P Drink Vouchers?

To the best of my knowledge, Royal does NOT treat the benefits for children that achieved a level based on their parents status.

The one difference if status was (mostly) achieved through a parent is the child will maintain the status level (platinum, diamond, diamond+) of the parent once they turn 18, however they will have the points that they actually earned.

Soooooo.... An extreme example...  .if a kiddo has sailed only once for a 7 day cruise and their parents are diamond when the kiddo turns 18.... the kiddo will be a Diamond with 7 points and they would be 168 points away from Diamond Plus.  They would still maintain Diamond status and all of it's benefits forever (at least under the current terms).

Also, the status matching does NOT apply for pinnacle.  they have to achieve on their own.

And yes, they do get the 5 (or 6 for D+) vouchers loaded on their card.

Edited by AustinCruise

47 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

To the best of my knowledge, Royal does NOT treat the benefits for children that achieved a level based on their parents status.

The one difference if status was (mostly) achieved through a parent is the child will maintain the status level (platinum, diamond, diamond+) of the parent once they turn 18, however they will have the points that they actually earned.

Soooooo.... An extreme example...  .if a kiddo has sailed only once for a 7 day cruise and their parents are diamond when the kiddo turns 18.... the kiddo will be a Diamond with 7 points and they would be 168 points away from Diamond Plus.  They would still maintain Diamond status and all of it's benefits forever (at least under the current terms).

Also, the status matching does NOT apply for pinnacle.  they have to achieve on their own.

Slight correction.  5 for D+.  6 is for pinnacle. 

• Like 2

The drinks were loaded onto our daughters card on our Thanksgiving Cruise, but not all of the perks were, for example the free photo.  She qualifies for Diamond Plus completely on her own, but since she's a minor they don't give them the full benefits that adults get. It's nice that they do now do the drinks as they didn't used to. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sharktums said:

The drinks were loaded onto our daughters card on our Thanksgiving Cruise, but not all of the perks were, for example the free photo.  She qualifies for Diamond Plus completely on her own, but since she's a minor they don't give them the full benefits that adults get. It's nice that they do now do the drinks as they didn't used to. 

Yeah.  Seems like they don’t really need to so they haven’t.  Kids don’t book cruises and parents don’t based on loyalty programs for kids.  We always wished we had the extra free pictures with our kids, but I understand why they don’t.  Our daughter was diamond on her own points long before she was 2.  My son, not so lucky.  😂

On 1/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, AustinCruise said:

Not true. When my DD turned eighteen she retained our status and our points. Before she turned eighteen we cruised without her seven times and she will be turning Diamond plus on our next cruise with us since she has cruised with us the last three times. All of our points are 167.  (Since she could afford to pay for herself). My younger DD will age out as Diamond+ and she will not be on this upcoming cruise. 

Edited by thewebbys

5 hours ago, thewebbys said:

Not true. When my DD turned eighteen she retained our status and our points. Before she turned eighteen we cruised without her seven times and she will be turning Diamond plus on our next cruise with us since she has cruised with us the last three times. All of our points are 167.  (Since she could afford to pay for herself). My younger DD will age out as Diamond+ and she will not be on this upcoming cruise. 

Eventually they will most likely catch the points and she will revert to her own points but retain your status. Sometimes it takes a while.

• Like 4

Hijacking this thread a little...

How do the Diamond/Diamond+ perks work for 18-20 year olds?  Do they get all the adult (21+) perks (except access to alcoholic drinks, of course!).   Do they get the free picture?  Also, what about the welcome gift in the room?  Do they get that?   

I'm very glad to hear that they get the drink vouchers added to their card every day.  DD is going on two cruises with Royal over the next few months and will be 18 on the first and 19 on the second.  I've been wondering how the perks would work for this very particular age group.

TIA

2 hours ago, Gaynors said:

Do they get all the adult (21+) perks (except access to alcoholic drinks, of course!).   Do they get the free picture?  Also, what about the welcome gift in the room?  Do they get that?   

They should. Have him go to a bar and ask the bartender to print the perks (or any place that has a point of sale terminal with a printer) - it may or may not be exactly the same as the welcome letter lists.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

They should. Have him go to a bar and ask the bartender to print the perks (or any place that has a point of sale terminal with a printer) - it may or may not be exactly the same as the welcome letter lists.

thank you!!  

I've already mentioned that they need to call C&A to specify what welcome amenity they want.. both DD 18 and DS 21 need to do this before our May cruise.  If they don't call I believe they just get water.

On 1/5/2022 at 5:55 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Eventually they will most likely catch the points and she will revert to her own points but retain your status. Sometimes it takes a while.

Five years? She is now 23.

Edited by thewebbys

2 hours ago, thewebbys said:

Sometimes they catch it.  Sometimes they don't.  Sometimes, someone sees it but doesn't bother to correct it for one reason or another. 

Tell her that she should not ask for a points audit should there be a mistake in the future unless it is an ENORMOUS mistake! 😉

• Like 2

11 hours ago, thewebbys said:

Has she cruised on her own (without you) since she turned 18? That’s what triggered it for my 26-year-old daughter. Before that cruise her status matched mine.  When they updated her account with the new cruise points after that it reset her to the level she held at the age of 18 — which was based on our status at the time (Emerald) — and reset the number of  points to what she herself has actually sailed (not us her parents). 

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, thewebbys said:

It's true. When you go on your next cruise and YOU turn Diamond Plus, she will not.

9 hours ago, ppfqp said:

Has she cruised on her own (without you) since she turned 18? That’s what triggered it for my 26-year-old daughter. Before that cruise her status matched mine.  When they updated her account with the new cruise points after that it reset her to the level she held at the age of 18 — which was based on our status at the time (Emerald) — and reset the number of  points to what she herself has actually sailed (not us her parents). 

Yes she has cruised 3 times. Our last cruise was in October and her cruise points is still the same as ours. 

Thanks for your answer.  So we know that he will be able to get drinks also.

Children not having most benefits because of parents status I understand.  But when a minor has over 400 cruise points themselves, it does not seem fair to me.  Reminded my son that he needs to get last 200 points to make P on his dime.  Being in 10th grade he is only cruising at most 21 days a year for the next 2 years.  Then maybe 1 or 2 cruises till he graduates college.  Should take him to the last level of D+ where he can get 3 choices on sailings of at least 7 nights. 

Happy cruising to all!