Cunard QM2 14th Jan to 11th Feb 2022

Matelot70

Well we have  boarded QM2 in the hope of a pleasant 28 day cruise to the Caribbean and  back. We left home early today because of the threat of fog. We had decided not to use an overnight hotel to avoid  any risk from Covid. Luckily fog did not cause any problems on our 3 hour journey and we arrived just before the CPS test centre opened and joined the other cars waiting. The test was efficient and we received our results before we entered City Terminal. Being Diamond members and in Princess Grill arriving slightly earlier than our allocated time didn't seem to cause a problem.  Having said that we have used CPS twice in the last 4 months and found it as efficient each time.

Boarding in the City Terminal seemed to be more complex than other terminals maybe because of size.  We got through in 30 minutes but did wonder if there might be problems later. Covid protocols appear to be similar to our first QE cruise in September with lifts limited to 4 people. The crew have been very welcoming and helpful so we hope things will go well.

Two changes announced, one Covid related one not according to the Captain. Lisbon has been substituted for Madeira a day earlier because of forecast strong Southerly winds making docking in Madeira too difficult. No mention yet if we will need to have a PCR test for Lisbon but this was the case in December. St Lucia abandoned because it is a tender port and Covid protocols mean tenders are not being used.  Alternative being explored but if none found it will be a sea day.

Weather looking good for Biscay anticipating a good dinner tonight and an early night needed after our pre dawn start. Tomorrow is when we hope our holiday really begins. Will try and post further news as the Internet allows.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Was just watching you depart Southampton! Since you're in the Princess Grill, could you tell us whom the Maitre'd is? Queen's Grill as well? That would be wonderful. I'll have a few more questions as time goes on, but in the meantime, have a terrific cruise!

Bon Voyage!

QM2 reported the following onboard counts to Southampton VTS at departure, so you are only at about 50% passenger capacity for this voyage.

1,337 passengers

1,287 crew

Here are a couple screen captures of your departure taken from the Netley Cam stream of the Ahoy Shipmate YouTube channel.

1744006378_QM2SouthamptonDeparture2022-01-14(1).thumb.jpg.cbe728a3329466a5c0f179f6f6e5cb14.jpg

876720091_QM2SouthamptonDeparture2022-01-14(2).thumb.jpg.ad882f3c1744b9064c2e297c6fbdbd20.jpg

• Like 7

Bon Voyage- so great that your voyage was a " Go"- very thankfull for you reports from the ship. 28 days on board my favorite ship- oh I am green with envy. LOL.

If everything goes to plan I am boarding March 8th- fingers crossed that QM2 sailing from New York by then is also a " Go"! Can´t wait to hear more from your experience, Matleot 70.

Thanks so much for sharing!

18 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

Well we have  boarded QM2 in the hope of a pleasant 28 day cruise to the Caribbean and  back. We left home early today because of the threat of fog. We had decided not to use an overnight hotel to avoid  any risk from Covid. Luckily fog did not cause any problems on our 3 hour journey and we arrived just before the CPS test centre opened and joined the other cars waiting. The test was efficient and we received our results before we entered City Terminal. Being Diamond members and in Princess Grill arriving slightly earlier than our allocated time didn't seem to cause a problem.  Having said that we have used CPS twice in the last 4 months and found it as efficient each time.

Boarding in the City Terminal seemed to be more complex than other terminals maybe because of size.  We got through in 30 minutes but did wonder if there might be problems later. Covid protocols appear to be similar to our first QE cruise in September with lifts limited to 4 people. The crew have been very welcoming and helpful so we hope things will go well.

Two changes announced, one Covid related one not according to the Captain. Lisbon has been substituted for Madeira a day earlier because of forecast strong Southerly winds making docking in Madeira too difficult. No mention yet if we will need to have a PCR test for Lisbon but this was the case in December. St Lucia abandoned because it is a tender port and Covid protocols mean tenders are not being used.  Alternative being explored but if none found it will be a sea day.

Weather looking good for Biscay anticipating a good dinner tonight and an early night needed after our pre dawn start. Tomorrow is when we hope our holiday really begins. Will try and post further news as the Internet allows.

Watched you sail past Solent Towers yesterday evening. Judging by the stateroom lights on there are a good number of passengers onboard. Bon Voyage.

28 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Watched you sail past Solent Towers yesterday evening. Judging by the stateroom lights on there are a good number of passengers onboard. Bon Voyage.

She is cruising at about half passenger capacity, approx 1300 sailing and full capacity is approx 2600.

• Like 1

We'll be reading with great interest as we're the "meat in the sandwich" of the Feb. cruises that copy yours. We do the round trip NY/NY segment at the end of Feb. We also have chosen a P1. We've had mixed experiences in the Q's Grill, hence my question on the Maitre d' in there. The QM2 is my husband's favorite ship so he is over the moon excited.

We're hoping that you have a most wonderful trip and wish you fair winds and following seas!

L&J

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

She is cruising at about half passenger capacity, approx 1300 sailing and full capacity is approx 2600.

That then is very satisfactory .

I have a friend who joined Costa Firenze this morning and is reporting only 1,000 on board a 4K capacity ship.

Given the experience on 22nd Dec to 10th Jan ill fated Xmas cruise i would guess its a mix of reasons 

Cannot fault all the lovely Phillipino etc staff in Dining Room or the cabin staff they were exemplorary right through ....Edgar in deck 2 of Brittania was fun ...give him my regards and hope he found LIDL 

Is same Capt West onboard ?      

The one real problem on that route with Cunard is the dire satellite internet connection 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, Host Hattie said:

A combination of the two I suspect, also  cancellations after the problems on the Christmas cruise.

To answer a question on another thread Thomas is the Maitre D in Princess and did an excellent Cherries Jubilee at the Saturday Gala dinner. His team is excellent and we are having very good service and food.  The gala dinner had choices like chateau briand and half lobster. The now usual glass of sparkly was supplied with the compliments of the Captain in lieu of the welcome party.

Doing this update on my mobile as we enter Lisbon  as I cannot get reliable Internet in my cabin on my Dell laptop, my wife's iPad,  her iPhone or my Samsung. I think the Internet has also been problematic because of the late change to Lisbon. If we wish to go ashore we have to complete a passenger locator form on line, not required in December. I have heard a lot of complaints and there have been long queues at connexions particular for non Internet users. Not helped by the fact you get almost to the end of the form and it demands the postcode of the cruise terminal and won't let you proceed further so it is back to Go to search the Internet and you don't collect £200 (Monopoly reference for Brits). 

There was also a deck rota for testing on Sunday published in the daily program. Because it was part of the details about going ashore in Lisbon we and many others thought it was connected to that but in the end it was mandatory testing for all passengers. At the end of the day there were public announcements for specific cabins who had not attended. More worrying there were about 5 announcements during the day for specific cabins to return immediately to their cabin and contact the purser. These occurred a couple of hours after the particular deck was rested.  I hope I am adding 2+2 and getting 5 but they were unusual announcements. Anyway we got our negative certification last night and my wife is ready to enjoy the Lisbon shops again and hopefully stock up on tonic water for the bottles of gin we have been able to buy on board. We will then be able to conduct a clinical trial to see if the quinine in tonic water prevents Covid.

All the above is meant to be a description of  living with Covid on a cruise a lot of which we expected  because of 2 previous trips but we travelled anyway.  Captain West introduced some officers before the 10pm Gala night show. He made a passing jokey remark about the Doctor suddenly having the largest number of staff on ship. All the testing was being done by the same company Southampton used. All the crew are tested each Sunday and I suspect passengers may be. The Captain said QM2 had reset protocols to those used in September  on QE and it does feel similar. I think Cunard are really trying their best and I hope they not Covid win the battle. There are nearly as many crew as passengers according to the Captain.

Capacity in the Royal Court and illuminations even with reduced numbers is limited and they are streaming talks to the cabins. Stephen Payne gave a talk on Titanic yesterday. 

BTW for people who know her Deinnie is on board but is unable to sit at the bar in the Commodore club.

Sorry for any mistakes I hate typing on a mobile screen. Off to breakfast now moored alongside. Got till 1800 tonight.

In partial answer to Hattie the vast number of passengers are British and German very few Americans so I guess they account for a large number of cancellations. So far I am glad we came after the trials of the last 2 years and hope we will be as lucky as our 2 previous 2 QE cruises.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, phillipahain said:

Given the experience on 22nd Dec to 10th Jan ill fated Xmas cruise i would guess its a mix of reasons 

Cannot fault all the lovely Phillipino etc staff in Dining Room or the cabin staff they were exemplorary right through ....Edgar in deck 2 of Brittania was fun ...give him my regards and hope he found LIDL 

Is same Capt West onboard ?      

The one real problem on that route with Cunard is the dire satellite internet connection 

Captain Hall in command  internet poor

Very sunny Lisbon 2day all ok so far Biscay smooth food & staff as u would expect spa gym  library laundrettes open usual laundry available if required ask cabin steward                                     in anticipation of limited internet b4 Barbados will do a full report then or on return

• Like 1