I THINK WE ARE CANCELING OUR CRUISE!!

mlang

13 minutes ago, mlang said:

We are booked Anthem Jan. 31, but will probably cancel because of Covid.  It just doesn't feel safe to go. Anyone else ,canceling?

Already did last month.  Moved my 1/23 - 7 night Oasis cruise to an 8 night Allure cruise next October.

• Like 1

We cancelled our 1/8/22 Symphony cruise right before Royal cancelled it.  We were on the fence about our 1/15/22 Odyssey cruise and were leaning towards cancelling.  However, yesterday we jumped both feet on the Let’s Go Cruising side of the fence.  What convinced us?

1    We’ve been spending a lot of time just sitting around the house, primarily due to the frigid cold and snow here in Wisconsin.  We figured if we’re just going to sit around and read, etc., we might as well do it on a balcony in the much warmer Caribbean.

2    Our biggest concern was the airport/travel.  Then we went grocery shopping and we realized it was at least as risky, and probably more so, than what we’d encounter in the airport & airplane where at least everyone was wearing a mask.

R    Based on our Oct Allure cruise, we saw how well Royal was doing with cleaning and social distancing in restaurants and around the ship.  (okay - not so much in the MTD area of the dining room - they crammed us in there pretty tight so we just skipped it remainder of the cruise).  Anyway, felt much safer dining on the ship than going out to our local restaurants around home.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

I work in healthcare....do not be scared. go on with your life you can get covid anywhere anytime!

Not everyone changes because they are "afraid" of Covid.  We have to fly to cruise and my husband is disabled - simply too many hoops to hump through right now with the chance of either testing positive and having to cancel at the very last minute or experiencing something less than acceptable once on board.

Many more options for travel that don't have so many "if's" attached.  Taking a vacation should be stress free and right now that doesn't describe cruising.

Edit - sure I can get Covid at home, but if I do I won't have paid $$$'s to come down with it on a ship only to be quarantined in a cabin that isn't even the one I booked.

Edited by mek
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, mlang said:

We are booked Anthem Jan. 31, but will probably cancel because of Covid.  It just doesn't feel safe to go. Anyone else ,canceling?

I'm not sure it's a safety issue as much as a diminished quality issue at this point. Omicron is spreading everywhere...on land and on sea. The issue that's arising on sea is it's effecting a large amount of crew. This has lead to cancelled entertainment and service issues. Ports have also been closing or not allowing ships to dock if the positivity rate onboard rises above a certain percentage. Then comes the issue if you don't feel well and test positive while aboard or end up as a close contact to someone who did test positive ...you have to quarantine in an interior or oceanview cabin in a restricted area on the ship separated from your significant other unless they test positive also.  You also have all the protocols you have to adhere to...pre-cruise testing  (that can come back positive just 2 days prior to your vacation ending it right there) and masking on the ship constantly everywhere indoors. So you have to be prepared to deal with any or all of these things if you are going to cruise right now. What you need to decided is do I want to spend my money on that type of experience.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, WI-Cruiser said:

We cancelled our 1/8/22 Symphony cruise right before Royal cancelled it.  We were on the fence about our 1/15/22 Odyssey cruise and were leaning towards cancelling.  However, yesterday we jumped both feet on the Let’s Go Cruising side of the fence.  What convinced us?

1    We’ve been spending a lot of time just sitting around the house, primarily due to the frigid cold and snow here in Wisconsin.  We figured if we’re just going to sit around and read, etc., we might as well do it on a balcony in the much warmer Caribbean.

2    Our biggest concern was the airport/travel.  Then we went grocery shopping and we realized it was at least as risky, and probably more so, than what we’d encounter in the airport & airplane where at least everyone was wearing a mask.

R    Based on our Oct Allure cruise, we saw how well Royal was doing with cleaning and social distancing in restaurants and around the ship.  (okay - not so much in the MTD area of the dining room - they crammed us in there pretty tight so we just skipped it remainder of the cruise).  Anyway, felt much safer dining on the ship than going out to our local restaurants around home.

Bad luck huh, you just missed a free cruise for the 1/8/22 cancellation cruise by Royal.

Edited by Jimbo

13 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I'm not sure it's a safety issue as much as a diminished quality issue at this point. Omicron is spreading everywhere...on land and on sea. The issue that's arising on sea is it's effecting a large amount of crew. This has lead to cancelled entertainment and service issues. Ports have also been closing or not allowing ships to dock if the positivity rate onboard rises above a certain percentage. Then comes the issue if you don't feel well and test positive while aboard or end up as a close contact to someone who did test positive ...you have to quarantine in an interior or oceanview cabin in a restricted area on the ship separated from your significant other unless they test positive also.  You also have all the protocols you have to adhere to...pre-cruise testing  (that can come back positive just 2 days prior to your vacation ending it right there) and masking on the ship constantly everywhere indoors. So you have to be prepared to deal with any or all of these things if you are going to cruise right now. What you need to decided is do I want to spend my money on that type of experience.

Well said, this is how we feel as well. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Not cancelling my Allure cruise coming on Sunday unless RCG does.  Going in knowing these risks. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, mlang said:

Scared of contracting a disease with minimal symptoms that I have been vaccinated and boosted for?  No. 

Scared of a forced quarantine and/or altered travel plans?  Yes. 

Scared of missing ports and canceled shows?  Yes. 

• Like 26

Not cancelling my cruise next week on Odyssey, or next month on Independence, or April on Wonder or June on Jewel. Know the risks, know the possibility for missed ports and changes, even at the last minute, and it's worth it for me.

But I don't begrudge anybody else making that decision for themselves.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

I work in healthcare....do not be scared. go on with your life you can get covid anywhere anytime!

I'm not "afraid" of covid, but cannot fathom risking spending my cruise quarantined to my cabin with meals delivered to my door. Sorry, that's not a vacation and a risk I am not prepared to take.

Edited by barb-ottawa
typo
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, barb-ottawa said:

I'm not "afraid" of covid, but cannot fathom risking spending my cruise quarantined to my cabin with meals delivered to my door. Sorry, that's not a vacation and a risk I am not prepared to take.

We cancelled our January 3rd cruise. The biggest reason was the fear of quarantine for our college freshman (she would have been an anxious mess all week, worried that she would end up missing the first classes of the semester). Secondary reason was all the flight cancellations at the time (good reason to be concerned, as our fight as well as many other flights that day were cancelled).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robntawn said:

Scared of contracting a disease with minimal symptoms that I have been vaccinated and boosted for?  No. 

I'm ia group of 12 set to sail on Anthem Jan 20. A few of us are health compromised,  and a few of us have or had covid (mild). But we feel the same. All traveling from Canada, so added costs of flights/hotel. It is spending all the $$ to not be able to enjoy all the ship has to offer, miss the ports (a few new cruisers with us) and potentially end up in isolation. 

For many of us this is our only annual vacation. It only makes sense to put it off. But, we are waiting to see what may happen prior to canceling. It appears Anthem isn't feeling too well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WI-Cruiser said:

We were on the fence about our 1/15/22 Odyssey cruise and were leaning towards cancelling.  However, yesterday we jumped both feet on the Let’s Go Cruising side of the fence. 

See you onboard!  I'll be the one wearing a Manitowoc Minute Packer face mask.

• Like 1

I think it depends on what your expectations are for a cruise vacation. If this is your one big trip for the year and you want all the bells and whistles, I can definitely see canceling or rescheduling. If you are a more frequent cruiser and have been there done that about shows and activities and really just want to stare at the sea, then go if your personal situation permits. No judgment either way. 

• Like 8

We are scheduled to be on Allure 1/22 and will be canceling.

Not afraid of COVID, we just don't feel cruise lines are providing what we paid for at this time, due to canceled shows, itinerary changes, canceled ports and the risk of being quarantined.

We look forward to cruising in the future.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, robntawn said:

That is exactly why we cancelled our cruise.  We should be driving to Fort Lauderdale this morning to get on the ship, and I do feel sad about it.  Overall, though, I feel relief at having finally made a decision after weeks of agonizing.  And I feel happy anticipation at the thought of that same cruise to be taken on May 28, hopefully when cruising is closer to “normal”.  

• Like 6

Just now, ZoeyVictoria said:

That is exactly why we cancelled our cruise.  We should be driving to Fort Lauderdale this morning to get on the ship, and I do feel sad about it.  Overall, though, I feel relief at having finally made a decision after weeks of agonizing.  And I feel happy anticipation at the thought of that same cruise to be taken on May 28, hopefully when cruising is closer to “normal”.  

Same here! We rescheduled our family cruise for May 8 on Allure. Ended up changing from a 4 night on Freedom to a 6 night on Allure, so that's a bonus too! Hopefully thing will be better before then though. My husband and I are supposed to sail on Adventure on March 28th...

• Like 2