Lunch on the east side of the island?

alrose251

People used to eat at Playa Bonita but I think it's closed.

Rasta's has great food but not quite East Side.

There's a ramshackled place on the beach call Miami Bar or   the Liquor Bar that served great margaritas and fantastic seafood stew..

Mezcalitos at the  northern end by the transversal road has great tacos.

20 hours ago, alrose251 said:

Greeting,

Where do you recommend eating lunch on the east side of the island?  I have only been one time an can't remember which place we ate at?

Any info will be helpful!

“Best” is very subjective.

I am a big fan of the east side but I wouldn’t say the food is outstanding anywhere or even “local”. Several people on the bar hop threads have their favorites - coconut shrimp at Rasta’s comes to mind. You might want to check there for reviews. Agree with Crew, if you went on a private tour some time ago you may have stopped at Playa Bonita which used to be very popular but is no longer there. It was never one of our favorites but we just like to sample several locations have snacks and a drink and there are plenty of good locations depending on what you are looking for.

I think it would help if you said what sort of transport you will have and whether you are bar/beach hopping and want to move around, or just want to go to one location for a few hours. I would suggest Playa Morena, Mezcalitos/ señor Iguanas, or El Pescador/ Chen Rio for longer stops.

For solo/two people we still find the Bar Hop to be good value and a good sampler tour.

Sorry, I should have given more details.  We are a family of 6 and planning on hiring a driver for the day.  Just want some suggestions for places to eat lunch that others have enjoyed.  

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, alrose251 said:

Sorry, I should have given more details.  We are a family of 6 and planning on hiring a driver for the day.  Just want some suggestions for places to eat lunch that others have enjoyed.  

Thanks!

If you have your own driver you have much more flexibility and can stay longer if you like somewhere or move on if you don't! My above suggestions still hold but with the possible photo stop additions of Punta Sur (entrance chrage) for crocodiles and lighthouse, Rasta's, blowholes (if they are blowing!) and Coconut's for view.

Enjoy your day!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There's also a very nice place called Punta Morena. We stopped there while driving around and it was pretty there (didn't get a chance to eat there because we had just ate breakfast and was out exploring).

I know a lot of people go over to Chen Rio as well. We've only went there for the beach but there's a place to eat up there on the hill as well. 

Yes Crew is right in saying Playa Bonita is definitely closed and not much left to it other than a torn up and decaying building with graffiti on it now. 

If you are hiring a driver, have them show you the blow holes. They are really cool and the sound they make is so neat. 

Here's our day driving on the east side last year CLICK HERE

Punta Sur has 2 beaches with restaurants there as well but you will have to stop and pay to get back there but other things to see and do there such as the lighthouse with an awesome view and a museum and then there's also a lagoon with alligators. Review HERE of our day on the east side with a driver.