DisneyWorld for the Day when ship at Pt Canaveral ?

On 1/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I am not really sure where to post this question - help  😀

Just booked a 9 day Itinerary (to replace a canceled Getaway) which includes Port Canaveral - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (Friday, August 26) 

Never been there

Wondering about making the long trek into the park for the day - I guess we would book the NCL "transfer only" to get there and back

Any comments - suggestions ? (2 senior citizens - probably would not go on a whole lot of rides, maybe just enjoy a "themed" meal somewhere) 

Thank You 

I'm a huge Disney fan so we did this excursion just to get our Disney fix :). We took the transfers and went to Disney Spring. We ate at the Boathouse restaurant and sat outside on the water. We drank, ate and enjoyed our surroundings. We also toured the monorail resorts and  bought stuff. 

We’re big Disney fans and do a week at Disney World each year. It’s been mentioned about limited time, 4-6 hours. We can have a great day in a park in 6 hours. And we do a ton of rides. OP said likely wouldn’t do a lot of rides. OP never posed this as “is it a good value”. Everyone just says too expensive. That’s relative to each person. 

I agree thinking Kennedy Space might be a better value. But I also think if OP wants to see a Disney park they could have a decent time. Especially if they just want Disney atmosphere not intending to ride the top rides.  But yes you need to book a restaurant in advance, you can’t get into anyplace decent without a reservation made. Plus each park has the top ride as paid ride if they didn’t want to waste time standing in line.

I wouldn’t do Springs. We’ve stayed at a Disney hotel without park tickets once for a night pre-cruise and did Springs.  All that did was make us sad we didn’t have tickets for the park. 

Depending on their interests, Animal Kingdom could be a great option. Go on the safari, do the two animal walking trails, see the Lion King live action show, see the bird show, see Kite Tails show, wander around Pandora. Lines aren’t too long usually for Navi River Journey in Pandora and that’s a pretty tame ride. Have a nice meal at Tusker House or Yak and Yeti. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 2:54 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I am not really sure where to post this question - help  😀

Just booked a 9 day Itinerary (to replace a canceled Getaway) which includes Port Canaveral - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (Friday, August 26) 

Never been there

Wondering about making the long trek into the park for the day - I guess we would book the NCL "transfer only" to get there and back

Any comments - suggestions ? (2 senior citizens - probably would not go on a whole lot of rides, maybe just enjoy a "themed" meal somewhere) 

Thank You 

People have a lot of different opinions about Disney, and many people (like some commenters above) over the decades have become disenchanted with the company over various decisions and changes, but it comes down to what matters to you. I do think it would easily cost you $400-500 for two people just for admission and themed dining.  No one else can decide if this is worth it to you or not.  I personally think you would have a great time. If the cost is not a concern, then it might be a good thing to do with your day.  

You should definitely keep in mind some of the things said above... you do need to buy tickets as soon as possible in advance and make your park reservation.  You can't show up the day of without a reservation, and some days sell out well in advance so you may not be able to get into the park you want if you wait.  If you want to do a sit-down dining, especially in one of the popular themed restaurants, then you need to make reservations for that as soon as the reservations open (I think someone above said 60 days, I don't know that detail myself).  If you do those things you should be fine.   As others have said, you are at least 45-60 minutes from the parks if there is no traffic.  I'm guessing you may not be to the actual park until 9:30 or 10:00 and then will probably need to leave by 4:00 or 4:30 to get to the bus back.  But for a lot of people that is enough time in the park, especially if you aren't planning a lot of rides.  It was mentioned that you are both senior citizens... without knowing your preferred activity level, I can only share my own experience that the older members of my family that have joined on Disney trips typically like to go to the parks for just a few hours at a time because they get tired with so much walking and how hot it is in the summer.... so this time frame would be more than enough for them to get the enjoyment without feeling like they've exhausted themselves. You have a couple hours to walk around Magic Kingdom and try a ride or two, then sit for a nice lunch in air conditioning, and then maybe another ride or two and some shopping.  I personally disagree on the recommendation for Disney Springs, as to me it is basically a Disney-fied outdoor shopping mall and won't give you a Disney park experience.  If you are just looking to eat and shop, it would be fine, but I interpreted your intent differently.  Enjoy your cruise!

Comments above have referred to what many (including I) would consider Florida’s less than desirable weather in August for visiting a Disney park. Just to underscore those comments, here’s what MickeyVisit says:

Visiting Disney World in August means visiting during hurricane season in Florida which results in high humidity, heat, and potential for afternoon rain. The average high in August is 92 degrees with the average low being 72 degrees. While the rain might not last long, August sees large amounts of rain with an average of 7 inches for the month. Since August also equals hurricane season, there is a chance these rain showers can develop into afternoon storms but the good news is that Orlando is located further inland which keeps it out of the fray for most storms.

Most summer rainstorms move in and out quickly within an hour so it usually won't impact your days at the parks too much. Those afternoon showers can also help cool down the parks and bring that average high temperature down a few degrees making the rest of the day a bit more bearable. Regardless, you should be prepared for hot, humid, and rainy weather when visiting Disney World in August.

https://mickeyvisit.com/disney-world-in-august/

On 1/15/2022 at 5:47 PM, Turtles06 said:

As an alternative, what about the Kennedy Space Center?  Unless you have zero interest in the space program, it's absolutely fabulous.  Not far, and you'll have time to see plenty.   (Also, besides everything else folks have said in terms of the "cons" of going to Disney, Florida in August is disgustingly hot and humid.  I see you are from Arizona, but even so...)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYYcclhBGOal9qa1g_FeXoG5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1637099971

(photo by turtles06)

I am in full agreement with this, although-- disclaimer-- I am not a huge Disney fan (I just was there in December to experience it with my grandchildren and I think it's the last time). The Space Center is a great way to spend the day especially if you are at all blown away by space flight and or science in general.

IF however, you want the Disney experience in a short amount of time, I agree with everyone who said to go to Disney Springs instead. Disney World itself is just not made for a one day experience. 

Edited by halos
  • Like 1

Unfortunately for us, Disney has priced my family out from going. There is a price-to-value ratio for vacationing. I knew about 5-years ago they were turning the parks into something Walt would have emphatically refused. Now it is catered to the wealthy. At $125+ per day, the $10-$15pp fastpass change, charging for resort parking, getting rid of MCO transfers, charging for Uber and food deliveries, and every other $5-$10 (100x worse than nickel and diming), they will not longer see my money. I can't sell organs on an open market in order to go. 

From a "value" standpoint, yes, it would be expensive for a short time period. (But if you come from a high cost of living area, the cost may no seem like a big deal.) From a logistics standpoint, yes, it's a long drive (although we do similar-length drives or boat rides often for excursions). Yes, weather-wise it's hot and muggy. (On the plus side, if OP decides to go, it's late enough in August that most kids should be in school and the parks won't be packed.)

If your main goal is just to check things out, maybe have a nice lunch, etc., an excursion would still be enjoyable for me, personally. When we go to Disneyworld, we rarely spend an entire day at the park anyway.