Curious about quarantine protocol on Oceania ships. Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

gafnewyork

14 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Obviously we dont have the contact tracing data to prove anything, though my wife and I wore masks in the art class all week and are both well, while our friend and cabin neighbor cruising solo didnt and got sick (we are assuming not covid, some other virus since tested neg).

Did your friend have to quarantine in Europe once he got off the ship? Do you know how long the quarantine period was? Five days or ten?

I can add some first hand insight (didn’t think my first CC post would be about Covid).

my wife and I joined Riviera in Miami on 18 March and due to get off in Barcelona next week. I got a sore throat Tuesday evening 29 March, tested positive Wednesday first thing and thirty minutes later did the walk of shame from deck 9 to an isolation stateroom (with veranda) on deck 7 from where I am now posting. My wife tested negative and stayed behind on deck 9 but is now being tested every day.

I am informed that the current rules require 7 days isolation so I will have to do a couple of days at hotel in Barcelona, all organised by Oceania. The rules are likely to be relaxed imminently (in Spain at least) but Oceania may have to follow other protocols.

Not sure where I picked it up. Tested negative on Saturday 26th prior to call at Lisbon. Unlikely I got it in Lisbon on Monday as insufficient incubation time. Only other stop was Nassau on 19th. I haven’t attended any art classes or similar. 
someone asked if there would be a pro rata refund for the Covid isolation period. The answer is no and I would not expect one. I am told that Unused OBC will be given as a future cruise credit.

not a great end to our cruise but I think Oceania have so far been pretty efficient.  I think situations like this are going to happen wherever you vacation as we return to pre-pandemic lifestyles and it will not put me off cruising in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Ernie56 said:

I can add some first hand insight (didn’t think my first CC post would be about Covid).

my wife and I joined Riviera in Miami on 18 March and due to get off in Barcelona next week. I got a sore throat Tuesday evening 29 March, tested positive Wednesday first thing and thirty minutes later did the walk of shame from deck 9 to an isolation stateroom (with veranda) on deck 7 from where I am now posting. My wife tested negative and stayed behind on deck 9 but is now being tested every day.

I am informed that the current rules require 7 days isolation so I will have to do a couple of days at hotel in Barcelona, all organised by Oceania. The rules are likely to be relaxed imminently (in Spain at least) but Oceania may have to follow other protocols.

Not sure where I picked it up. Tested negative on Saturday 26th prior to call at Lisbon. Unlikely I got it in Lisbon on Monday as insufficient incubation time. Only other stop was Nassau on 19th. I haven’t attended any art classes or similar. 
someone asked if there would be a pro rata refund for the Covid isolation period. The answer is no and I would not expect one. I am told that Unused OBC will be given as a future cruise credit.

not a great end to our cruise but I think Oceania have so far been pretty efficient.  I think situations like this are going to happen wherever you vacation as we return to pre-pandemic lifestyles and it will not put me off cruising in the future. 

Sounds like they have handled it well. Glad they gave you access to a Balcony to help with isolation. Appreciate your attitude.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ernie56 said:

Sorry to hear you caught covid

You could have got it onboard from anywhere  even though you may not have attended art classes

But  hopefully your wife will be fine

Not a good way to have a holiday

Stay safe

• Like 1

So, if someone gets a "cold" when on an O cruise, they are only tested if the person requests one?  Is that correct?  Or, does the "covid police" see someone "sick" and make them take a covid test?  Just wondering...

8 hours ago, bbtondo said:

So, if someone gets a "cold" when on an O cruise, they are only tested if the person requests one?  Is that correct?  Or, does the "covid police" see someone "sick" and make them take a covid test?  Just wondering...

Interesting question....

13 hours ago, bbtondo said:

In many ports they require testing prior to disembarkation. Also carrying self tests and using them if feeling under the weather is a way for me to show respect to the hard working staff and fellow passengers . JMO opinion on how to be accountable in these times. I appreciate diligence of Oceania and actions ernie56 took. Looking out for others and self.

Edited by kibutzer

2 hours ago, kibutzer said:

In many ports they require testing prior to disembarkation. Also carrying self tests and using them if feeling under the weather is a way for me to show respect to the hard working staff and fellow passengers . JMO opinion on how to be accountable in these times. I appreciate diligence of Oceania and actions ernie56 took. Looking out for others and self.

Yes, I understand that some ports may require a covid test.  I don't disagree with your point of view. No need to preach.  Just asking a question.  

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

Yes, I understand that some ports may require a covid test.  I don't disagree with your point of view. No need to preach.  Just asking a question.  

Thanks for your response, your comment about "covid police" was what generated my "preaching". Safe travels. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:25 PM, PSR said:

Did your friend have to quarantine in Europe once he got off the ship? Do you know how long the quarantine period was? Five days or ten?

Tested negative, so smooth journey home for he/she.

Just to be clear, the art class was not problematic, just an example of where one might encounter a cough.  I heard occasional coughs in the shows and at meals as well.  

At meals and in art class, Oceana provided good spacing.  Shows were well attended, so that was a risk one could take or mitigate, like us, by KN95 masking with some associated inconvenience. We also masked at the spa lounge that is an enclosed room with 3-4 lounges and in elevators or close areas like food queues, to make anyone in there with us hopefully more comfortable.  Just our comfort level given case rates and current variant contagiousness data among our population these days.

We had extra incentive as failing a test meant losing our 3 weeks of land touring we had already planned and paid in advance for some portions.

Happy sailing.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:56 AM, Ernie56 said:

Are you having any difficulty with meal delivery? Are your meals arriving in a timely fashion and still hot (or chilled, as the case may be)? I ask because someone over on the Princess board is having a terrible time with meals while in quarantine. I'm hoping the service is better on Oceania (which you would expect). What say you?

4 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Tested negative, so smooth journey home for he/she.

Now I see that I read your original post incorrectly and your friend did not have Covid, so of course they tested negative...glad you all had a good cruise!

Some updates, replies and a correction..

#3 asked about compensation and I originally said in #37 “no”. However I have since been told verbally that I will receive a FCC based on the number of days in isolation, the cruise length and amount paid etc. not yet confirmed in writing.  I don’t really follow the logic of Oceania compensating me for something out of their control but nice gesture.

#37 & #38 ask about isolation room service. It has been mostly good. Breakfast arrived within 25 minutes this morning, dinner has sometimes taken 45+ minutes but all on normal plates and cutlery. Room service temperature of course but plenty of choice and tasty. Fortunately my appetite and sense of taste/smell so far unimpaired by Covid.

It was confirmed yesterday that Spain  has changed its rules and if I test negative on Monday morning I can go straight to the airport and fly home to London. If I test positive I will be taken to a hotel with isolation facilities in Barcelona. My wife will be given a room at the same hotel, all arranged by Oceania who will also meet the cost. We arranged our own flights but easy to rearrange .

I am not sure if the new rules apply across EU and/or if the fact I will have completed 5 days isolation is relevant.  What I do know is that my wife seems heartlessly unconcerned at the prospect that I might test positive and we have to stay a couple or more days in her favourite shopping city. I guess there is always a silver lining somewhere for someone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Ernie56 said:

#3 asked about compensation and I originally said in #37 “no”. However I have since been told verbally that I will receive a FCC based on the number of days in isolation, the cruise length and amount paid etc. not yet confirmed in writing.  I don’t really follow the logic of Oceania compensating me for something out of their control but nice gesture.

#37 & #38 ask about isolation room service. It has been mostly good. Breakfast arrived within 25 minutes this morning, dinner has sometimes taken 45+ minutes but all on normal plates and cutlery. Room service temperature of course but plenty of choice and tasty. Fortunately my appetite and sense of taste/smell so far unimpaired by Covid.

It was confirmed yesterday that Spain  has changed its rules and if I test negative on Monday morning I can go straight to the airport and fly home to London. If I test positive I will be taken to a hotel with isolation facilities in Barcelona. My wife will be given a room at the same hotel, all arranged by Oceania who will also meet the cost. We arranged our own flights but easy to rearrange .

I am not sure if the new rules apply across EU and/or if the fact I will have completed 5 days isolation is relevant.  What I do know is that my wife seems heartlessly unconcerned at the prospect that I might test positive and we have to stay a couple or more days in her favourite shopping city. I guess there is always a silver lining somewhere for someone.

Thank you for answering all our questions.  I truly hope you test negative and can get on with your life—even if your wife would like to remain in Barcelona to go shopping.

Good luck.  Hope you get out of jail soon.

Terri

7 hours ago, Ernie56 said:

Thank you for the clarification on the FCC.  What you just reported is what I read on the FAQs for Oceania a few weeks ago, but I wasn't going to bother you by questioning you more!  But it's good to hear Oceania is taking good care of you and your wife.  I feel that's generous.  There is some stuff in the FAQs about the need for a possible ship and shore quarantine (based on days done on each) but I suppose it might vary with a country's requirements.  And it might change....lots of moving targets right now I'm afraid, though some are for the better, not worse!

But glad you're feeling well, have a good attitude, and are willing to answer questions.  If you know the answer to one more, I'd love to hear it:

Are Italy and Spain now allowing people to tour independently?  For a while Italy was requiring cruisers to stay in a cruise ship bubble on excursions, with nobody allowed off the ship to do their own thing. Spain may have been doing the same thing.   

The rules change at different times in different places which is tough for everyone, cruise companies included.
This cruise only has calls in Portugal, France and Spain where touring independently is definitely allowed.  We were meant to be in Monaco today where independent touring is also ok but cancelled due to bad weather so we have had a pretty rough sea day instead. Not sure about Italy.

• Thanks 1

We are on Marina in Monaco today. One cabin on our floor got Covid according to our butler.  I forgot to ask him how long the quarantine was. They tested positive early so I think they are already out. We had a Covid test yesterday and passed. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had a great cruise from Miami to Rome to Venice. The boat was supposed to hold 1200 but only held around 700 more or less. The testing and the masking went very well. Italy was fairly demanding but once we noticed most of the natives weren't masking on shore we stopped too. Some passengers did mask and were very cautious about staying safe but most just went without masks. Crew did wear masks the entire time. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, Ernie56 said:

I have since been told verbally that I will receive a FCC based on the number of days in isolation, the cruise length and amount paid etc. not yet confirmed in writing.

Ernie (or anyone else) - did you manage to get confirmation one way or the other? Or does anyone else know if what's O's policy). I have tried to search on O's website but without success.

We were Covid cancelled by O a few weeks back and are weighing up the possibility of booking another in the autumn. At present we are thinking probably not - with cases on the rise again (at least in the UK), the risk of contracting is quite high. Being isolated for several days of a 2 week cruise would be a complete bummer. But the gamble may be more worth taking, if its cushioned by a FCC.

I was on Oceania for 2 weeks in May, tested twice.  Some, though it didn't look like a lot, of people had to quarantine.  I only talked to one couple and they mentioned their stay in their room wasn't too bad, but that they were very, very glad to be out and about the day we rode on the tender with them.  They were doing back to back cruises and so had been tested in between the two cruises.  They told us they were getting an FCC for the days they quarantined, as they had complied with testing and other requirements early on.  But they didn't give details, and I didn't ask.  A few people have reported on a Facebook group I scan that they have gotten FCCs.  

But we were fine the whole cruise, so I can't report any personal experience.  However, if the current material on O's website or in correspondence you get right before the cruise indicates you'll get compensation (FCC or whatever) for your situation, I would certainly expect that you would get it.   

We were on the Nautica from April 11 to May 5.  On April 20 both my husband and I tested positive for Covid and were quarantined for six (6) days on the ship.  We were permitted to remain in our own cabin.

We received care from the medical staff daily free of charge.  Our butler would deliver meals from any restaurant we chose.  He would knock and he would leave a trolley at our door.  When we were done, we would call, the trolley came and we would put the tray out and he would collect it.

We were called each day by the General Manager and housekeeping to ask if we needed anything.  If so, it would appear at our door.  I have no complaints in the way we were treated.  The only disappointment was that we contracted Covid and were confined to our cabin.

After we returned home, my TA and I both contacted Oceania and claimed a REFUND for the days in quarantine.  We had to produce our negative pre-boarding tests.  Within one week we were credited the full amount of the fare for each day we were in quarantine.

I thought that was very generous of Oceania considering that we had a place to sleep, we were fed three meals a day and received free medical care.

I hope this helps.

Terri

• Like 1