Can the dividers between cabins be opened?

sfcsu

We have three aft Concierge cabins next to each other booked on Reflection February 26.  Can the dividers be opened so we have essentially one large balcony for the three cabins?    The three couples often travel together and we figured that if any of us were uncomfortable on deck during sea days or the evening, we could have our own space and just order room service.

1 hour ago, sfcsu said:

We have three aft Concierge cabins next to each other booked on Reflection February 26.  Can the dividers be opened so we have essentially one large balcony for the three cabins?    The three couples often travel together and we figured that if any of us were uncomfortable on deck during sea days or the evening, we could have our own space and just order room service.

Just bring a screwdriver.  Just kidding.  Ask your cabin attendant once onboard to see if it is allowed for those cabins.   

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 2:07 PM, TeeRick said:

Just bring a screwdriver.  Just kidding.  Ask your cabin attendant once onboard to see if it is allowed for those cabins.   

LOL!  I set up booths at convention centers for part of my work.  I have a small tool kit in every purse I own.  When we travel I have to empty out my bag before we leave to make sure I don't have anything sharp or not allowed on airplanes.   With a normal bag, I could probably do it.   I suppose it's best if I ask the stewards! 🙂

• Haha 1

We had friends with 3-5 balconies opened.  The problem arises when you want some privacy.  If you want to have the curtains opened all the time to allow sunlight into the cabin, getting dressed is an issue with folks walking back & forth from balcony to balcony.  We don't do that anymore for obvious reasons.  It's nice for evening happy hours between cabins, but it doesn't work the rest of the day.

10 hours ago, ijscheer said:

The aft-facing deck 11 cabins can definitely be opened.  Done it many times. Don't know about other cabins.

Yes, those are the newly installed A1 staterooms on the M-Class.  The question was the Sweet 16 stateroom balconies on Deck 6.  

15 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

No, they cannot.  None of the balconies on the M-Class ships are designed to open.

Yes some of the M class ships the dividers do open. When X refurb M class ships and added AquaClass on Deck 11. The dividers do open. See photos of Summit cabins 1114/1116. If this is a must  then move to deck 11. Side cabins have very little overhang.

IMG_20150811_140934572.thumb.jpg.ef8f30206acfef4e3aa7e4a5bab428a2.jpg 

IMG_20150811_140954960_HDR.thumb.jpg.68a51150775deab77aad70ffaf901a49.jpgIMG_20150811_140915050_HDR.thumb.jpg.f72cebedca37f2b4549df4e4da7ac1a0.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added info

If the ship was built before 2006, then the dividers generally cannot open.  The requirement to be able to open, for firefighting, was added after the Star Princess fire in 2006.  Also, any cabins added to a ship after 2006 would have to open.  Some dividers, between cabins in different fire zones (on either side of a fire door in the passageway) may be opened, but are not allowed to for passengers.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If the ship was built before 2006, then the dividers generally cannot open.  The requirement to be able to open, for firefighting, was added after the Star Princess fire in 2006.  Also, any cabins added to a ship after 2006 would have to open.  Some dividers, between cabins in different fire zones (on either side of a fire door in the passageway) may be opened, but are not allowed to for passengers.

Well, as a passenger who has passed through these balcony openings on M class ships, I assure you that passengers can indeed use them.  The dividers between 6143, 6145, and 6147 can be partially opened and passengers can pass through the openings.  Same on the other side of the ship.  6144, 6146, and 6148.

10 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, as a passenger who has passed through these balcony openings on M class ships, I assure you that passengers can indeed use them.  The dividers between 6143, 6145, and 6147 can be partially opened and passengers can pass through the openings.  Same on the other side of the ship.  6144, 6146, and 6148.

Yeah, I just knew you would bring up those "suite" ones.  Good one for you.  I think the OP is talking about "regular" stateroom balconies like all the ones on the S-Class.