Live aboard the Mardi Gras

jimbo5544

1 hour ago, mondello said:

@jimbo5544 Have you spent any time in the Loft 19 area? I haven't really seen much mention of it in all the Mardi Gras posts.

Just wanted to add my .02 as I was onboard this past week and spent a substantial amount of time in Loft 19.    I believe the most amount of people I ever saw up there at one time was *maybe* 10-12 people at most.  The very front overlooking the fwd part of cruise ship had at most only 4 of us up there - the other people stayed close to the shade and/or infinity pool.

When speaking to the Loft 19 attendants inquiring why it was so sparse it was their assumption that many people in the excel suites just didn't know it was a perk.   I only ever saw at most 2 cabanas being used on 2 different occasions otherwise they all sat empty.

@jimbo5544 if you do happen to make your way to Loft 19 can you please tell Jeffrey and/or Cristine that Jaclyn says hello? Their entire team consist of 6 Loft 19 employees were all exceptional and felt spoiled and well taken care of by them all the entire week.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mondello said:

Jake? My bad if I'm wrong. I thought the CD was Chris Williams/Donkey. Now I'm confused, is Jake/Donkey the same CD? Truthfully, I pay nearly zero attention to the CD. Never knew why anyone would use a nickname like Donkey, even though I thought he preferred to be called by his given name?

Just read post #69, maybe I was half right?

Chris Williams is not Donkey...Donkey is another CD who is actually not that good/ borderline horrible. On the other hand Chris Williams is currently the best CD Carnival has. 

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor

Donkey, or as my wife calls him DOONKEEEEEY🙃 Chris ” Donkey” Salazar

PXL_20211029_201137475_MP.thumb.jpg.759098d9d96bb5089a9806a4e6e1d0ce.jpg

Edited by BasicSailor

@BabyJacks17 Thank you for the update. I have not really heard much mentioned about Loft 19 since the initial announcement on the Cabana rental prices. Guess with Celebration and Jublilee in the pipeline they may wait until getting closer to max capacity before they consider changing pricing, access or any tweaks to Loft 19. I know exclusivity has its costs but that is prime real estate to be underused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mondello said:

@BabyJacks17 Thank you for the update. I have not really heard much mentioned about Loft 19 since the initial announcement on the Cabana rental prices. Guess with Celebration and Jublilee in the pipeline they may wait until getting closer to max capacity before they consider changing pricing, access or any tweaks to Loft 19. I know exclusivity has its costs but that is prime real estate to be underused.

Absolutely!! On one of the last few days of the trip I was heading out and talking with one of the attendants when another passenger came up and asked if he could get a look around.  After touring the area he said "How much for one of the wrist bands?" and as soon as he heard $500 it was "Immediate pass"   I think about other cabanas like in Amber Cove that are over the water and come with their own amenities and those in itself are around $375 (?) for the day so I'd think Carnival should definitely consider aligning the price because I just don't see many people justifying that amount of money.  

However, I was also on a cruise that was only close to 70% capacity so maybe once at full capacity some people may succumb to the current prices for some peace.  

One other thing - with the capacity we had in mind - on sea days Serenity stayed absolutely full. 

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

On the other hand Chris Williams is currently the best CD Carnival has. 

I cruised with him the first two weeks on Mardi Gras, then Mike Peck was on board when I cruised Oct/Dec.  Honestly, not a fan of either.  OTOH, Lee Mason takes over mid March - love Lee!  We cruised with him for 25 days on the Splendor to Singapore.

@jimbo5544 enjoying the review, sigh, wish I was back on board.  Looking forward to more... 😊

9 hours ago, mondello said:

Chris Williams/Donkey was just moved from Horizon to Sunshine in Dec. when Horizon went to drydock for repairs and Sunshine was brought back into service. Waitstaff I spoke with said they were staying on Sunshine even after Horizon returned. I didn't know Chris Williams was slated to move again.

Chris Williams is not donkey.  He is the Flying Scotsman who was the original CD on the MG when Mike Pack was on sabbatical to be with his wife and their newborn.

I had read that he was going to return to the MG when Mike Pack started his new promotional position as fleet CD.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mondello said:

@jimbo5544 Have you spent any time in the Loft 19 area? I haven't really seen much mention of it in all the Mardi Gras posts.

We have not, yesterday  was crappy and we also have some travelers with us who cannot participate, so we will choose our time wisely.  

13 hours ago, BabyJacks17 said:

Just wanted to add my .02 as I was onboard this past week and spent a substantial amount of time in Loft 19.    I believe the most amount of people I ever saw up there at one time was *maybe* 10-12 people at most.  The very front overlooking the fwd part of cruise ship had at most only 4 of us up there - the other people stayed close to the shade and/or infinity pool.

When speaking to the Loft 19 attendants inquiring why it was so sparse it was their assumption that many people in the excel suites just didn't know it was a perk.   I only ever saw at most 2 cabanas being used on 2 different occasions otherwise they all sat empty.

@jimbo5544 if you do happen to make your way to Loft 19 can you please tell Jeffrey and/or Cristine that Jaclyn says hello? Their entire team consist of 6 Loft 19 employees were all exceptional and felt spoiled and well taken care of by them all the entire week.

I can and will.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BabyJacks17 said:

Absolutely!! On one of the last few days of the trip I was heading out and talking with one of the attendants when another passenger came up and asked if he could get a look around.  After touring the area he said "How much for one of the wrist bands?" and as soon as he heard $500 it was "Immediate pass"   I think about other cabanas like in Amber Cove that are over the water and come with their own amenities and those in itself are around $375 (?) for the day so I'd think Carnival should definitely consider aligning the price because I just don't see many people justifying that amount of money.  

However, I was also on a cruise that was only close to 70% capacity so maybe once at full capacity some people may succumb to the current prices for some peace.  

One other thing - with the capacity we had in mind - on sea days Serenity stayed absolutely full. 

Thanks for the info on loft 19. I have a question for you: For those of us not staying in a suite, if interested in renting a cabana, do we go to guest services once we board to see about availability, or do we go straight to the loft 19 area? I'm not seeing any information about it on the website or in my cruise planner, although I figured it wouldn't be in my planner since I have booked just a regular balcony stateroom. Thanks for any advice!