DisneyWorld for the Day when ship at Pt Canaveral ?

I am not really sure where to post this question - help  😀

Just booked a 9 day Itinerary (to replace a canceled Getaway) which includes Port Canaveral - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (Friday, August 26) 

Never been there

Wondering about making the long trek into the park for the day - I guess we would book the NCL "transfer only" to get there and back

Any comments - suggestions ? (2 senior citizens - probably would not go on a whole lot of rides, maybe just enjoy a "themed" meal somewhere) 

Thank You 

The Disney parks are pretty expensive for the amount of time you'll be there.  Port Canaveral is at least an hour away by bus without any kind of traffic or delay.  We tried it once and will never do it again, not enough time in the park.  We have gone to Disney Springs, which is a Disney shopping village.  There are plenty of stores if you want Disney themed items and  a lot of restaurants.  We've also done the Cape Canaveral excursion, which was wonderful. 

• Like 2

Did this a few years back.   Really not enough time to enjoy or get your money’s worth.   Used the excursion transfer as would never chance trying on my own.   Any traffic snarl and say goodbye to the ship

17 minutes ago, happydaz said:

The Disney parks are pretty expensive for the amount of time you'll be there.  Port Canaveral is at least an hour away by bus without any kind of traffic or delay.  We tried it once and will never do it again, not enough time in the park.  We have gone to Disney Springs, which is a Disney shopping village.  There are plenty of stores if you want Disney themed items and  a lot of restaurants.  We've also done the Cape Canaveral excursion, which was wonderful. 

So - are you saying go to Disney Springs instead ? 

1 minute ago, negn said:

Did this a few years back.   Really not enough time to enjoy or get your money’s worth.   Used the excursion transfer as would never chance trying on my own.   Any traffic snarl and say goodbye to the ship

11 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Is this an official NCL excursion or were you thinking just on your own.  As @happydazsays...that would be a rather expensive trek for a limited amount of time regardless of how it was booked.

Was planning using the NCL transfer (in case of a traffic snarl !) 

Realize that there would not be much time - thanks for comments  

Even a themed meals (lunch) for 2 at Disney Springs can get pretty expensive, with the added-on round-trip transfers only bus/motorcoach transportation (deducted with the $50 Free At Sea shorex credits, if applicable)

What do you have in mind as being "themed" meals - the lines & wait time can be pretty long on a busy Friday - maybe, you want to just do the Coca Beach & Coca Village transfer, "inexpensive" and just 15 minutes away - and enjoy a relaxing meal, reasonably priced, in town instead.  

Just a heads up, you have to purchase your tickets in advance and get a reservation for a specific park. You can't just show up day of now unless doing it as an official excursion through a cruise or tour company.

Edited by Photoc
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

So - are you saying go to Disney Springs instead ? 

If you want a Disney day, I would go to Disney Springs.  There are no admission fees and you can take your time to shop and eat.  

• Like 3

As an alternative, what about the Kennedy Space Center?  Unless you have zero interest in the space program, it's absolutely fabulous.  Not far, and you'll have time to see plenty.   (Also, besides everything else folks have said in terms of the "cons" of going to Disney, Florida in August is disgustingly hot and humid.  I see you are from Arizona, but even so...)

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYYcclhBGOal9qa1g_FeXoG5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1637099971

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 3

for a few hours, not worth the time, effort or expense. my sister lives 15 minutes from the park and every day she tells me how expensive it is. yesterday, epcot offered a figment popcorn bucket for $25.  there was a 7 hour wait in line to buy one. they were already on ebay for between 150-200. 

i wouldnt do it unless i have at least a week 

From doing this drive multiple times (10 plus) it is at best 90 - 100 minutes door to door. Let alone the wait for the ride to and from. If you Uber its close to most parks except Magic Kingdom. My math, from experience says 3.5 - 4 hours for transport. Kennedy Space Center is OK if you haven't been. You can do an airboat ride, that works too. Last you can just do Grills Seafood Bar lunch and watch the world go by. 🙂

We went to Disney from PC once when we were APs.   

if you’re not an AP its really not worth it for the little time you’d have there.   We did maybe 3 rides and a couple character greets ate lunch and that was it.  If we didnt have an AP we wouldnt have done it.

Disney has just gotten outrageous in pricing.  We love Disney and typically go a couple times per year, but this last year we just didnt feel the magic and the nickel and diming is worse than NCL at this point.  It’s a miracle they have started charging for the bathrooms like most foreign countries.  We better not give them any ideas.

• Haha 1

If you do decide to go to Walt Disney World some things to keep in mind:

• August in the Orlando area is very hot and humid.
  • If you want themed dining in the parks, make your reservations 60 days in advance.
  • "Themed Dining" carries a price. Our visit this last December average $100+ for two. Many park restaurants are prix fixe at around $59-$89 per person each.
  • Currently a one day one park ticket for August 26 is $126 (if not included with your tour).
  • If you have visited Disneyland you may enjoy going to EPCOT rather than the Magic Kingdom, which is similar to Disneyland (although larger in size, Magic Kingdom actually has fewer attractions than Disneyland)
  • For themed dining locations in the parks I'd recommend: In EPCOT - Space 220 (food & atmosphere) and Coral Reef (atmosphere); In Magic Kingdom - Be Our Guest (pricey) & Jungle Skipper Canteen. 

It would be an absolute waste of time. It takes about an hour to get there, it will be hot as Hades with high humidity, traffic is horrible. Add to it that it would cost about $150pp just to get in. Then meals, snacks, etc cost a fortune. Add in waiting in long lines or having to buy your way to the front per person, not worth it at all. We use to go all the time when it was fun. Now it is work, expensive, and the fun is taken away.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 4:54 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I am not really sure where to post this question - help  😀

Just booked a 9 day Itinerary (to replace a canceled Getaway) which includes Port Canaveral - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (Friday, August 26) 

Never been there

Wondering about making the long trek into the park for the day - I guess we would book the NCL "transfer only" to get there and back

Any comments - suggestions ? (2 senior citizens - probably would not go on a whole lot of rides, maybe just enjoy a "themed" meal somewhere) 

Thank You 

If you are lucky you will get 4  hours  6 at the most at the park.  It costs  $139.00 for a single park pass, depending on the day of the week.  You also have to make  reservation for the day.

Greetings

Another thing to consider that non-Floridians may not realize is that August is prime time in Florida for big thunderstorms.  And much of the time these storms build in the center of the state and then drift towards either coast (depending on the winds).  The Orlando area sees a great number of these storms throughout the summer months.  They could cut you time at Disney even more.  Just something to know about.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 3

And not to mention there are no longer free fast passes.  You would have the additional cost of buying a Lighting Lane pass or waiting in long lines.

Agree with above poster that Disney World has lost a lot of "Magic".  We used to go annually for years when our two children were younger.  We went this past May with extended family and we all agreed we are done--and that was before the recent fast pass changes.  

Save your money and make better use of your time.

• Like 1

In addition to the time it takes to travel from port to Disney, keep in mind that a bus will drop you at what is called the Disney Transportation Center.

From there you will need to use the Disney Transportation System to get to the front gates of whatever park or area you plan on seeing. That transportation may not be directly from the Transportation Center to the designation and can include various stops on the way. 

You will also have factor the time to return to your bus in the afternoon.

With the time constraints, I don't think it's a viable tour given the dollars involved. It's about a one hour each way plus the travel times within the property. This won't give you a lot of time to even look around, much less to do anything. Of course, this is your decision, but i wouldn't do it.

• Like 1