Any “Stella” drinkers who have cruised recently?

somogirl

5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is a middle of the road lager. Maybe close to Miller. Stella is I believe owned by Anhauser-Bush. That possibly explains why the US version is brewed in St. Louis. You should be able to find it to try yourself. Many bars in the US carry it on draft. It is sold many places in cans. Its sales rest on a 30 year old reputation when it was marketed as sophisticated.

Yep. 30 years ago, it was around 5.2 ABV and 33 IBUs. I’m not sure about the current US version, but internationally outside of Belgium it’s somewhere between 4-4.6% ABV and down to around 20 IBU. 

Stella is owned by Anhauser-Bush INBEV. 

15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don't know about that but it is often sold at a markup over Bud or Miller for no real reason except marketing. 

Stella isn't all it's often cracked up to be as others have attested - on that I can agree. But to compare it to Bud or Miller is, I fear, taking things a little too far. To be frank, I wouldn't wash my socks in either of those! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I used to drink Michelob (not that Lite stuff) and Pabst Blue Ribbon when I was younger.  Now it's mostly IPA and Porters.  I can't seem to find regular Michelob anywhere, anymore.

Funny but this brings back memories of my dad when I was a kid.  Of course the selection of domestic beer in those days was very limited.  He used to buy and drink the cheapest beer he could find by the six pack.  That included Pabst, Schlitz, Narragansett, Schaefer, and Bud of course.  Before lite beers were even a concept.  On special occasions he would drink Miller High Life.  On really special occasions he would treat himself to Michelob (the high end Budweiser).  He loved that stuff!

Edited by TeeRick

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Funny but this brings back memories of my dad when I was a kid.  Of course the selection of domestic beer in those days was very limited.  He used to buy and drink the cheapest beer he could find by the six pack.  That included Pabst, Schlitz, Narragansett, Schaefer, and Bud of course.  Before lite beers were even a concept.  On special occasions he would drink Miller High Life.  On really special occasions he would treat himself to Michelob (the high end Budweiser).  He loved that stuff!

I wonder if I’d like that stuff if I drank it today….

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I wonder if I’d like that stuff if I drank it today….

Went to a college reunion a few years back and someone ordered a pitcher of Bud Lite. Couldn’t even stand the smell anymore. I’m guessing the answer is no…

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I used to drink Michelob (not that Lite stuff) and Pabst Blue Ribbon when I was younger.  Now it's mostly IPA and Porters.  I can't seem to find regular Michelob anywhere, anymore.

Come to think of it, haven't seen Michelob in years...I suppose I was thinking back to my younger days..the best beer was always free and cold.  I'm not ashamed to admit I'll still down a lawnmower beer or 3 in the summertime.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

High Life..The Champagne of Beers...sounds like we are close in age...

6 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Come to think of it, haven't seen Michelob in years...I suppose I was thinking back to my younger days..the best beer was always free and cold.  I'm not ashamed to admit I'll still down a lawnmower beer or 3 in the summertime.  

I find some at my local Total Wine.  Ultra and “lager” in dark box/packaging.  Not sure if that is the beer I remember.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, rmalbers said:

OP: I should add that, as a beer drinker, my big problem with the premium package is that a lot of the premium beers are not at a lot of the bars, they just don't have room in some of the bars for the selections.

I have been very disappointed with craft beer availability on the last few cruises. Many are completely unavailable or only available in certain bars. However, it’s up to bartenders what they carry up from the stores and most of them only bring up the things they expect to have the biggest demand for. Even the so called special beer bar Craft & Social often doesn’t have availability of half the beers on the menu

3 minutes ago, Definitas said:

I have been very disappointed with craft beer availability on the last few cruises. Many are completely unavailable or only available in certain bars. However, it’s up to bartenders what they carry up from the stores and most of them only bring up the things they expect to have the biggest demand for. Even the so called special beer bar Craft & Social often doesn’t have availability of half the beers on the menu

Don't blame bartenders bringing things up. There are severe supply problems, and that's not just on ships. 

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Michelob lager is available but is of limited availability.  There is a greater emphasis in marketing the Ultra brand.

After you have your first beer, many people cannot tell the difference between brands for additional servings.  🍺

25 minutes ago, keesar said:

Michelob lager is available but is of limited availability.  There is a greater emphasis in marketing the Ultra brand.

After you have your first beer, many people cannot tell the difference between brands for additional servings.  🍺

You just have to plan your attack. Start with a Session around 25 IBUs or so, then graduate to an IPA at 28-30 IBUs, and move on to a Double at 30+ IBUs. Mix it up with East Coast style and West Coast style. You’ll know the difference…

Edited by markeb
Can’t spell!

5 minutes ago, keesar said:

15 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Don't blame bartenders bringing things up. There are severe supply problems, and that's not just on ships. 

I’m not blaming bar tenders not least because I have known some of them for some years. The reason for some shortages is because some beers, particularly the less popular ones remain in the store room. This was first explained to me by a barman who later became a bar manager. It was subsequently confirmed at the CC soirée by the Food and Beverage manager. The best way round it is to ask one of the bar tenders at a Favourite bar to stock your preferences, if possible and tip them for helping. I’ve found that often works. 

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

You just have to plan your attack. Start with a Session around 25 IBUs or so, then graduate to an IPA at 28-30 IBUs, and move on to a Double at 30+ IBUs. Mix it up with East Coast style and West Coast style. You’ll no the difference…

Nicely put!

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I'm not ashamed to admit I'll still down a lawnmower beer or 3 in the summertime.

Exactly what the old, big name American beers are for in my experience. That and fishing, or anything where it's really hot. Kind of refreshing but that's about it. 

2 minutes ago, Islandhop9 said:

Newcastle in the US is now bottled by Lagunitas in the US also.  I like it, but it's definitely not the same, I find it more hoppy.

I guess one benefit is less concern of supply chain disruptions. 

I also like Newcastle but haven’t had it since the change.  But isn’t that a good thing, letting a decent brewery make it.  Maybe not, if it tastes different.

12 minutes ago, txtechmk said:

To answer your question, we are on the Reflection currently. My husband asked for Stella to be put in our refrigerator. I just checked. It says imported and Belgium on the label and does not say premium anywhere. 

Thank you for checking, good news. 

2 hours ago, txtechmk said:

To answer your question, we are on the Reflection currently. My husband asked for Stella to be put in our refrigerator. I just checked. It says imported and Belgium on the label and does not say premium anywhere. 

Are you in a suite or do you have the Drinks and More package?