Teppanyaki at $0.00?

Brian V

Hey all - was just poking around on our reservation on the Joy (26 days out, can't wait!) trying to figure out what to book for specialty dining and came across this:

Teppanyaki.png.b122ec70b26963f4c4933f9597c2997c.png

I don't know if it's just me (could be 🤪) but I thought that price came up at $29.00usd  previously?

I can select it, select a date and time and party size so guessing it is not closed due to the "c" word I will not mention but...?

Is this a change or am I just that unobservant???

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

if you have the dinning package, there is no cost for teppanyaki

Thanks, I was aware of that but just thought it showed a price before.

Not going to waste a SDC on that when I can dine at le Bistro or Cagney's 🙂, would charge it on our account if we do try it.

8 minutes ago, andychris said:

I see $0 for moderno also. 
im sure it’s a glitch 

Same as the response to the OP. If you have a dining package, and you have not booked any dinners, Teppanyaki and Moderno will show a cost of zero (which is the cost you would pay with the SDP). Not a glitch. Intentional, so that people using their SDP to eat at Teppanyaki or Moderno don't end up paying for a free meal. 

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Same as the response to the OP. If you have a dining package, and you have not booked any dinners, Teppanyaki and Moderno will show a cost of zero (which is the cost you would pay with the SDP). Not a glitch. Intentional, so that people using their SDP to eat at Teppanyaki or Moderno don't end up paying for a free meal. 

Curious why that never showed for any of our bookings on Getaway in November/December.  Definitely had a dining package and were not able to book until onboard and both Moderno and Teppanyaki both showed the list prices on our cruise personalizer.

In fact, on the 5 we currently have booked they show what appears to be the new prices for both at $49.00 per person.

Which is absurd, IMHO.

image.png.618cff2a499623f5be8dda23488b7139.png

Edited by ECCruise

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Curious why that never showed for any of our bookings on Getaway in November/December.  Definitely had a dining package and were not able to book until onboard and both Moderno and Teppanyaki both showed the list prices on our cruise personalizer.

usually this happens if you book the restaurants in the wrong order. if you run of the number of meals in the dinning package then you will see the full price.

When making reservations online, you want to book Moderno and Teppanyaki first and then the al la carte places last

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shof515 said:

usually this happens if you book the restaurants in the wrong order. if you run of the number of meals in the dinning package then you will see the full price.

When making reservations online, you want to book Moderno and Teppanyaki first and then the al la carte places last

I know all that (we've done it several dozen times). Nothing is booked, so they can't be in the "wrong order."  We have dining package on all 5 of those sailings and it is too early to book (which it says in the screenshot I posted) so nothing could be deducted from any dining package (or Diamond Latitudes benefits).

2 hours ago, n4w said:

Free or fee, these are just reservations, aren't they?  You won't be charged or use up a dining package meal until you show up to enjoy it.

No. Absolutely not. If you did not have a dining package, you would be charged for Teppanyaki or Moderno at time of booking. Which is why, if booking were to be allowed, it would not charge you if they were the first restaurants you booked. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

usually this happens if you book the restaurants in the wrong order. 

Not us. We book the a la carte places first (so to order and eat multiple appetizers/desserts) an then Teppanyaki/Moderno.

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Not us. We book the a la carte places first (so to order and eat multiple appetizers/desserts) an then Teppanyaki/Moderno.

This is very bad advice for folks trying to understand how to make restaurant reservations. 

In this scenario, you would be charged the cost of dining at Teppanyaki or Moderno at time of booking. Even if you intended to use an SDP at Teppanyaki or Moderno. You could get a refund onboard, in the form of an OBC, if you use your SDP to pay onboard. 

If eating was your priority, Moderno allows you to eat as much meat as you want (along with an endless salad bar with sushi, soups, salads, meats, and cheeses). 

Edited by BirdTravels

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

This is very bad advice for folks trying to understand how to make restaurant reservations. 

In this scenario, you would be charged the cost of dining at Teppanyaki or Moderno at time of booking. Even if you intended to use an SDP at Teppanyaki or Moderno. You could get a refund onboard, in the form of an OBC, if you use your SDP to pay onboard. 

Dining in a la carte Specialty restaurants would cost more than the set price ones, this means we would rather pay for set price than a la carte.

On 7 day sailings you get only 2 SDPs, and you want to book, say, 4 specialty dinners …. we book the a la carte dinners first so that we can use the SDPs on them. Then we book and pay the set price dinners.

Edited by bluesea777

22 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

On 7 day sailings you get only 2 SDPs, and you want to book, say, 4 specialty dinners …. we book the a la carte dinners first so that we can use the SDPs on them. Then we book and pay the set price dinners.

with the new free at sea changes coming soon depending on the cabin you book, you get 1 SDP instead of 2 SDP 😞

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Dining in a la carte Specialty restaurants would cost more than the set price ones, this means we would rather pay for set price than a la carte.

When you arrive at a specialty restaurant, you can tell them whether you want to use your credit or not when you sit down. So if you wanted to eat at Moderno on night one, but use your credits at Le Bistro & Cagneys on nights 2 & 3 - just tell the staff at Moderno that you are NOT using your credit. Then you'll be charged at the end of your meal. No one is disputing your logic of which places are a better value for your money, just your logic in reserving them.

Doing it the other way has you pay now, weeks/months before you've even had your dinner. And if your plans change for any reason, then you're left fighting to get the money back. As opposed to having 4 reservation holds all for 'free' and then deciding which ones are truly going to be free and which you'll pay for at the time of chowing down.

As for the person who feels that $50 for all you can eat churrascaria or a hibachi dinner is a waste of money and not worth it.. meh, it's all a matter of perspective. In NY I wouldn't bat an eye at those prices. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian V said:

Hey all - was just poking around on our reservation on the Joy (26 days out, can't wait!) trying to figure out what to book for specialty dining and came across this:

I don't know if it's just me (could be 🤪) but I thought that price came up at $29.00usd  previously?

I can select it, select a date and time and party size so guessing it is not closed due to the "c" word I will not mention but...?

Just an fyi: it's  $49 each now

18 hours ago, Brian V said:

I know on the February POA sailings that got cancelled, passengers had received notification that Teppanyaki and Moderno would not be open. I wonder if they have decided to close some specialties for now, especially Teppanyaki where there’s close contact with others outside your party?

Edited by Cindy

21 hours ago, Brian V said:

We are on the same Joy sailing and when I just looked at Teppanyaki, the price comes up at $46.80 which includes the 20% gratuity and specialty service charge.   

19 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We are on the same Joy sailing and when I just looked at Teppanyaki, the price comes up at $46.80 which includes the 20% gratuity and specialty service charge.   

US$ 46.80 - ouch!

• 2 weeks later...