Stunned silence ?

new_cruiser

This board has gotten pretty quiet.

Apparently, the 8 Jan Star Legend cruise has been canceled. On the roll call for the current cruise someone said that services have been cut back due to the number of staff in quarantine, so it's probably due to COVID. That makes 3 of 5 ships in operation with COVID disrupting the cruise.

The Windstar COVID travel advisory page has been updated. 

It now starts:

"If you test positive for COVID-19 at embarkation or during your cruise, you may be medically disembarked for evaluation and possible quarantine at a government facility, hospital or hotel before being allowed to travel home. Depending on the country where you are medically disembarked, the government-run accommodations may be very basic COVID-19 facilities. Windstar abides by the COVID-19 policies for each country, which may differ from current US policies, and which continue to evolve."

I don't recall that being there before. 

There are other changes since last time I read it:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/health-safety/overview/

Part of me says this peak should be settled out before my March transatlantic. Another part is feeling pretty pessimistic. 

We had no problem of feeling safe on WS.  As stated before we did not experience selfish nuts going without masks. The ship was extremely, neurotically  clean, the staff double masked. People trended to the outside and given the deck space and only 172 people,  one never felt crowded. Hand sanitizing stations everywhere, I mean everywhere. We were tested almost everyday if not everyday. Great captain and very transparent. We never felt a lack of service. People were happy,  crew and pax alike. Outstanding cruise and so happy to be on WS and in the beautiful Caribbean again. Until Christmas,  night when unfortunately the cruise  was canceled due to covid cases of crew and pax alike,  it was blissful for my family. I was one who was positive the next day with not one symptom. I have no idea how this happened  for I am an overly neurotic person.  I was quarantined again, great service, always checked in on, fortunately I tested negative on 12/29, off the ship and home. Some  others on the ship who did not get the negative result had to remain on the ship why who knows but I think St. Martin did not  have  a quarantine hotel. I do believe in one of the recent reviews there was an error, the cancelation letter we received clearly stated we were going the get a refund of half the cruise, not a future credit as stated by that pax. As I stated before the blip was definitely the WIFI which was inadequate which made things frustrating and maddening  plus there was a great deal of  erroneous information passed down to us in quarantine was it WS or the port, I chalked it up to we were all in new territory.   I do strongly believe from my perspective WS crew dud  a great job,  pre and post quarantine. I think the world is on " wait and see", we are scheduled for 10/6, Rome/Malta third try, " wait and see".

Happy Sailing

I was on board with @Strenz. My husband was one of the unlucky ones to not only test positive but to continue to test positive until today (day 12). He's finally coming home tomorrow.

Given what I've been reading both on Windstar and other boards, I think it's best to give the ships a break.  On Wind Surf, which has been "off line" since the 28th, there are still crew in isolation. Letting that group recover and become clear, without having new passengers coming on board in the middle of the surge, is really the smart decision. Legend is also taking a pause beginning tomorrow (the two ships are working out of St Maarten on complimentary itineraries).

There are pros and cons to being offloaded. St Maarten doesn't have quarantine hotels so people like my husband stayed on board. At the same time, he became subject to a "different" set of rules around release than someone who had been at a St Maarten hotel and tested positive.  Those who were put off in Barbados may have been somewhat on their own, but they were free after 10 days without extra hoops.

The fact that the captain was very open about what was happening, including his actual presence in the Lounge when we were coming through for testing, really showed he was vested. The crew really tried to make the best of everything until they couldn't any longer.

Things are changing so much so quickly at this point, March is an eternity away.  I likely wouldn't sail for the next several weeks, but if it looks like we've crested this peak by mid-February (as somewhat expected), I think March should be good.

Great news Rempuck, to hear your husband will be departing tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your experience throughout the ordeal and keeping us updated. My husband and I need to make a decision soon on the TA crossing on Legend in March. Even though it's more than 2 months away it is a concern since the Legend has just been pulled for the next cruise. Hopefully this will pass soon and we can all get back on board. I will toast you and your hubs tomorrow!    

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nearpost345 said:

Currently Windstar “strongly recommend” a negative pcr test before boarding the ship. I hope they change this to “mandatory” as the antigens are providing false negatives. My understanding is the pcr is more accurate.

Yes, PCR is the gold standard for Covid tests. I had a positive antigen in October a day before departing Lisbon. I rushed to get a PCR which came back negative. This is unusual since when the antigen is positive the PCR usually follows suit.  It is a much more expensive test but well worth the additional cost. 

3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Currently Windstar “strongly recommend” a negative pcr test before boarding the ship. I hope they change this to “mandatory” as the antigens are providing false negatives. My understanding is the pcr is more accurate.

The good and the bad of the PCR is its potential for extreme sensitivity. For my husband, the test has likely been picking up incredibly small amounts of virus residue that are inactive and unable to cause infection. The CDC recommends NOT doing PCR testing as proof of recovery. 

My wife and I decided to take a calculated risk and are going on the transatlantic cruise on Star Legend in March.  We’re fully vaccinated and those of our family who have been infected by the Omicron variant of COVID have not been very sick and have quickly recovered.  With luck, the infection rates will be low in two months time and Windstar’s operations will have a semblance of normality. There is always the risk of testing positive, but we carry insurance for such an eventuality.  In September, we wandered around France, did the mandatory COVID testing every three days and still managed to have a great trip.  We always hope for the best, but plan for the worst.  Time will tell if our gamble pays off.

I echo the posts of Strenz and RemPuck.  We were also on the Wind Surf (Dec 11-28) – our 1st Windstar experience. We both tested negative thru all 9 required tests after the 1st case was discovered.

I felt safer there than on the plane home or In the hotel in the US where we arrived to find coughing, unmasked guests and staff in the lobby.  (We do not live near a major airport)

The staff and especially the Captain were wonderful.  We have another cruise with Windstar in September (Europe) and one with another cruise line in May.  If I could, I would cancel May and substitute ANYWHERE Windstar is sailing. 

Since the large ships ONLY test those who present themselves to medical with symptoms and their close contacts, their positive numbers are hardly reliable.  That said, even that situation is better than in my area where many positive people have no intention to isolate or even mask up. 

Sorry, I cannot edit my above post. Just to clarify I am suggesting Windstar call for a negative from a PCR test before boarding ship, not as a method to confirm recovery from the disease. Unfortunately that may mean someone who has recovered from the disease would not be boarded, but if  it stops the ship from being infected by a person with a false negative from. an antigen test it’s for the best. We will have negative pcr tests before boarding any flight bound for Tahiti.

Edited by Nearpost345

The problem seems to be remaining negative. Apparently this variant is so contagious that it doesn’t take much mingling with others in transit or on shore for it to take hold. Most aren’t very worried about getting really sick, but it can throw a mighty kink in you vacation if you have to disembark and isolate under the jurisdiction of local authorities.

• Like 1

We were booked for the Star Legend cruise leaving St Maarten on January-15.  We cancelled.  We have cruised on Windstar many times and always loved it, and we look forward to using our Future Cruise Credit to cruise on Windstar again - when things are more "normal".  Really appreciate all the posts on this board about the Wind Surf Covid outbreak.  It helped my decide that it's wise to cancel.  But the new January 3 wording on the Windstar site really sealed the deal.  When a cruise line tells me that if I should test positive on a cruise, they will disembarked quarantine

me on some island according to that island's rules, and getting back to the US is my problem...sounds like time to cancel.  Not exactly cruiser-friendly.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, su-arizona said:

We were booked for the Star Legend cruise leaving St Maarten on January-15.  We cancelled.  We have cruised on Windstar many times and always loved it, and we look forward to using our Future Cruise Credit to cruise on Windstar again - when things are more "normal".  Really appreciate all the posts on this board about the Wind Surf Covid outbreak.  It helped my decide that it's wise to cancel.  But the new January 3 wording on the Windstar site really sealed the deal.  When a cruise line tells me that if I should test positive on a cruise, they will disembarked quarantine

me on some island according to that island's rules, and getting back to the US is my problem...sounds like time to cancel.  Not exactly cruiser-friendly.

Thank you for posting.  I will check their website.  We were on the Wind Surf cruise being discussed here and have another booked for September.
From what I read this morning about quarantine conditions on the big cruise lines (not Windstar) I think I would prefer to take my chances on island rules.  I was reading the report on tripadvisor from a woman in quarantine on St Martin (vacation on her own) and it didn't sound too bad.  If we get a positive test at a port before boarding we would be on our own.

That gives me much to consider since even with our negative PCR tests within 24 hours, I was concerned about picking up the virus in the airport or on the plane. 
That said, both the Wind Surf & Legend have been anchored off St Martin for at least a week now. Unless Omicron miraculously disappears, they may not sail anyway on the 15th.
This variant caught everyone by surprise.

We live in an anti-vax/anti mask area, so for now we are back to being hermits

41 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Thank you for posting.  I will check their website.  We were on the Wind Surf cruise being discussed here and have another booked for September.
From what I read this morning about quarantine conditions on the big cruise lines (not Windstar) I think I would prefer to take my chances on island rules.  I was reading the report on tripadvisor from a woman in quarantine on St Martin (vacation on her own) and it didn't sound too bad.  If we get a positive test at a port before boarding we would be on our own.

That gives me much to consider since even with our negative PCR tests within 24 hours, I was concerned about picking up the virus in the airport or on the plane. 
That said, both the Wind Surf & Legend have been anchored off St Martin for at least a week now. Unless Omicron miraculously disappears, they may not sail anyway on the 15th.
This variant caught everyone by surprise.

We live in an anti-vax/anti mask area, so for now we are back to being hermits

Read some of the accounts on the Viking and Oceania boards to balance your impression of quarantine ashore. It very much depends on where you are and the resources available. Once there, you are under the jurisdiction of local authorities.

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Read some of the accounts on the Viking and Oceania boards to balance your impression of quarantine ashore. It very much depends on where you are and the resources available. Once there, you are under the jurisdiction of local authorities.

Thanks,  I began with those cruise lines on which I have sailed.  Now reading Viking, I see they are now requiring boosters - good imho.  Omicron has really caught everyone off guard with the positive numbers that would require quarantine even if asymptomatic.  At least I have months to investigate further and monitor developments.

Still booked on the Wind Surf Jan 15th 14-day cruise, rather annoyed at the lack of communication from Windstar. I believe we have up to 48 hours before the cruise (is that two days before cruise day, or 48 hours before cruise departure time day 1?), but that is not with a full refund, just a future cruise credit and I am not sure we would like to cruise with this company again given how they are treating this situation.

25 minutes ago, TonyB99 said:

Still booked on the Wind Surf Jan 15th 14-day cruise, rather annoyed at the lack of communication from Windstar. I believe we have up to 48 hours before the cruise (is that two days before cruise day, or 48 hours before cruise departure time day 1?), but that is not with a full refund, just a future cruise credit and I am not sure we would like to cruise with this company again given how they are treating this situation.

If it says hours, I’d count the hours and cancel within a comfortable window to avoid any question of meeting the deadline. It is to be hoped they would honor the policy without splitting hairs.

The fact that there is no recourse except FCC is the very thing that caused me to cancel before entering the penalty phase.  That and the snippy fellow who was so quick to let me know any quarantine issues were my responsibility.

3 hours ago, milepig said:

For some, including me, the silence was caused by an extended period of time of inability to reliably log in and post. It seems to Be better now. 

Not for me.  I still have to clear CruiseCritic cookies on a regular basis.  Sometimes I'm cruising along just fine, quoting and answering – then boom! it won't even let me make a thread 'all read.'  Have learned to live with it.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are on Wind Star beginning 1/29. Just got word from WS regarding required PCR test 2 days before flying out, Also a test on the pier before boarding. Maybe I should buy stock in a PCR testing company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruiseCritic10 said:

On the same 1/29 and after getting three letters from Wind star on all of the protocols in the last 24 hours and not one word of fun or enjoyable vacation, likely going to punt to another time. 

I can't say I blame you, but we are going to stick with it. The ship will be fairly empty, I suspect. The protocols are really nothing new. They previously "recommended" a PCR 2 days before traveling, so I had already planned for it. I'd rather know ahead of time if I'm going to be denied boarding.  Just getting out of the Maryand cold for a couple of weeks is enough convince me. I'm hoping they don't insist on us dining alone...I rather enjoy the open table conversations. 

3 hours ago, CruiseCritic10 said:

On the same 1/29 and after getting three letters from Wind star on all of the protocols in the last 24 hours and not one word of fun or enjoyable vacation, likely going to punt to another time. 

BTW, are you on Legend or Star for 1/29. We are on Star for 18 days.

We were on 12/18, the one that closed down, as for dining with others we were a family of six, one night we invited 2 gentlemen to dine with us, it was not allowed max a table for 6. We were all fine with that,  better safe. I agree LJWECOC I would go now, this winter in the NE has been cold and dreary. I yearn for the warm sunny days, spectacular sunsets, and the breezes the act like a warm blanket. Happy Sailing. 

• Like 1