Nieuw Amsterdam Cancellation Letter Jan - Feb 12 Sailings from Gus Antorcha

boze9999

Still amazes me how they cancelled the March 6 cruise on Rotterdam and there was a $50 OBC if you rebooked a spring 2022 cruise with no apologies or accommodation at all.   I guess that is HAL's new great customer service!  Actually, lost FCC from a covid cancelled cruise.  Nice work HAL!  No letter.  Just a "notification" that the cruise was cancelled.

HAL has demonstrated many times during this pandemic that a lot of their customers are a lot more loyal to HAL than HAL is loyal to their customers.  It's a business ... A lot of their headquarters people could certainly take a few lessons in client service attitude from their onboard crews. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So sorry for everyone affected by this. It is quite disappointing to see there is absolutely no compensation of any sort being offered particularly on a cancellation this close to the travel date particularly given that this is a cancellation related to a charter rescheduling (and presumably not anything to do with COVID). 

That being said I don't really understand why they are cancelling. The two charters seem to have been postponed to an unspecified date (Country Music Cruise has been announced for March 26-April 2, Soul Train Cruise haven't been announced). So instead of having the ship sit empty for 2 weeks they will have it sit empty for 4 weeks? And then presumably have to cancel another two weeks of guests in March also?That really makes no sense unless there is something else going on that I am missing. 

Edited by zgscl

As many here know, Nieuw Amsterdam is serving as the HAL hospital/quarantine ship for the Port Everglades operational area. It has been reported that over 400 crew from multiple CCL ships are onboard in quarantine. But, since HAL will not discuss this, who knows?

Just got notice today that our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise March 19 has been cancelled and we were moved to the March 20 Rotterdam  Southern Caribbean cruise….same cabin type, same perks,etc.   We are going so had to change SW flights and pre-hotel by one day!   So instead of DR, Grand Turk, and maybe Key West,   We now will go to Aruba and Curaçao……someone has to do it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, swsf99a said:

Just got notice today that our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise March 19 has been cancelled and we were moved to the March 20 Rotterdam  Southern Caribbean cruise….same cabin type, same perks,etc.   We are going so had to change SW flights and pre-hotel by one day!   So instead of DR, Grand Turk, and maybe Key West,   We now will go to Aruba and Curaçao……someone has to do it!

What I don't get - random cruises in January and February and now March being cancelled - with others in between sailing with guests - and yet everything we read says the NA is the ship holding all the crew from HAL and Princess needing to quarantine ..... we have two February cruises on the NA booked and don't know if we're cruising or not!

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

What I don't get - random cruises in January and February and now March being cancelled - with others in between sailing with guests - and yet everything we read says the NA is the ship holding all the crew from HAL and Princess needing to quarantine ..... we have two February cruises on the NA booked and don't know if we're cruising or not!

Shouldn't you be checking this out? Sooner than later.

23 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

As many here know, Nieuw Amsterdam is serving as the HAL hospital/quarantine ship for the Port Everglades operational area. It has been reported that over 400 crew from multiple CCL ships are onboard in quarantine. But, since HAL will not discuss this, who knows?

I did not know this, and I am booked on a full charter on the NA in early March.  Where is this hospital ship info posted?  Thanks, in advance, for the info.