Risk Free Guarantee?

jonthomas

We booked during a risk free guarantee program back in May 2021.  We now need to cancel before final payment.  It says the FCV will be good for 24 months.  Does anyone know if this means from the date of first deposit or 24 months from cancellation?  

Hoping from cancellation so we will have until 2024 to use it.  

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We booked during a risk free guarantee program back in May 2021.  We now need to cancel before final payment.  It says the FCV will be good for 24 months.  Does anyone know if this means from the date of first deposit or 24 months from cancellation?  

Hoping from cancellation so we will have until 2024 to use it.  

The FCV's will arrive by email in a few weeks and will include a summary of the T&C, including limitations of use. T&C have changed, but the expiry date is normally from the date of issue. You will probably have 2-years to book a new cruise and apply the vouchers.

All our FCV's were dated the day they were issued and received, not the date we cancelled the cruise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  Based on this assumption I will wait until just prior to final payment to cancel in order for the redemption to be as far in the future as possible.  Retirement is 15 months away and we will then have more options with our time.  I’m also hoping covid testing goes away by then.  

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, Heidi13 said:

You will probably have 2-years to book a new cruise and apply the vouchers.

Just to clarify your language: does it mean you must sail within those two years, or just book the cruise within that time period (in other words, the cruise itself could be three or more years out)?  I think you mean the latter, but I wanted to check.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Just to clarify your language: does it mean you must sail within those two years, or just book the cruise within that time period (in other words, the cruise itself could be three or more years out)?  I think you mean the latter, but I wanted to check.  Thanks!

Affirmative, you must book a new cruise prior to the expiry date and apply the FCV. You do not have to actually sail before the voucher expires, at least that was the T&C on all our FCV's.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 8:53 AM, cruiselvr04 said:

Based on this assumption I will wait until just prior to final payment to cancel in order for the redemption to be as far in the future as possible.  Retirement is 15 months away and we will then have more options with our time.

Hopefully by then RFG will no longer be necessary or available. So as soon as you apply your vouchers, they will become nonrefundable.

You could keep some flexibility by telling Viking to hold off on the vouchers and paying cash for the new booking. Then apply the vouchers closer to sailing (but before they expire) and get your cash refunded. Also, a TravelGuard agent told us they would insure voucher-paid bookings. But check all this yourself before relying on it.

I learned a lot about RFG since taking vouchers for a cancellation earlier this month. See my longer post here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1