Can no longer sail because of port change - any chances of a refund?

masteradept

Hi all, got an email that my cruise on Edge was changed from San Juan, Tortola and St Maarten to Nassau, Tortola and St Maarten. Normally I know that cruise lines don't offer any form of compensation for such changes. However, this one is a bit complicated because although my country allows travel to the original 3 ports (the reason I booked this trip in the first place), travel to the Bahamas isn't allowed for now. I know it's a long shot, but is there any way that I can ask for a refund or something for the cruise? If not, I'll probably just have to take the FCC under cruise with confidence.

Generally the work around you suggest, Bo, is not allowed. Just as when there are passengers who are not allowed to visit Canada, they cannot cruise from Seattle and just “promise not to get off the ship in Victoria”. They’re just not allowed on the ship in the first place.

you are “in” the Bahamas as soon as you enter their waters, regardless of whether you set foot on land.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You can ask for a refund or to reschedule, but doubt it. Cruises always mention ports are not guaranteed. 

Your profile mentions Singapore, is this an advisory? 

https://www.mfa.gov.sg/countries-regions/b/bahamas/travel-page

Also they don't stamp passports unless you take it inside a port office to get is stamped for posterity. 

Don't know your situation, but I've known someone from another country that couldn't get off at ports and took all Seas days. 

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, masteradept said:

Hi all, got an email that my cruise on Edge was changed from San Juan, Tortola and St Maarten to Nassau, Tortola and St Maarten. Normally I know that cruise lines don't offer any form of compensation for such changes. However, this one is a bit complicated because although my country allows travel to the original 3 ports (the reason I booked this trip in the first place), travel to the Bahamas isn't allowed for now. I know it's a long shot, but is there any way that I can ask for a refund or something for the cruise? If not, I'll probably just have to take the FCC under cruise with confidence.

I would most definitely ask about this.  It's not like you are NOT doing just because, but rather as you say, your country is not allowing this in your situation.  Please come back and tell your results.  Good luck, this one truly deserves consideration from Celebrity!

Thanks for all the comments! I will definitely at least try giving them a call - nothing much to lose, since the worst case is still cancelling for FCC, though it's less than ideal. Quite a bummer since this is for an anniversary, and there aren't any other sailings that don't visit Nassau/other ports in countries I can't visit.

Just a bit of background, currently for Singapore, only travel to certain countries is allowed quarantine-free, and all those countries are in Europe, US or Canada, so ports are limited to those that are legally part of those countries (e.g. San Juan, St Maarten, ports in the Virgin Islands etc.). Took quite a search to even find the original itinerary that was eligible, since almost all the other lines have private island stops in the Bahamas. It's not a hard  "no travel" rule, so I probably have less to stand on, more that there are lots of measures soft-banning travel there (expensive hotel quarantine, nullified travel and health insurance, denied boarding for the flight back etc.) I also believe that all passengers clear immigration even if not getting off, so even though I couldn't care less about visiting Nassau, it wouldn't work either.

Well, thanks for all the help. I'll give them a call, and the worst case is I'll switch to one of the European itineraries (much higher fare though ...) and do a road trip in the US with my current flight.

1 hour ago, masteradept said:

Thanks for all the comments! I will definitely at least try giving them a call - nothing much to lose, since the worst case is still cancelling for FCC, though it's less than ideal. Quite a bummer since this is for an anniversary, and there aren't any other sailings that don't visit Nassau/other ports in countries I can't visit.

Just a bit of background, currently for Singapore, only travel to certain countries is allowed quarantine-free, and all those countries are in Europe, US or Canada, so ports are limited to those that are legally part of those countries (e.g. San Juan, St Maarten, ports in the Virgin Islands etc.). Took quite a search to even find the original itinerary that was eligible, since almost all the other lines have private island stops in the Bahamas. It's not a hard  "no travel" rule, so I probably have less to stand on, more that there are lots of measures soft-banning travel there (expensive hotel quarantine, nullified travel and health insurance, denied boarding for the flight back etc.) I also believe that all passengers clear immigration even if not getting off, so even though I couldn't care less about visiting Nassau, it wouldn't work either.

Well, thanks for all the help. I'll give them a call, and the worst case is I'll switch to one of the European itineraries (much higher fare though ...) and do a road trip in the US with my current flight.

If it's not a hard travel ban, I would suspect that X would deny the refund request and simply offer an FCC. It's worth a shot since you don't really lose anything.