Liberty OTS-January 9th. To cancel or not to cancel?

We are scheduled on the Jan 9th sailing of the Liberty OTS and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I had covid in November and a rapid test might come back positive. The PCR tests aren't always returning within 48 hours. I'm afraid we will get to TX (we live in WI) and have to turn around and come home if the test isn't back in time. We are leaving WI a day early as a precaution. I'm also starting to worry about onboard activities. Will they be the same? I've been on many cruises, but this is my partner's first and I would hate for it to be a bad experience for him. We have a balcony room so we can still enjoy the ocean should most things get cancelled or we decide it's too peopley outside of the room. 

If I cancel now would I get a refund or FCC?

I'm really just venting my frustrations, but I'm also curious as to what others are doing for this sailing...going or cancelling?

Thanks!

Jen

4 minutes ago, jencatt74 said:

We are scheduled on the Jan 9th sailing of the Liberty OTS and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I had covid in November and a rapid test might come back positive. The PCR tests aren't always returning within 48 hours. I'm afraid we will get to TX (we live in WI) and have to turn around and come home if the test isn't back in time. We are leaving WI a day early as a precaution. I'm also starting to worry about onboard activities. Will they be the same? I've been on many cruises, but this is my partner's first and I would hate for it to be a bad experience for him. We have a balcony room so we can still enjoy the ocean should most things get cancelled or we decide it's too peopley outside of the room. 

I'm really just venting my frustrations, but I'm also curious as to what others are doing for this sailing...going or cancelling?

Thanks!

Jen

If you call and say you don't like all the protocols you should be able to get a full refund. Just be persistent. If first customer service says no, ask to talk to a supervisor. Other people have been getting full refunds $$$ 

If you were just driving to the port you would have less to lose if you are denied at boarding, plus a chance of being quarantined on the ship. Is all that worth it to you?

Edited by Jimbo

Liberty has missed no ports. None. The show Saturday night fever got cancelled last week, see the recent posts about liberty. I personally wasnt that crazy about the show. Hopefully you can go do something else and be happy. They had silent disco and some other fun stuff going on. 

Take a test before you leave to see if you still test positive if that's your worry.

You are much less likely to show still positive on a rapid test than on a PCR.  If you had Covid in November, you don't need to stress about a rapid test now, I don't think.  I agree with a previous poster--take a rapid at home before you leave and you'll have a better idea of whether you should make the trip to TX.  Your stops are mainly Mexico and they haven't turned any ships away.  As far as onboard activities--we had a great time on our Oasis December 26th cruise, even though a few things were cancelled.  The cruise director substituted and put in other things as much as he could.  Be willing to be flexible and you'll be fine.

Cancelling is a personal decision, of course, but I think you are overthinking and over-worrying on some things.

Edited by acpalmer
clarifying ship we sailed
  • Like 2

We're on the sailing, and we're going unless the tests we take later today come back positive (proctored home tests, so we'll do them when we get the chance).  As mentioned, the PCR tests are more sensitive than the antigen tests, so do that. 

Frankly, I would not think of flying anywhere unless I had some sort of negative result, proctored or not.  If you can get your hands on a home test today, proctored or not, do so and see what you have.  If you test positive today, then you're done (and you likely would have tested positive tomorrow and Sunday unless you had a very faint result).  If you test negative today, then you very likely would test negative tomorrow or Sunday.

And, chime over at our roll call!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, jencatt74 said:

Thanks!

Jen

Not sure if this has been modified but you need to cancel 48 hours prior to the date of sailing under cwc in order to get an FCC.  That means for a Sunday departure you need to cancel by midnight on Thursday.

I would not waste any more time as you are already past the deadline.  Hopefully they will be sympathetic given the current situation.

Just saw that your tests were fine and that you actually posted this question yesterday.  

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1