Mask Policy

need2vaca

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

IMHO, anyone so nervous about becoming infected shouldn't be sailing yet.

I'll add to this that if you're so nervous about becoming infected, on a fully vaccinated cruise, because someone isn't wearing a mask, maybe you don't need to be cruising

• Like 9

NCL will continue to require masks until they figure out it's costing them money.  We cancelled almost $18k in bookings the week following their new masking requirement.  We will not cruise on any ship that requires a mask.

Perhaps the cruise lines could adopt this policy:  cruises leaving from a port require masks on the first and third week of the month, cruises leaving on the other weeks don't.  Wonder which would be more popular.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perhaps the cruise lines could adopt this policy:  cruises leaving from a port require masks on the first and third week of the month, cruises leaving on the other weeks don't.  Wonder which would be more popular.

Great idea!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I actually think there is a chance we end up with some hybrid model to accommodate the niche markets emerging. Those that want the most strict standards and those that don't ;-).

Instead of one week on/one week off, I believe it maybe ship specific. Those of us who have been cruising awhile remember this happened when ships initially went to no smoking. There were smoking ships and non smoking ships while the lines figured out what the market wanted.

Regardless, the biggest question remains.... what will save the industry? 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL will continue to require masks until they figure out it's costing them money.  We cancelled almost $18k in bookings the week following their new masking requirement.  We will not cruise on any ship that requires a mask.

Masking helps mitigate the risk of COVID spread on the ships. No one likes masking, but 10's of thousands of passengers cruise weekly across different cruise lines. There is zero possibility that any cruise line would adopt a "sometimes mask" / "sometimes no mask" policy. Mitigating risk is a big marketing sales item.... saying that they are going to offer "more risky cruises" is not a big seller. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Masking helps mitigate the risk of COVID spread on the ships. No one likes masking, but 10's of thousands of passengers cruise weekly across different cruise lines. There is zero possibility that any cruise line would adopt a "sometimes mask" / "sometimes no mask" policy. Mitigating risk is a big marketing sales item.... saying that they are going to offer "more risky cruises" is not a big seller. 

There are costs associated with masking.  The question is this:  do the benefits outweigh the costs?  I happen to think they don't.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Instead of one week on/one week off, I believe it maybe ship specific. Those of us who have been cruising awhile remember this happened when ships initially went to no smoking. There were smoking ships and non smoking ships while the lines figured out what the market wanted.

I thought of that but discarded that idea because there are some ports that only have one ship servicing that port.  For example NOLA, has only Breakaway.  If the policy were ship specific, those wishing to cruise from that port would have no choice.  Alternating between weeks provides more choice.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

There are costs associated with masking.  The question is this:  do the benefits outweigh the costs?  I happen to think they don't.

To even the opinion count.

I think they do. Masks required, wear one.

However, like you said we all have choices. Cruise or don't cruise.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A cruise line that didn't require masking would have a bigger marketing sales item, ie, a cruise you can enjoy.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1