Distilled water for CPAP

landlockedTexan

15 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Don’t shoot me but “bring an extension cord” is bad advise for a competitor (Royal Caribbean). Security gets rabid in their search for cords; worse than NCL’s booze hounds.

To save Chief a post, never bring a surge protector power strip.

So true.

As I said, simple one like this:

image.png.089391b8a95a8f6d7b2b6f61160aaceb.png

NO power strips, NO 3 prong, NO surge protectors.

2 minutes ago, norway olin said:

The ships that have allowed my personal electrical cord on board never seemed concerned about three prongs.

Quite right.  Not sure where this info came from.  Grounding is not a problem on ships, there is a ground, the 120v outlets have the standard ground pin, and the 220v outlets have ground tangs on the perimeter of the round outlet recess.  Power strips are okay on most lines (though I think RCI says no extension cords at all), it is only surge protectors that are a danger.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 1/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, dumbth said:

As a new user this complication is likely not essential. Can't you just pop an evening antihistamine to clear airways a bit for this one week? I bet the rest of the world thrives without burdensome crutches like this, and I would try putting it aside at least one week a year anyway to see if no longer needed.

As someone who actually works in medicine I find this statement both ignorant and infuriating.  Do you know what the risks of untreated sleep apnea are? Hypoxia can lead to deadly arrhythmia and heart failure. Its a matter of the throat being blocked and not the nasal passages so an antihistamines is laughable. And other than fatigue most people don't have symptoms until the damage is done..so a trial to see if one still needs positive airway pressure is equally moronic. I'm not sure exactly what your day job is, but maybe you should stick to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Old thread but I wanted to add my comment. I have cruised a dozen times with my CPAP on NCL and HAL. In its case I include a grounded 15 ft. extension cord with a three outlet tap since my wife uses a CPAP too, and power by the bed is often lacking. I have never had the cord questioned. I've requested distilled water before the cruise, on NCL using the accessibility form. As someone noted earlier, about half the time the water is in cabin on embarkation, the other half I ask room steward and it shows up later.  Usually left a gallon, though on one Mediterranean itinerary they gave us a five liter bottle. Since we use a fraction of that, I drink the rest over the course of the cruise. Sure it's tasteless but hey it's H2O and would likely be discarded afterward. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, ofbp Walt said:

Has any of the nay-sayers about bringing a CPAP device considered the SPOUSE's point of view? My snoring is loud enough to attract whales without my device....

Hah? You jump on a very old, long dead and forgotten thread to say what?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Hah? You jump on a very old, long dead and forgotten thread to say what?

and so YOU jumped into this old, long dead and forgotten thread to  point it out??

Edited by ofbp Walt

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, dumbth said:

As a new user this complication is likely not essential. Can't you just pop an evening antihistamine to clear airways a bit for this one week? I bet the rest of the world thrives without burdensome crutches like this, and I would try putting it aside at least one week a year anyway to see if no longer needed.

You obviously don't know what a cpap machine does. I have traveled without mine and have been unable to sleep so always take mine now. An antihistamine would do nothing, they are not for sleep apnea.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, dumbth said:

If you have been prescribed a CPAP, it is important to use it every night and also during the day if you nap. It is not a complication but a potential life-saving method. As far as the rest of the world thriving without using this "burdensome crutch", I don't think so.

• Like 2