Pre-boarding COVID Tests

Newbury newbie

Minor panic this end! Went on the X site today to order our AbbottBinoxnow test kits to be sent to our Fort Lauderdale hotel, but it said “out of stock”! Is this common? Will I find they have stock in a few days to place an order?

We’ve got a few weeks yet, as we’re sailing 14 Feb, but I wasn’texpecting that.

You may want to try to order from eMed.com  that is the company that provides the proctoring of the tests.  The downside is that last time I ordered they only sold a package of 6 test kits.  That worked for us as we have 3 cruises coming up.

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

You may want to try to order from eMed.com  that is the company that provides the proctoring of the tests.  The downside is that last time I ordered they only sold a package of 6 test kits.  That worked for us as we have 3 cruises coming up.

That may work for us. We have 4 adults in the group and we’re planning on ordering  5 kits. So thanks for that advice!

32 minutes ago, jwlane said:

I wouldn't leave home without them in hand.  Or suitcase.

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I suspect OP is not a US resident. 

Yes, flying in from the UK on the Friday before embarkation on the Monday. Was hoping to have kits at our hotel to do the test early Saturday morning!

13 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I checked and Emed was also out of stock. Available 1/25?

Even if only one or two taking the test, it’s best to have backups. The YouTube showing how to do the test I saw needed two tests because the guy accidently flipped the test kit off the table when testing and the proctor told him it was now invalid. He had extras so all ok. 

so we order 2 2-kits when we had to. I’d order the 6 now. Especially since I only see that as available! 

den

• Like 2

I has been pretty crazy trying to get Covid testing in the U.S. since the Omicron variant has become so widespread.  There have been hours long lines at testing sites and at-home tests have become hard to come by - even on on-line websites, such as Amazon.

I am assuming (maybe incorrectly?) that you will be arriving into the U.S. from the U.K. and that is why you wanted to have your tests shipped to the hotel. 

You may want to look into the availability for antigen test appointments at local CVS or Walgreen's pharmacies.  You can book them online.  CVS opens their appointments between 12-14 days out and they go quickly!!  Make sure you are booking an antigen test, as the PCR tests take several days for a result.

Another option may be the testing site at Fort Lauderdale International Airport.  I believe the site is in Terminal Three and appointments are recommended.  Not sure of the cost, but I believe it is in the $70-90PP range.  I believe NOMI Health operates that site. 

There are other CC threads addressing this issue, so you may want to check the through several pages of the Celebrity section for additional information.

Have a great and safe cruise!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I just ordered 6 test from eMed two minutes ago so they are available.  

I tried ordering a 6 pack direct from the eMed site. Things were looking good, but towards the end of the process it started to block me because I couldn’t give a mobile number that was US based.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, rmalbers said:

OP: I should add that, as a beer drinker, my big problem with the premium package is that a lot of the premium beers are not at a lot of the bars, they just don't have room in some of the bars for the selections.

16 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

I tried ordering a 6 pack direct from the eMed site. Things were looking good, but towards the end of the process it started to block me because I couldn’t give a mobile number that was US based.

You can get tests from Qured to take with you and access online monitoring to do the test. If you look on the BA website there is a discount code which works regardless of your flight  arrangements. I’m going to take them with us for 7 March sailing. Other Brits have reported it being easy and certificates accepted byCelebrity. If you order online you have to tick the box to include video monitoring which is an extra £7 (minus discount ).  

4 minutes ago, Definitas said:

You can get tests from Qured to take with you and access online monitoring to do the test. If you look on the BA website there is a discount code which works regardless of your flight  arrangements. I’m going to take them with us for 7 March sailing. Other Brits have reported it being easy and certificates accepted byCelebrity. If you order online you have to tick the box to include video monitoring which is an extra £7 (minus discount ).  

Hi Definitas, thanks for the advice there. I’ll check it out, as I’d much rather know I had these on me. 

5 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Hi Definitas, thanks for the advice there. I’ll check it out, as I’d much rather know I had these on me. 

There have been some complaints about the Binax tests being supplied dry (not test fluid) and Celebrity don’t take any responsibility for them so using Qured may well be a better bet anyway. They would be a good fallback option. These people have had good reviews too .https://labdoctor.org/covid-pcr-testing/  I emailed them and their reply was reassuring. I’m going to do the Qured tests 2 days before boarding and, in the event there are any problems, We will do the walk in clinic as a fall back. Last resort would be walk in at Fort Lauderdale Airport. 

This COVID testing is really perplexing and stressful.  So the PCR test  kits we purchased at Publix or received from the government aren't any good for the cruise?  We had a PCR test done in December after exposure and it took 4 days to get the results back.  I paid 29.99 for one kit of 2 tests at Publix and the one Celebrity wants us to use is $69.99 for 2 tests?  I am so very confused.

2 minutes ago, judla said:

This COVID testing is really perplexing and stressful.  So the PCR test  kits we purchased at Publix or received from the government aren't any good for the cruise?  We had a PCR test done in December after exposure and it took 4 days to get the results back.  I paid 29.99 for one kit of 2 tests at Publix and the one Celebrity wants us to use is $69.99 for 2 tests?  I am so very confused.

Home tests aren’t able to be used for your pre-boarding tests.  You either need a rapid antigen from a lab, or order the proctored home test kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things are changing all the time with tests but I believe they want Lateral Flow antigen tests not PCRs thus results very quick. 

Qured would be good for UK travellers. I have used Project Screen by Prenetics for flights with supervision for about £32. Allegedly FDA accredited. 

47 minutes ago, judla said:

The test purchased at Publix and from the government are not PCR test.  They are at-home rapid test and will not satisfy Celebrity as they will not provide any “proof” of negativity.   It would simply be your word that you didn’t test positive.    The at home option that will satisfy Celebrity is the same type test but the cost includes the service of monitoring the test through the test companies portal  while being conducted (about 15 minutes) so it’s  more expensive.  After the person watches you do the test and can visually confirm the results you will be emailed confirmation of the results which Celebrity will accept. Those test can usually be purchased through eMed or Celebrity (and most likely other sources).   

Edited by NCHPcruiser
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Definitas said:

There have been some complaints about the Binax tests being supplied dry (not test fluid) and Celebrity don’t take any responsibility for them so using Qured may well be a better bet anyway. They would be a good fallback option. These people have had good reviews too .https://labdoctor.org/covid-pcr-testing/  I emailed them and their reply was reassuring. I’m going to do the Qured tests 2 days before boarding and, in the event there are any problems, We will do the walk in clinic as a fall back. Last resort would be walk in at Fort Lauderdale Airport. 

Ours have all had excess fluid in the droppers.  If doing two tests it would be a good idea to save the dropper after the first is done in case you need it. 

The regular non proxied binax now tests use the same fluid. So a dropper from on of those would work in a pinch. 

A back up is a good idea though. 

8 hours ago, Definitas said:

Been looking at the Qured website and could be a one stop shop here, ie. US Fit to Fly the day before flying out, the pre-boarding test in FL for Celebrity, and the Day 2 test on return to the UK. 

One question though. The packs your taking out with you for the pre-boarding test, I’m presuming these are ordered from the website as “fit to fly” option? I’m unsure of whether the certification received back is specific in anyway?

You choose the normal rapid antigen test and just underneath is a slider button to select the video test option. As you say, they are  good for the fit to fly test too. When you register your details they use that information for the fit to fly certificate which is the same as the ship requirement  for boarding. If you email any questions to Qured they seem to be quite quick to reply

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Definitas said:

You choose the normal rapid antigen test and just underneath is a slider button to select the video test option. As you say, they are  good for the fit to fly test too. When you register your details they use that information for the fit to fly certificate which is the same as the ship requirement  for boarding. If you email any questions to Qured they seem to be quite quick to reply

Thanks for the clarity on this. Have a good one in March!!