Covid testing onboard

disneyaddictX4

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I believe a port can require passengers to be tested, random or otherwise, as recently happened with San Francisco and Ruby Princess.

True. However it seems Carnival has never been willing to do ship wide testing. They would rather cancel the port then do the testing.

• Like 1

We are booked on the Miracle to Hawaii and, apparently, Hawaii is requiring testing on board prior to docking, in addition to the pre cruise testing. I don't know the details, but I hope we don't have to pay for the test.

We are doing a MSC cruise on the 16th, only because Carnival has nothing and ths 4 day is the only time we can go. Celebrating 20th anniversary.

They test before you board at the pier and while on the cruise.

Edited by Luke gs Daddy

39 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

True. However it seems Carnival has never been willing to do ship wide testing. They would rather cancel the port then do the testing.

I believe this was more of ports changing requirements without notice and the logistics required to comply. 

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

They test the crew on a regular basis.

You are only tested if you go to the medical centre and say you have symptoms.

or if you were in close contact with someone who was positive, symptoms or not.

20 hours ago, cmichael1221 said:

What is wrong with Carnival taking steps to protect its crew members and fellow passengers?

Cost, for one thing, including the costs associated with potentially more (asymptomatic) cases.  

As a practical matter, I don't test randomly at home, even though to do so might protect those around me.  My workplace doesn't randomly test us, even though that would provide some additional protection to employees.    

Every business is trying to find a way to reduce risk while still operating profitably.   There is nothing wrong if Carnival chose to randomly test passengers, but it does come with costs, and Carnival has apparently decided at this time the costs don't outweigh the benefits.    

Covid is going to be around for a while.  For those of us who still want to take vacations, we have to be prepared to do a little extra research to find the travel options that we are most comfortable with.  The more testing, contract tracing, and quarantining that the cruise lines feel they need to do, the more I prefer a different kind of vacation.  

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

As a practical matter, I don't test randomly at home, even though to do so might protect those around me.  My workplace doesn't randomly test us, even though that would provide some additional protection to employees.    

As a practical matter, I doubt you live with a few thousand strangers at home. If your workplace was a cruise ship, they would regularly (not randomly) test you. Prevention is far cheaper than treatment.

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

As a practical matter, I doubt you live with a few thousand strangers at home. If your workplace was a cruise ship, they would regularly (not randomly) test you. Prevention is far cheaper than treatment.

Prevention is impossible.  Treatment should be made cheaper

39 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

No argument there.  That doesn't change the fact that most cruise lines have apparently found it impractical to regularly and randomly test all passengers during the voyage, as they are not currently doing so.   I believe I did read about a cruise line testing passengers every day - a smaller ship in Europe, I believe.

Vacationing with a few thousand strangers is something some prefer to do when covid case numbers way, way down.

Edited by Joanne G.

14 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

No argument there.  That doesn't change the fact that most cruise lines have apparently found it impractical to regularly and randomly test all passengers during the voyage, as they are not currently doing so.   I believe I did read about a cruise line testing passengers every day - a smaller ship in Europe, I believe.

Vacationing with a few thousand strangers is something some prefer to do when covid case numbers way, way down.

If there were more serious outbreaks on cruise ships, protocols would be changed and could include random and/or required testing. Princess recently did randomly test a number of passengers on a cruise ship.

https://www.newsweek.com/princess-cruise-ship-docks-san-francisco-12-covid-positive-passengers-1666626

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

Cost, for one thing, including the costs associated with potentially more (asymptomatic) cases.  

Every business is trying to find a way to reduce risk while still operating profitably.   There is nothing wrong if Carnival chose to randomly test passengers, but it does come with costs, and Carnival has apparently decided at this time the costs don't outweigh the benefits.    

Covid is going to be around for a while.  For those of us who still want to take vacations, we have to be prepared to do a little extra research to find the travel options that we are most comfortable with.  The more testing, contract tracing, and quarantining that the cruise lines feel they need to do, the more I prefer a different kind of vacation.  

Not the point of my response at all.  I was questioning why someone would cancel their cruise because they might be subject to a random COVID test.  I'd happily take one if it meant protesting the crew and fellow passengers.

37 minutes ago, cmichael1221 said:

Not the point of my response at all.  I was questioning why someone would cancel their cruise because they might be subject to a random COVID test.  I'd happily take one if it meant protesting the crew and fellow passengers.

I apologize.  I misunderstood your comment.   

Edited by Joanne G.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:56 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Prevention is impossible.  Treatment should be made cheaper

Only because we make it impossible.  100% prevention is most likely impossible, but we had the ability and technology to deal with this, we just refused to do it for political and economic reasons.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, auburn77 said:

We are booked on the Miracle to Hawaii and, apparently, Hawaii is requiring testing on board prior to docking, in addition to the pre cruise testing. I don't know the details, but I hope we don't have to pay for the test.

The Miracle left yesterday for Hawaii.  They had to have proof of a negative  vaccination two days before sailing (as every one does).  They also were given a test at embarkation and will be re-tested two days before their first port in Hawaii.  I do not think there was a charge.

Edited by DeanDeeDee

On 1/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, DeanDeeDee said:

The Miracle left yesterday for Hawaii.  They had to have proof of a negative  vaccination two days before sailing (as every one does).  They also were given a test at embarkation and will be re-tested two days before their first port in Hawaii.  I do not think there was a charge.

Wow! Three times in a week! They're serious. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, auburn77 said:

Wow! Three times in a week! They're serious. 

Hawaii is serious.

Those were the rules required for cruise ships to port in Hawaii.

Hawaii has had very strict entry requirements, including specific covid test (aka NOT antigen tests)