Mobility issue - excursion advice

SpiritRiver

We are booked on the Mediterranean Odyssey cruise in early May, and my husband is concerned that his increased mobility issues - no need for a wheelchair, walker, etc. - will cause real problems when it comes to excursions.  I’m hopeful that Viking will allow non-Viking excursions by then so that we can hire private car tours if needed; otherwise, advice from anyone who has dealt with this issue would be appreciated.  Also, if anyone has done the Lake Como extension, talk to me about that in this regard.  Thanks so much as we need to get a 360-degree view of the trip.  This issue, along with lingering concerns over Covid, is making us think twice about going.

Never did your itinerary so cannot speak to the dificulty of excursions.  But consider getting a pair of collapsible trekking poles.  I have had a number of joint, lower back and balance issues and have used them for years.  They are great for stairs with no hand rails, cobblestones and uneven walking surfaces and forested trails.  Many poles come with interchangable feet - a cane like rubber foot, a spike and a big multi pointed rubber foot which i like the best for stability.

I just got off Med Antiquities a few months ago and am mobility impaired.  The Med was a difficult part of the cruise for me (we went from Athens to Santiago Chile) as it is a port every day, no sea days to recover.  I’m not in a wheelchair, nor do I use a cane under normal conditions, but for this cruise I brought collapsible trekking poles and used them.

There were a few ‘demanding’ excursions I went on and they were a lot of difficult walking (steep hills, cobblestones, distances).  Someone had a Fitbit on one and at the end of it we had done 12,000 steps.  I tried to keep these to places I really wanted to see, otherwise I scheduled easy or moderate.

I did the Iconic Med Cruise in Nov 2021.  Not sure if some of the ports are the same as yours.  I will say that if anyone has even minor mobility issues, be prepared to have a difficult time keeping up. JMHO

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

I did the Iconic Med Cruise in Nov 2021.  Not sure if some of the ports are the same as yours.  I will say that if anyone has even minor mobility issues, be prepared to have a difficult time keeping up. JMHO

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I just got off Med Antiquities a few months ago and am mobility impaired.  The Med was a difficult part of the cruise for me (we went from Athens to Santiago Chile) as it is a port every day, no sea days to recover.  I’m not in a wheelchair, nor do I use a cane under normal conditions, but for this cruise I brought collapsible trekking poles and used them.

There were a few ‘demanding’ excursions I went on and they were a lot of difficult walking (steep hills, cobblestones, distances).  Someone had a Fitbit on one and at the end of it we had done 12,000 steps.  I tried to keep these to places I really wanted to see, otherwise I scheduled easy or moderate.

2 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Thanks, folks!  Since my original post I have researched sample excursions on our itinerary and there are several that my husband should be able to enjoy without too much trouble, assuming the 2022 excursions are somewhat the same offerings.  Trekking poles will be a must!  Now to watch the Covid numbers through the next four months to determine how comfortable we are with resuming overseas travel.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there were a few people on all our Iconic Med cruise excursions that had a difficult time with all the cobblestone streets, hills, and steps. Some of them complained.  I was surprised that some people weren't aware how exhausting these excursions can be. 

DH and I have no mobility problems and we were falling asleep at dinner!  LOL

• Like 1

We were onboard for 3 weeks recently, visiting some of the same ports which you are considering.  We currently have no mobility problems, and only took the included tours.  On some of them the mobility of group members was very mixed - which is irritating if you want to stride out, and equally irritating if you can't keep up!  I did wonder why Viking didn't have one included tour for those who preferred to go at a slower pace.

• Like 2