Bit of a Blog : B2B2B : SoA : embarking 20/01/22

NorbertsNiece

2 hours ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Currently 144 guests and 71 crew confined with Covid.

Given how many cases have been reported, I wonder if some guests have tested positive twice ?

And ignore those that call you pampered.  It seems to me that you have a great rapport with the crew,  and you have never complained,  despite a troubled (understatement) few weeks. 

Being totally mercenary,  I'm wondering if you might end up paying nothing for your total holiday ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Hi Linda

Thanks for the updates. 

Reading that you didn’t alter your clock reminded me that on a transatlantic (can’t remember which ship) the clocks were altered at mid-day.  It worked really well as guests and (probably more importantly) the crew, experienced no disruption to their sleep!

How are you doing at the quiz?

Brenda

Brenda, when we’ve done the crossings to the UK on the Queen Mary 2, the clocks were changed at 1 p.m. Is that the line you’re thinking of? We really liked it....we didn’t even notice losing an hour mid-day.

6 hours ago, pennyob said:

Brenda, when we’ve done the crossings to the UK on the Queen Mary 2, the clocks were changed at 1 p.m. Is that the line you’re thinking of? We really liked it....we didn’t even notice losing an hour mid-day.

pennyob, we haven’t been on any Cunard ships but think it may have been Oceania. We thought it was a great idea.

Thanks for letting us know the latest Covid position on board. The number of passengers at 144 presumably covers those in isolation as having been in contact as well as those who have actual caught it. Last Friday the number of infections in England was between 3 and 4 % which includes those not fully vaccinated. Using the higher number and assuming there are 750 passengers on board would imply that 30 people could be infected leaving 114 as contacts. I don't know if they are being restricted to their cabins but these sort of numbers would certainly put me off cruising. The question is the definition of close contacts being over sensitive.

36 minutes ago, Harvey2442 said:

Thanks for letting us know the latest Covid position on board. The number of passengers at 144 presumably covers those in isolation as having been in contact as well as those who have actual caught it. Last Friday the number of infections in England was between 3 and 4 % which includes those not fully vaccinated. Using the higher number and assuming there are 750 passengers on board would imply that 30 people could be infected leaving 114 as contacts. I don't know if they are being restricted to their cabins but these sort of numbers would certainly put me off cruising. The question is the definition of close contacts being over sensitive.

Close contacts are no longer confined. The number relates to those tested positive x

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given how many cases have been reported, I wonder if some guests have tested positive twice ?

And ignore those that call you pampered.  It seems to me that you have a great rapport with the crew,  and you have never complained,  despite a troubled (understatement) few weeks. 

Being totally mercenary,  I'm wondering if you might end up paying nothing for your total holiday ?

The Caribbean leg is being fully refunded. Many of us have booked through TA's and Saga are looking at the possibility of refunding us directly as opposed to via the TA....... took 60 days to get the cancelled portion of the cruise refunded last year!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

pennyob, we haven’t been on any Cunard ships but think it may have been Oceania. We thought it was a great idea.

The mid day time change was certainly done on our Caribbean round trip on Arcadia. I think the decision is down to the individual captain, but it makes a lot of sense.

Captain's update :

Warp factor 1 to Southampton arrival hopefully midmorning 9th but will update tomorrow. 

3 new crew and 1 guest tested positive in last 24 hours. Makes 57 crew and 143 guests currently infected. Includes those released.

Rebooked food delivery for Thursday just in case.

I've literally just had LFT.

Edited by NorbertsNiece
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

Captain's update :

Warp factor 1 to Southampton arrival hopefully midmorning 9th but will update tomorrow. 

3 new crew and 1 guest tested positive in last 24 hours. Makes 57 crew and 143 guests currently infected. Includes those released.

Rebooked food delivery for Thursday just in case.

I've literally just had LFT.

Those are staggeringly high infection figures, if it’s really around 1 in 5 of all passengers. Or have I misinterpreted something?

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Those are staggeringly high infection figures, if it’s really around 1 in 5 of all passengers. Or have I misinterpreted something?

It’s a huge amount, and this is with Covid protocols in place

However, as people seem to be pushing for the ‘we just gotta live with it and treat it like flu so let’s ignore it’ approach, this level of infection on board would become the norm, if not more.

I wouldn’t cruise on that basis, and I don’t think any responsible cruise line would allow the full ‘just gotta live with it’ approach  

51 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

However, as people seem to be pushing for the ‘we just gotta live with it and treat it like flu so let’s ignore it’ approach, this level of infection on board would become the norm, if not more.

I wouldn’t cruise on that basis, and I don’t think any responsible cruise line would allow the full ‘just gotta live with it’ approach  

Ignoring it will have to be an option eventually - it’s the only way forward-

the alternative is constant testing/isolation/bubble excursions only/crew not allowed off the ship  and minimising occupational levels which is not sustainable and it still won’t work.

It’s impossible to stop this one and I would argue no need anymore as it’s not serious thankfully.

hotels and resorts don’t test - I would speculate that the infection levels in those would be the same if not higher than on a ship.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No protocol will work - QED.

7 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

Saga SoD did this on the way back from NY (2019-2020) - changes all at 14:00 hours. Much better than nighttime.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I believe that currently the cruise lines testing and isolation programmes are to comply with both their CLIA membership regulations, and the regulations of the countries they are sailing to.

I think that much will be dropped as and when countries accept that this is now endemic, which in turn depends on how their vaccination programmes go.  The main things I am taking from these reports are: (a) this is an incredibly infectious virus, (b) vaccination and masking does not stop infections or transmission, and most importantly, (c) most people would not be aware they had caught it unless they were tested (which does also suggest that it is definitely worth being vaccinated!).

If (c) continues, the "just gotta live with it" is the only sensible answer - we accept the risk of all other contagious viruses including influenza and norovirus, both of which are highly contagious especially in crowded circumstances, so this should surely be the same, ultimately.

And (d) I rather think that the CEO of Saga is hoping that those of us who read his interview with Saga magazine (I think end 2020) have forgotten his pompous statement about the new ships and safety protocols could "guarantee" no Covid-19 on Saga ships. Wish I had cut it out and kept it. Framed, on the wall.

Come to think of it, when I was cancelling my cruises, the telephone operator told me the same thing - they would definitely not have any Covid on their ships!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Given that the current variant leads to symptoms that in the vast majority of cases are no worse than a cold, I think we do have to "live with it".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

I believe that currently the cruise lines testing and isolation programmes are to comply with both their CLIA membership regulations, and the regulations of the countries they are sailing to.

I think that much will be dropped as and when countries accept that this is now endemic, which in turn depends on how their vaccination programmes go.  The main things I am taking from these reports are: (a) this is an incredibly infectious virus, (b) vaccination and masking does not stop infections or transmission, and most importantly, (c) most people would not be aware they had caught it unless they were tested (which does also suggest that it is definitely worth being vaccinated!).

If (c) continues, the "just gotta live with it" is the only sensible answer - we accept the risk of all other contagious viruses including influenza and norovirus, both of which are highly contagious especially in crowded circumstances, so this should surely be the same, ultimately.

And (d) I rather think that the CEO of Saga is hoping that those of us who read his interview with Saga magazine (I think end 2020) have forgotten his pompous statement about the new ships and safety protocols could "guarantee" no Covid-19 on Saga ships. Wish I had cut it out and kept it. Framed, on the wall.

Come to think of it, when I was cancelling my cruises, the telephone operator told me the same thing - they would definitely not have any Covid on their ships!

Completely agree 

Zero covid on a ship is impossible, unachievable.  Testing and isolation is of limited value , as shown by rapid spread on SoA 

Omicron is very contagious but generally  very mild.. 

Cruise ships must live with it , like countries are now moving too, or not cruise.

If you don't want to live with it don't cruise, and if you live in England  don't leave your house either

• Like 3

It is always likely that someone will go aboard and already be infected and then pass it on to others.  However the majority of people who are fully vaccinated and boosted, find that if they are infected that their symptoms are mostly mild enough that isolating and taking normal pain killers will get them through. On the other hand unvaccinated people, and anyone not having had a booster is effectively unvaccinated when it comes to Omicron, means that some fraction of people who are not triple jabbed will become severely ill if infected.and then need hospital treatment which could cause significant problems for operating any cruise where there are significant numbers of unvaccinated passengers becoming infected. So keeping protocols, and requiring fully boosted passengers looks like being the best option to minimise the problems among anyone who does become infected on board. On the other hand if you had a full complement of passengers who are triple jabbed, as well as having been infected in recent months, then the numbers who become infected and test positive on board would be significantly reduced!

• Like 4