Roma Termini or Stazione di Roma San Pietro to Civitavecchia?

Tswoboda

We will be staying near the Pantheon for a few days before our October cruise.  The train looks like the best way to get to the port?  Please speak up if we should be taking a taxi or some other kind of transportation.  If a train is best - which station would you recommend?  Roma Termini or Stazione di Roma San Pietro?  

Civi was our port stop to visit Rome for the day, so we took advantage of the Civi express train which is geared to cruise pax. Your Pantheon location would be closer to San Pietro.( I think the train was 30-35 minutes from Civi to San Pietro).

If you take the train, there are more steps involved than you might think, so altho it was a fantastic option for a day-tripper, it might be difficult for the average cruiser with all their luggage.  ie on the return train we disembarked in Civi, then caught a city bus which took us to the port entrance, then caught the NCL shuttle which took us to the ship.  Plus you would need to take a bus or cab to whichever train station you choose.

If you can easily manage your luggage for those 4 transfers, the train was great, and very affordable, maybe $15.   Otherwise, find a shared ride or private ride service.

This port guide from Civi has lots of useful info:

Port of Civitavecchia: Cruise Passenger's Guide | Port Mobility Civitavecchia

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 2

Thank you so much mapleleaves!  We will definitely be getting a car service or shared ride to the port - my husband and I would be miserable trying to get luggage through all of the transfers needed to take a train - not a great way to start a trip we've been planning for 25 years!

• Like 1

It is also possible that if you decide to board the train at San Piertro, you may find yourself without a seat and have to stand all the way to Civitavecchia.

I also suggest a car service.  If you are looking for one, I recommend RomeCabs.com.  I have used them for many years and their prices are competitive and are very reliable.

Terri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have taken the train several times and it was nice and easy.  Just be very careful in the termini because there are always incidents of pick pocketing.  But, we travel light, so if you do have a lot of luggage may not be for you.  We loved it. 

14 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

It is also possible that if you decide to board the train at San Piertro, you may find yourself without a seat and have to stand all the way to Civitavecchia.

This is more of an issue with day-trippers who are all generally trying to get back to port around the same late-afternoon window. It is less of a problem for those headed to port for embarkation, who generally are headed to Civitavecchia a bit earlier in the day.

That said, I don't discount all of the other issues outlined with using the train with luggage, especially with all of the additional transfers needed upon reaching Civi.

1 hour ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Any guesses as to what taxi fare should cost from a centrally located hotel in Lazio, to a hotel near the port Civitavecchia?  We are heading out the day before our cruise so not on a tight schedule for getting there.  

Not sure about a cab fare, but if you are talking about Central Rome, a company called Rome Cabs, which I have used many times charges 130 Euros for the trip to Civitavecchia port.  May charge a bit less to a hotel. The website is www.romecabs.com.

I hope this helps.  It is a flat rate as opposed to a taxi with a meter.  If you get stuck in traffic that meter keeps running.  

Terri

1 hour ago, portofrome said:

Since last year there are elevators at the train station.

This is very interesting for many. The steps down and up to go thru the "sottopassaggio" have been a discouragement to many who might otherwise consider the train.

Do you have any published source?  (I am not doubting you!)

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is very interesting for many. The steps down and up to go thru the "sottopassaggio" have been a discouragement to many who might otherwise consider the train.

Do you have any published source?  (I am not doubting you!)

Sure but sorry it is in italian ( from lical news):

https://www.terzobinario.it/civitavecchia-finalmente-in-funzione-gli-ascensori-della-stazione/

On 1/28/2022 at 9:27 AM, Cruzin Terri said:

Not sure about a cab fare, but if you are talking about Central Rome, a company called Rome Cabs, which I have used many times charges 130 Euros for the trip to Civitavecchia port.  May charge a bit less to a hotel. The website is www.romecabs.com.

I hope this helps.  It is a flat rate as opposed to a taxi with a meter.  If you get stuck in traffic that meter keeps running.  

Terri

Thanks Terri, will keep them in mind.  I've been trying to find the cost of the typical cab fare as well, if it's in that ballpark it would definitely make sense to book a car.  

16 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Thanks Terri, will keep them in mind.  I've been trying to find the cost of the typical cab fare as well, if it's in that ballpark it would definitely make sense to book a car.  

The ride from Rome to Civitavecchia is approximately 1 to 11/2 hours.  A cab fare will be substantial. 

Terri

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Rome 2 rio can probably give a pretty good estimate of taxi costs,   We prefer Rome cabs as well.  
what town are you coming from?.  

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are booked on the cruise from 10 October to 19 November 2022. I wonder if you would share information with us about the apartment which you have booked in Rome?

We are still finalizing plans but might be interested in sharing transport from Rome to the cruise terminal if you are not already all filled up.

Thank you. 

On 1/28/2022 at 9:44 PM, euro cruiser said:

This is great news!  The article doesn't specify whether there are elevators to reach every platform, do you know if that is the case?  I've been in stations where some platforms had elevators but others did not, which is why I'm asking.

Video about elevator and platforms: