Laminae with a Guest

lv2cruisgrl

We have a Sky suite next year on Apex and some friends are thinking of taking the same cruise.  However they would be in IV room.  I understand if it's not too crowded in Laminae they may allow them to dine with us once or twice.  First has anyone done this and if so is there a cost associated with it? If so what is it? Thank you!!

Yes, we checked first with the Luminae manager, reserved ahead for the larger table, and invited non-suite guests to join us for dinner one evening. If I recall correctly, the cost was $20 or possibly $25 per person in November 2019, charged to our shipboard account.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

By the way, we also had our butler arrange for a small party for us + our four guests in the suite before the Luminae dinner. We provided the champagne which he chilled, and he provided stemware, napkins, plates, a shrimp platter and cheese plate at no cost. He cleaned everything up afterward. We gave him a tip in appreciation, of course.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I didn't think this was possible. Interesting.

Caveat:  "space available seating".  With suites being heavily booked on some cruises, be sure to provide Luminae concierge plenty of notice of your wish to do this or it'll be catch as catch can regarding dining time, if available.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Caveat:  "space available seating".  With suites being heavily booked on some cruises, be sure to provide Luminae concierge plenty of notice of your wish to do this or it'll be catch as catch can regarding dining time, if available.

Well the good thing is we all like to eat early so being we could go at 5:30 is a plus I would think.

• Like 2

My experience goes back to 2016 when I was with a group that had one couple in Aqua Class. At the time (December 2016) the cost was $50 per person for dinner for them to dine with us in Luminae. They did this twice, and the cost was billed to my account. The cost was based on which meal they were eating. I want to say $20 for breakfast and $25-$30 for lunch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovrccl said:

We have a Sky suite next year on Apex and some friends are thinking of taking the same cruise.  However they would be in IV room.  I understand if it's not too crowded in Laminae they may allow them to dine with us once or twice.  First has anyone done this and if so is there a cost associated with it? If so what is it? Thank you!!

You can also join them for dinner in the MDR.  We tried the MDR when on the Edge when we didn’t like the Luminae menu.  We found the food and service excellent and it wasn’t as noisy as Luminae. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jelayne said:

You can also join them for dinner in the MDR.  We tried the MDR when on the Edge when we didn’t like the Luminae menu.  We found the food and service excellent and it wasn’t as noisy as Luminae. 

Well they ended up getting aqua class. So hoping we can do Blu and or Luminae together, along with the MDR. We have choices!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

Well they ended up getting aqua class. So hoping we can do Blu and or Luminae together, along with the MDR. We have choices!!

We were able to join the couple who were in Aqua class in Blu once. We had the Luminae host call to arrange it. 

29 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

The answer for you going to Blu is no.  Bluff is quite small and suite guests have not been allowed on any of our cruises.  The MDR can usually be arranged - if - space is available. 

Luminae was $50pp for dinner on our last cruise.

Our experience has been different.  We were able to dine in Blu when in a suite on 2 occasions.  In both cases we asked the Blu MaitreD 2-3 days ahead of time and let him know that we would be happy to dine at a time most convenient for them.

We have been  in AQ on the majority of our cruises and have seen Blu guests wait while Suite guests were seated, have seen Suite guests turned away when Blu was full and have seen Suite guests turned away when Blu was only about 60% full at 8:30.  Which is why when we wanted to join a friend in Blu we talked to the MaitreD days ahead. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Our experience has been different.  We were able to dine in Blu when in a suite on 2 occasions.  In both cases we asked the Blu MaitreD 2-3 days ahead of time and let him know that we would be happy to dine at a time most convenient for them.

We have been  in AQ on the majority of our cruises and have seen Blu guests wait while Suite guests were seated, have seen Suite guests turned away when Blu was full and have seen Suite guests turned away when Blu was only about 60% full at 8:30.  Which is why when we wanted to join a friend in Blu we talked to the MaitreD days ahead. 

If you use the suite concierge to call there shouldn’t be any problem getting   To Blu on any time.

• Like 1

We have never experienced a problem having friends (a couple) join us in Luminae, even multiple times during a cruise.   Also on several occasions we have hosted friends in our suite with our Butler (or whatever they are now called?) providing appetizers (usually shrimp cocktail and cheese/crackers).    (All pre-Covid)

• Like 1

In October, we had friends who were in Aqua join us for lunch once and dinner once.  20.00 per person for lunch, 30.00 for dinner.  

And on a previous cruise, we joined them for breakfast in Blu.  

My first time in a Sky suite was on the Reflection and Blu was slammed so we never could eat there.  

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The answer for you going to Blu is no.  Bluff is quite small and suite guests have not been allowed on any of our cruises.  The MDR can usually be arranged - if - space is available. 

Luminae was $50pp for dinner on our last cruise.

My experience is very different.  Blu (what is Bluff?) is available to Suite guests on a space available basis, and has been for many years.

13 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

My experience is very different.  Blu (what is Bluff?) is available to Suite guests on a space available basis, and has been for many years.

I think it depends.   On the Reflection I believe I was told that Blu is the same size as on the rest of the S class ships, but there's a lot more AQ cabins, so for us space was never available.

Edited by abbydancer

4 hours ago, verizon said:

If you use the suite concierge to call there shouldn’t be any problem getting   To Blu on any time.

Therein lies the problem.  Blu guests can’t just have someone call and get them into Luminae. IMHO if I pay to dine in Blu I should not have to wait while someone who paid to dine in another venue takes up space in Blu.  AQ guests can’t dine in Luminae by having the MaitreD call.  I wonder how Suite Guests would feel if they showed up at Luminae to find AQ guests were being seated while they waited. That is why if we want to join a friend in Blu we politely ask the Blu MaitreD if & when it is convenient.  Pulling the Suite card isn’t our thing.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

Therein lies the problem.  Blu guests can’t just have someone call and get them into Luminae. IMHO if I pay to dine in Blu I should not have to wait while someone who paid to dine in another venue takes up space in Blu.  AQ guests can’t dine in Luminae by having the MaitreD call.  I wonder how Suite Guests would feel if they showed up at Luminae to find AQ guests were being seated while they waited. That is why if we want to join a friend in Blu we politely ask the Blu MaitreD if & when it is convenient.  Pulling the Suite card isn’t our thing.

I agree 100% with all you said.  However we got off Reflection on Sunday (1/2).  We were in a Sky Suite and were told we could eat in Blu if we wanted.  Could be the fact that we were at around 50% capacity.  We didn't eat in Blu as I liked Luminae, and both my wife and I agree that it isn't fair to Aqua Class passengers to take tables from them that they paid for.  

• Like 1

I have never been to the retreat/luminae and I really mean no offense - but:

do we really like the concept of selling tickets to a place that passengers paid a high premium for in order to have a less crowded experience?

Should Celebrity really allow that? Shouldn't it be

"Luminae is for suite guests. Blu is for AC guests. If people want to dine together they can book speciality restaurants."  Especially in Covid times when distancing means safety?

• Like 3

In my experience Luminae was available to others by my invitation and by clearing it with the Maitre 'D in advance.  And clearing the time.   We were charged $10/$20/$30 pp for breakfast/lunch/dinner.  The last time we did this was Jan 2020 on Equinox.