Live aboard the Mardi Gras

jimbo5544

15 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

And Muffulettas are delicious, the ones we've had in New Orleans anyway.  I need to try one on our next MG cruise. I thought the Natchitoches meat pies were pretty good. 

They were very good!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, surfjock27 said:

I’m glad they added beignets! They did not have them when we cruised in October. 

Did you try the meat pies? So good!

The meat pies were very good.  They brought the beignets as a dessert.  Very, very good.

• Like 1

Thank you for another great review and sharing your time aboard the Mardi Gras with us all!

What were final thoughts regarding the Excel Aft suite?  I was interested in knowing if you had more shade then sun on your balcony due to the overhang on deck 15.  Hope your next time aboard the Mardi Gras you'll get more time to enjoy Loft 19 but glad to hear the time you did have you enjoyed! 

On 1/29/2022 at 4:44 PM, Saint Greg said:

actually not empanadas or muffulettas. Natchitoches (nah-ca-dish) meat pies. Muffulettas are Italian sandwiches with an olive salad on them that were invented at central grocery in New Orleans.

Love Central Grocery

• Like 3

On 1/29/2022 at 3:04 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Before pulling out of Mahogany Bay, we had to wait for 6 pier runners which I did not capture.  Here we are leaving, the Pride was right behind us and began casting lines as we pulled out.   

F1E7CE9B-A7E8-405D-8AEA-80C9A4964409.jpeg

BB137262-0C8A-4C43-B1FC-46252F48FCF4.jpeg

Ah, I see myself in these pics! 

So, some comments on the last day.  The captain came on over the speaker mid afternoon and said due to significant weather even, we were planning on the deck to PC by 12:30 AM.  The weather even was gale force winds, and it did get windy.  During the night we could hear the deck chairs be moved around, fairly loudly.  We awoke at 5:30 and got ready to get off.  We had let them take our bags and the diamond letter said to be in the Punchliners club by 8.  They started early, and we went to go down there at 7:20  and found they were already released.  

Outside it was really cold and windy but we quickly got our bags and the shuttle back to the Raddison was there in 2 minutes.  We were in our cars and on the road by 8:10.  After a drop off in St pete, were home at 2pm.  

• Like 5

We flat out LOVE the Mardi Gras.  She is a wonderful ship and even with the big winds did a remarkable job in the water.  There is so much to do on this ship, we were frankly torn between lots of things regularly through out the cruise.   Carnival has been knocked for making classes of ships cookie cutters and basically the same ship but a little bigger.  It is clear that this is not true for Mardi Gras.    

There are more places to eat than you can shake a stick out.  It might be true to say that there are TOO many.  

We have sailed in about every class of balcony room that Carnival offers, including the Owners suite on Fantasy Class and Captains suite on Conquest class.  The Aft Excel corner suites is by a fairly large margin is our new fav.  There are many reasons for this, I will list some to demonstrate why.  There are individual temp controls in the living room, bedroom and even in the bathroom.  There are more drawers and cabinets than you can possibly fill.  Having two slider to get out on the deck make great sense.  The balconies are HUGE.  Two large screen tv’s 

These suites come with some perks.  Free soda package, free movies, free fruit delivered and a concierge for dining and the big kuhuna access to Loft 19.  

Loft 19 clearly has not found the sweet spot yet.  There was hardly anybody there,  Because we were traveling with others that could not go, we only go to use it two afternoons.  That will n ot happen again.

• Like 5

Carnival and Covid.  This has been our 5th cruise since the return to the sea.  From my vantage viewpoint, people are really getting used to masks and the interface that we must have to sail during these trying times.  Without getting up on my soapbox, Carnival gets it.  They are doing exactly what they need to in order to sail.  No more and no less.  They get it, and kudos to them for doing just that.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sunshower9 said:

Did you have any issues with noise while in your suite?  From the Bolt running or chairs being dragged overhead?

The only real issue from noise was on the last night when the gale force winds were knocking chairs and recliners all over the place.  You can feel the Bolt when it is running but it becomes like white noise.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 6:37 PM, BabyJacks17 said:

Thank you for another great review and sharing your time aboard the Mardi Gras with us all!

What were final thoughts regarding the Excel Aft suite?  I was interested in knowing if you had more shade then sun on your balcony due to the overhang on deck 15.  Hope your next time aboard the Mardi Gras you'll get more time to enjoy Loft 19 but glad to hear the time you did have you enjoyed! 

WAY more shade.  I would DEF do it again and DEF do floor 15 (if available). Best room we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in pretty much every type of balcony or suite room that Carnival offers.  BEST EVER

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Found a couple more pics.  This is of Elation as she sailed by us on embarkation day.  We will be on her (first time) in March.

E2357014-1AD6-4FA2-B5B9-D34078DFBB3D.jpeg

7F6F44A9-40D2-4CE4-B13D-0469CFE270BF.jpeg

840F247D-6952-474D-B17C-B91BAE2E44B5.jpeg

We love Fantasy class and just got off of her Monday morning. How you will ever be happy after Mardi Gras. I guess any day on a ship is better than any day not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canes20 said:

We love Fantasy class and just got off of her Monday morning. How you will ever be happy after Mardi Gras. I guess any day on a ship is better than any day not.

I was thinking the same thing after my MG cruise in October.  My Sunshine cruise in Jan 2022 didn't have all the bells and whistles but it was great to be cruising again.  And our Spa Suite was awesome!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I was thinking the same thing after my MG cruise in October.  My Sunshine cruise in Jan 2022 didn't have all the bells and whistles but it was great to be cruising again.  And our Spa Suite was awesome!

I agree.  MG was a unique experience.  We have been on so many cruises most everything seem routine.  The MG was like taking the first cruise all over again in some ways.

• Like 4

Jimbo, I am very late to this party, but I really enjoyed your trip report.  Your cabin and balcony were amazing!!  I liked all of your pictures.  The food looked so good.  I am glad that you had such a wonderful time, other than that crazy wind.  

We decided to take a cruise on the Mardi Gras on the 26th.  The cabins are inside, but only $19 each for deck 16.  What a deal to try out this ship!  We were going to wait until masks weren't required, but it's been nearly two years and we are ready to try this ship. Your trip report makes me feel good about taking the plunge back into cruising.

Thanks again for the wonderful trip report.  I appreciate you taking the time to post about your experience.  I've read something about Verifly being used on the Mardi Gras, so it will be interesting to see if this happens for my cruise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Jimbo, I am very late to this party, but I really enjoyed your trip report.  Your cabin and balcony were amazing!!  I liked all of your pictures.  The food looked so good.  I am glad that you had such a wonderful time, other than that crazy wind.  

We decided to take a cruise on the Mardi Gras on the 26th.  The cabins are inside, but only $19 each for deck 16.  What a deal to try out this ship!  We were going to wait until masks weren't required, but it's been nearly two years and we are ready to try this ship. Your trip report makes me feel good about taking the plunge back into cruising.

Thanks again for the wonderful trip report.  I appreciate you taking the time to post about your experience.  I've read something about Verifly being used on the Mardi Gras, so it will be interesting to see if this happens for my cruise.

Thanks for the kind words and enjoy your cruise.  We were prepared for veryfly but they told us no one was using it yet.  We did talk to a couple of people who said they did use.it.  

In regards to face masks, asmI mentioned, they seem MUCH more widely accepted than our earlier cruises.  I have fears that they will be around till at least 2023, but we will see (hope I am wrong).  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:42 PM, jimbo5544 said:

So, some comments on the last day.  The captain came on over the speaker mid afternoon and said due to significant weather even, we were planning on the deck to PC by 12:30 AM.  The weather even was gale force winds, and it did get windy.  During the night we could hear the deck chairs be moved around, fairly loudly.  We awoke at 5:30 and got ready to get off.  We had let them take our bags and the diamond letter said to be in the Punchliners club by 8.  They started early, and we went to go down there at 7:20  and found they were already released.  

Outside it was really cold and windy but we quickly got our bags and the shuttle back to the Raddison was there in 2 minutes.  We were in our cars and on the road by 8:10.  After a drop off in St pete, were home at 2pm.  

We're cruising in May and I'm trying to set up transportation to the airport. We are thinking of having them pick us up at 8:30. Can you give a suggestion on when we should leave the ship? We are diamond so we don't really have to wait for any luggage tags to be called (and we may just carry off our own luggage).

On 2/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Please try out Emeril's and Big Chicken. So yummy!!!

• Like 1