NEG TEST FOR CRUISE TIME LINE

susan1957

28 minutes ago, susan1957 said:

OK, so if my cruise is leaving on Saturday....I can have my test at home in Canada on Thurs....now does it have to be within the exact 48 hr period?

If your cruise is on Saturday, you can test at any time from Thursday morning at 12:00:01 AM on. 

2 hours ago, susan1957 said:

OK, so if my cruise is leaving on Saturday....I can have my test at home in Canada on Thurs....now does it have to be within the exact 48 hr period?

You need a test 24 hrs or less to go to US I believe. Things change so not 100% sure

Edited by #55worktoplay

So I actually just called royal about this.   My cruise is leaving on a Sunday.  I just picked a checkin time of 11am.  He told me on the phone I could have my test any time on Friday AFTER 11am.  But I also suspect someone else could tell me something different lol

12 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

So I actually just called royal about this.   My cruise is leaving on a Sunday.  I just picked a checkin time of 11am.  He told me on the phone I could have my test any time on Friday AFTER 11am.  But I also suspect someone else could tell me something different lol

The Royal employee would have been right once upon a time, but the changes from 72 hours to 3 days, and later from 3 days to 2 days were made months ago.

16 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

That is clearly different than the RCI website:

How to calculate which days to take your test:

Vaccinated guests: If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 2 days before, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday. You could also take it on Saturday morning if necessary — of course, we don't recommend waiting until the last minute.

Just now, Fouremco said:

The Royal employee would have been right once upon a time, but the changes from 72 hours to 3 days, and later from 3 days to 2 days were made months ago.

That's 48 hours.  I think the distinction is whether it is 2 days or 48 hours.  His indication is that it is 48 hours and NOT 2 days.  So you can't get it any time during Friday if you sail on a Sunday.  Checkin time may in fact matter so I would always take that into consideration to be safe.

1 minute ago, CKCruising said:

That is clearly different than the RCI website:

How to calculate which days to take your test:

Vaccinated guests: If you are setting sail on a Saturday, and you need to take the test no more than 2 days before, you can take your test on Thursday or Friday. You could also take it on Saturday morning if necessary — of course, we don't recommend waiting until the last minute.

Yes, my remark was to indicate there appears to be discrepancy so I would have for anyone to show up and get a check in agent that goes by 48 hours and you had your test too early.  I would also go with the 48 hours just to be safe, but that's me and I'm an anxious person.

We are getting our rapid test on Saturday morning just to be extra safe lol.  Results at Shoppers guaranteed before you leave.

3 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

Yes, my remark was to indicate there appears to be discrepancy so I would have for anyone to show up and get a check in agent that goes by 48 hours and you had your test too early.  I would also go with the 48 hours just to be safe, but that's me and I'm an anxious person.

We are getting our rapid test on Saturday morning just to be extra safe lol.  Results at Shoppers guaranteed before you leave.

Have you heard any stories of someone not being allowed to board due to a test more than 48 hours (but on the 2nd day)?  Their website is clear.  There is nothing on the RCI board, which would blow up if they denied someone boarding for this reason.

Personally, we did our tests at 9:30am on Friday, Flew on Saturday (noon flight) and boarded the ship on Sunday (with a boarding time at 10:00 or 10:30).  There were no issues.

Do what ever you need to make yourself feel more comfortable, there are already enough extra stresses vacationing now a days.

1 minute ago, CKCruising said:

Have you heard any stories of someone not being allowed to board due to a test more than 48 hours (but on the 2nd day)?  Their website is clear.  There is nothing on the RCI board, which would blow up if they denied someone boarding for this reason.

Personally, we did our tests at 9:30am on Friday, Flew on Saturday (noon flight) and boarded the ship on Sunday (with a boarding time at 10:00 or 10:30).  There were no issues.

Do what ever you need to make yourself feel more comfortable, there are already enough extra stresses vacationing now a days.

I have not but AGAIN, I'm just stating what I heard from an employee on the phone this morning.  More information is always better that not enough.  I'm sure most people would be fine testing any time 2 days before but as we all know with Royal it seems every employee interprets the rules differently.

But I guess I should have kept my mouth shut instead of trying to be helpful.

43 minutes ago, MaddyandMax said:

That's 48 hours.  I think the distinction is whether it is 2 days or 48 hours.  His indication is that it is 48 hours and NOT 2 days.  So you can't get it any time during Friday if you sail on a Sunday.  Checkin time may in fact matter so I would always take that into consideration to be safe.

He's wrong. The cruise industry switched away from hours to days to avoid complications. For example, if a passenger was scheduled to board at 11:30 AM on Saturday, and had his test 48 hours before, at 11:30 AM on Thursday, what would happen if there was a major traffic jam and the passenger didn't make it to the port until 12:30 AM? Would he or she be refused boarding because their test was 49 hours ago? 

Edited by Fouremco

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

According to the current Royal Carribean FAQ, the agent gave you incorrect guidance. See https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

AGAIN, not saying the agent is correct.  Just stating what was said to me from a Royal agent today.

It's possible the agents have been appraised of a change before the website. Who knows...  Either way I put it out there so everyone would know what other sources from Royal are saying, not just the website.

All information should be welcome, even if it may end up being incorrect.  It came directly from two Royal representatives I spoke to today at the Set Sail Centre and should be noted.  It very could be another change that's coming.  We just don't know as things are constantly changing.

But that's it from me now.  I come to the Canadian site for all the great information and to hear what everyone is hearing from Royal.  I always appreciate all the information I receive from here.  We are all trying to make the right decisions on how to proceed and make sure we are all safe and following the ever-changing rules.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, susan1957 said:

Yes. The language depends on your cruise line.  NCL is 96 hours prior, until March 1 when it goes to 48 hours. Then there’s the pre flight test to take into account. I would recommend you call your cruise line and ask them, and don’t forget to get the name of the person who is advising you. 

The OP is sailing with Carnival, in which case it is two days prior to the sailing date

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests, ages 2 and older, to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. On certain sailings, guests should be prepared for the possibility of an additional COVID test prior to boarding, which will be provided in the terminal on a complimentary basis. 

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

Yes. The language depends on your cruise line.  NCL is 96 hours prior, until March 1 when it goes to 48 hours. Then there’s the pre flight test to take into account. I would recommend you call your cruise line and ask them, and don’t forget to get the name of the person who is advising you. 

Again, to ensure there's no unnecessary confusion over hours versus days, on March 1 NCL will switch to 2 days, not to 48 hours:

For cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022: At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. 

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

As of March 1 the preboarding test goes to two days, not 48 hours. See https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/do-i-need-take-covid-19-test-prior-arrival-terminal There is a difference, see the table in the link.

22 hours ago, broberts said:

As of March 1 the preboarding test goes to two days, not 48 hours. See https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/do-i-need-take-covid-19-test-prior-arrival-terminal There is a difference, see the table in the link.

Yes. Thank you. I read the new chart as 2 days before sail date = the 48 hours before sail date. Thats a softer way, thought the reduction from 72 and 96 hours can affect time for test results and lay over for travel from Canada to cruises in Europe and even to Florida when trying to avoid snowstorms along the eastern seaboard. Did you happen to notice, added to the March 1 change, that the organizations for testing in the US are now specifically named?  A link is provided for other countries, including Canada and isn’t as specific. That 99.00 charge preboarding is enough to ask questions about what’s accepted if anyones sailing March 1 or later. 

22 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The OP is sailing with Carnival, in which case it is two days prior to the sailing date

The CDC requires pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests, ages 2 and older, to be taken within two days prior to the sailing date. If the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken on Thursday and Friday, and as late as Saturday, if you are guaranteed to receive your results in time for check-in. On certain sailings, guests should be prepared for the possibility of an additional COVID test prior to boarding, which will be provided in the terminal on a complimentary basis. 

Again, to ensure there's no unnecessary confusion over hours versus days, on March 1 NCL will switch to 2 days, not to 48 hours:

For cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022: At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. 

Just in case, the NCL info quoted above; “For cruises with….”, also provides a further paragraph with reference and separate link to testing sites around the world for those travelling to the port from other countries. Kinda goes back to my earlier question about the type of testing, and from which organization, that’s accepted by NCL from Canada. 
The beat goes on!  Staying in today …. it’s getting pretty busy on the highways 😶

OK,....this is WAY too confusing for me....My flight leaves Toronto for Fort Myers on the Thurs....at 8:30 a.m.   I will have to get a test on Wed....then I will have to get a test for the cruise on Friday again....ugh...I am spending 2 days before the cruise in Ft. Myers and then driving to the port Saturday morning......

Edited by susan1957

Might be cutting it close, but I believe you can get antigen test at Pearson on Thursday pre flight that would cover you across the board.  Antigen testing facility offsite at one of the parking garages and was opening at 5:00 a.m.  Testing Thursday a.m. gets you into States on 24 hour clock, and if cruise line requirements is 48 hrs or more your good too.  Depends if you can get testing, results, and checked in within your 8:30 flight requirements.  Snoop around some more on Pearson testing on their web page. 

Edited by ALD18