Discovery stuck in Barbados

Due to Omicron, winter sailings have been problematic, particularly for the Caribbean. Some of the 'lucky' ones who are actually going, have had flight changes at short notice. Some Explorer 2 cruises have now been cancelled. There's no predictability unfortunately.

If you book excursions via TUi, you will get the money back if the cruise is cancelled. Independant excursions would be a risk and need an insurance claim I think.

• Like 1

Copied from the Cunard page a post by @bluemarble     

It's a busy day at Bridgetown today. Here's the QM2 bridge webcam image showing not only Marella Explorer 2 but also Marella Discovery anchored off shore in the distance.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2824082-cunard-qm2-14th-jan-to-11th-feb-2022/?do=findComment&comment=62526620

I personally suspect Discovery is being used as quarantine/hospital ship having already had cases aboard whilst Ex2 (being super clean after her atlantic crossing) is taking on Discos cruises and new clean passengers as her Jamaican adventures were cancelled. 

2 hours ago, bishop84 said:

I see that the 30 Jan cruise on Discovery is no longer showing on the Marella website. I hope this is due to it being sold out to capacity rather than cancelled!

Won’t be sold out

however due to the Barbados testing requirements it makes sense for it to be removed three days before departure, so I think this is “business as usual”

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ferretktf said:

Won’t be sold out

however due to the Barbados testing requirements it makes sense for it to be removed three days before departure, so I think this is “business as usual”

Checked a couple of days ago out of curiosity and I could have chosen from all cabins and flight options. So not sold out.

And the cruise I WAS going on March 13th is now £2500 less than the final invoice payment that I would have paid. All the options I wanted are still available. Hypothetical question: would they have allowed me to shift to the same cruise at the new price?

Irrelevant anyway - booked a land based holiday in Jersey for a fraction of the price to use the deposit paid and have a holiday closer to home

I did the thing you should never do and that is run the holiday we moved with them last year which departs in a few weeks, it was stacks cheaper so if it's cancelled I'll just ask for a refund and chance my luck another time. So annoying I think some cruise lines actually give you the difference back if it's cheaper, forget who but that would have been nice, could use the cash for excursions.

I could always cancel and rebook but knowing my luck the flights would have changed or something.

TUi probably have a price model called ' The customer never wins unless we are desperate for revenue'

I believe its Saga that give the difference back, which I think it's because early bookers get the lowest prices, whereas its the opposite with Tui (in normal times)

Edited by howmuch!

The way to handle price drops is as  follows ...

if you are in the period that allows you to make free changes

1:  Switch to another cruise in the future

2:  Switch back to take advantage of lower price

You might now get the same cabin as originally purchased but you coudl save (as stated above) £2500

Even if you are too late and are in the period where you would lose your deposit by switching, you can still save money this way if the price drop is greater than your deposit.

** However - when switching you lose any booking incentives that you may have had on your original purchase - for example if you took advantage of a £300 code then you will lose that discount - so you do need to do the maths **

@idh2019As you have already switched, you could now look to switch back if it made sense for you

Edited by ferretktf

16 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

TUi probably have a price model called ' The customer never wins unless we are desperate for revenue'

I believe its Saga that give the difference back, which I think it's because early bookers get the lowest prices, whereas its the opposite with Tui (in normal times)

Yep saga give the difference back but as onboard credit / trips and similar but not a cash refund.

Our cruise with Marella was cancelled in April 2020. We opted for a refund as we realised a world wide pandemic wouldn't be over quickly.  We waited three months for our refund, lots of telephone calls, emails and hanging on the phone, but worth it as have read on several cruise forums about the stress caused to people who continually re-book only to have their cruises cancelled again and again and losing their re-booking incentives. 

We have enjoyed many cruises with Thomson / Marella and we will book again when things get back to a bit more normal as we feel at the moment it just wouldn't be the experience we are used too.

The money is in the bank, obviously not earning much in the way of interest, but it's safe and waiting till the time is right for us to cruise again. 

In the meantime we have enjoyed a few lovely staycations and have a few planned for this year. 

Unfortunately ours was cancelled March 2020 and although we received a cash refund for our deposit, after a fight, we had a voucher for the remainder, even though they had promised cash in writing, our solicitor informed us because of the term's we had to accept it🙄 have used the voucher to book a land based holiday, but will probably not go, my recommendation is that if offered accept a cash refund and certainly not a voucher or a different date for your cruise. 🤞

On 1/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Rebel Rouser said:

Marella Explorer - this morning ( Thurs 27th ) in Funchal, Madeira - she is the only Marella ship at the moment sailing with guests but Discovery is scheduled to re-start on Sunday 30th January from Barbados and then Explorer 2 on 1st March from Jamaica

Do we know if Discovery has moved?

3 hours ago, bluewater2111 said:

Do we know if Discovery has moved?

She's currently taking on passengers in Bridgetown Harbour.

Also docked there are Explorer 2, plus "Grandeur of the Seas" (Right); "Viking Sea" (Left) and the "Christina O" (smaller, bottom)

barbados.JPG