Distilled water for CPAP

landlockedTexan

As a new CPAP user, I have tried to find the answer to my question of where to get the distilled water for my machine.  Do i need to fill out the accessibility form to get the water delivered to my room?  Or do I need to carry-on my own water or will that be confiscated?  Or do you leave your unit at home for a 7-day cruise?

1 hour ago, landlockedTexan said:

Or do you leave your unit at home for a 7-day cruise?

As a new user this complication is likely not essential. Can't you just pop an evening antihistamine to clear airways a bit for this one week? I bet the rest of the world thrives without burdensome crutches like this, and I would try putting it aside at least one week a year anyway to see if no longer needed.

• Like 1

I won't try to give you medical advice, but here are some tips for cruising with your CPAP.  If push comes to shove, you can use the ship's tap water in your unit, after only 7 days, you may not have any problems at all, but you may see scale buildup, which will require descaling as per the unit's instructions (typically vinegar).  The only caveat to using the tap water is that there is residual chlorine in the water.  So, fill the reservoir in the morning, or fill a pitcher with water.  Let this sit for a few hours, and the chlorine will have dissipated by then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, norway olin said:

A. Take the CPAP

B. Do not lug distilled water with you

C. Use the accessibility form.

D.  If it is not in your room when you arrive just request from the room steward.

E.  Bring extension cord

Exactly this.  I completed the accessibility form.  Was advised to bring a non-grounded extension cord, not a three-pronged power strip.  You almost certainly will need that, as beds can be far from the outlets.

When I got to my room, no water.  I asked my steward and he dropped it off with at the turndown service.  Easy peasy.

• Like 2

My suggestion is to bring your CPAP. You will sleep better. Most of the machines come with a nice carry case that does not count as  your carry on for flights. NCL will provide distilled water by accessibility form or your room Stewart. Last time they provided extension cord but I brought one just in case.

• Like 3

I always call my NCL PCC a couple of weeks in advance, make the request, and he takes care of it. The gallon of water has always been our room when we get there. If you do not have a PCC then yes you will need to submit the special needs request form.  

For certain the extension cord as others have mentioned. 

Enjoy your trip.

I am happy to hear you are bringing your CPAP machine.  It is so important to get in the habit of using it, even while on vacation, and not something you can take a vacation from.

Edited by Thain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, landlockedTexan said:

As a new CPAP user, I have tried to find the answer to my question of where to get the distilled water for my machine.  Do i need to fill out the accessibility form to get the water delivered to my room?  Or do I need to carry-on my own water or will that be confiscated?  Or do you leave your unit at home for a 7-day cruise?

they will provide it, let them know in advance

At least 15 ft extension cord - simple one. Leave it in your CPAP bag. Also buy a few different plug adapters (UK, European, Australia, etc) and leave them in bag. 

Your CPAP machine should have 100-240v input which means you can use it anywhere in world as long as you have the correct plug adapter. Check your machine. 

I have CPAP that doesn’t use distilled water - I live in Bermuda with high humidity. 

Does your CPAP have toggle switch that you use the water or not? Just curious. You’ll be on water and the humidity will be higher. 

Edited by bluesea777

20 hours ago, norway olin said:

A. Take the CPAP

B. Do not lug distilled water with you

C. Use the accessibility form.

D.  If it is not in your room when you arrive just request from the room steward.

E.  Bring extension cord

^^^^^This^^^^^^🙂

20 hours ago, dumbth said:

As a new user this complication is likely not essential. Can't you just pop an evening antihistamine to clear airways a bit for this one week? I bet the rest of the world thrives without burdensome crutches like this, and I would try putting it aside at least one week a year anyway to see if no longer needed.

Are you seriously telling someone they do not need their medical device? Who TF are you to decide it is a “crutch”? Antihistamine does nothing to mitigate sleep apnea. You need to find something more productive to do with your time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

I have submitted the accessibility form and received an answer that the water will be on board.  They did advise me to bring the extension cord as previously advised by the great CC fans.  I was surprised to receive an answer so quickly.  Just 10 days to go, so excited after 6 cancelled cruises over the last 2 years.

3 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

Are you seriously telling someone they do not need their medical device? Who TF are you to decide it is a “crutch”? Antihistamine does nothing to mitigate sleep apnea. You need to find something more productive to do with your time.

That’s as bad as being told to just use the tap water in a medical device despite the manufacturers instructions   

• Like 1

Don’t shoot me but “bring an extension cord” is bad advise for a competitor (Royal Caribbean). Security gets rabid in their search for cords; worse than NCL’s booze hounds.

To save Chief a post, never bring a surge protector power strip.

Edited by CPT Trips

On 1/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, dumbth said:

So this is absolutely the worst advice and should not even be considered. If an antihistamine could cure sleep apnea, then there would be no use for a CPAP. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So this is absolutely the worst advice and should not even be considered. If an antihistamine could cure sleep apnea, then there would be no use for a CPAP. 

Precisely... my husband has been using one for years and it has changed his life dramatically for the better.  He would never consider traveling without it and every cruise line we've been on has been able to get him some distilled water without issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, summer563 said:

Thank you for asking the question and everyone's responses. We haven't been on a cruise since my husband has gotten his cpap machine, and I didn't even think about having distilled water available for his machine.

And it depends on how your husband uses his CPAP. If he humidifies all the time, then water is readily available. For me, humidification is optional and I have an adaptor that plugs in, in place of the water chamber. On NCL, you can bring along a couple of light weight extension cords (I carry a 12' and 6' cord) that would work for most NCL ships. (We actually had a suite on a small ship where 18' wasn't long enough and had to get an additional cord from the ship). 

Yes, the cords are a trip hazard at night.

No, I don't tape it down,,, that's just a mess. I just roll it up as soon as I wake up in the morning. 

4 hours ago, summer563 said:

Thank you for asking the question and everyone's responses. We haven't been on a cruise since my husband has gotten his cpap machine, and I didn't even think about having distilled water available for his machine.

Also if you are flying, you can get  a tag sent to you ( or even possibly from your Cpap distributor)  stating it is a medical device so it is never considered carry on.  We did it.  https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/210396/PDF_Files/medicalequipmenttags.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1