SAN JUAN ON YOUR OWN WITH AIRPORT DROP-OFF ???

Ptroxx

Has anyone done this excursion after PR cruise.    Trying to figure out what to do till 4pm flight.  
do you know what time they take you to the airport ?   Says 2 times available.  

already posted on ports section.  But no answered there.    

69CB2195-DEFA-484E-994C-3226FFD49DDC.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Has anyone done this excursion after PR cruise.    Trying to figure out what to do till 4pm flight.  
do you know what time they take you to the airport ?   Says 2 times available.  

already posted on ports section.  But no answered there.    

69CB2195-DEFA-484E-994C-3226FFD49DDC.jpeg

Never do that.  Take a cab to Barrachina (sp?), a restaurant in the old section of town.  They let you check your luggage for free. Sometimes we've eaten lunch there but not required.   When we're ready to head to the airport we collect our luggage, walk to corner,  grab a taxi and off we go.  You might to also look on the San Juan board.

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Never do that.  Take a cab to Barrachina (sp?), a restaurant in the old section of town.  They let you check your luggage for free. Sometimes we've eaten lunch there but not required.   When we're ready to head to the airport we collect our luggage, walk to corner,  grab a taxi and off we go.  You might to also look on the San Juan board.

Can you explain why to never do that ?     Thanks 

Just now, Ptroxx said:

Can you explain why to never do that ?     Thanks 

No reason except want to decide where and when to go.  I would check cost.  Usually Royal's fee is per person and higher than 2 cabs.  Should explain also my "never" refers to San Juan only as we have used Royal's transfer once going from Harwich,  England to Heathrow Airport.   In San Juan may have shared a taxi with another couple.  Usually dropping off luggage by 9 am so have lots of time to enjoy old San Juan.

I did this excursion pre-Covid. You put your suitcases on a truck and you get on a bus. They drop you off in Old San Juan. You are completely on your own to do what you want - no tour guide or anything. They offer two pickup times and you choose the one that works best for you to get to the airport on time. I believe it was noon and 1:00 PM. Maybe 1:00 and 2:00 PM. You meet the bus at the agreed spot at the agreed time.

We spent our time touring the forts, having lunch, and visiting several shops. It was a nice day. Then they took us to the airport and our suitcases were waiting for us, under supervision of a tour operator employee. 

I recommend this excursion. It's a great way to see Old San Juan and not have to worry about your suitcases. 

The person who says never to do it is saying that because there is (was?) a restaurant in Old San Juan that would hold your suitcases for you. But you have to transport your suitcases to the restaurant and then transport them to the airport. I found this excursion to be more convenient. You just get off the ship, throw your suitcases in the truck, and catch up with them at the airport later. 

28 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

No reason except want to decide where and when to go.  I would check cost.  Usually Royal's fee is per person and higher than 2 cabs.  Should explain also my "never" refers to San Juan only as we have used Royal's transfer once going from Harwich,  England to Heathrow Airport.   In San Juan may have shared a taxi with another couple.  Usually dropping off luggage by 9 am so have lots of time to enjoy old San Juan.

Guess you didn’t see the picture with the cost.   So no real experience.   
thank you anyway.    
personally I wouldn’t trust my luggage in a random hotel. I’d rather use a Royal Caribbean approved shuttle service.  

1 minute ago, Ptroxx said:

Guess you didn’t see the picture with the cost.   So no real experience.   
thank you anyway.    
personally I wouldn’t trust my luggage in a random hotel. I’d rather use a Royal Caribbean approved shuttle service.  

Your choice. Not a random hotel, a well known restaurant used by many of us.  Liked having my own schedule.    Did see the price and still believe my way is less.  But again it's your choice.  

5 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I did this excursion pre-Covid. You put your suitcases on a truck and you get on a bus. They drop you off in Old San Juan. You are completely on your own to do what you want - no tour guide or anything. They offer two pickup times and you choose the one that works best for you to get to the airport on time. I believe it was noon and 1:00 PM. Maybe 1:00 and 2:00 PM. You meet the bus at the agreed spot at the agreed time.

We spent our time touring the forts, having lunch, and visiting several shops. It was a nice day. Then they took us to the airport and our suitcases were waiting for us, under supervision of a tour operator employee. 

I recommend this excursion. It's a great way to see Old San Juan and not have to worry about your suitcases. 

The person who says never to do it is saying that because there is (was?) a restaurant in Old San Juan that would hold your suitcases for you. But you have to transport your suitcases to the restaurant and then transport them to the airport. I found this excursion to be more convenient. You just get off the ship, throw your suitcases in the truck, and catch up with them at the airport later. 

This is the exact info I’m looking for.  
someone that’s actually used the service.    
last thing  want to do is schlep my luggage to a random hotel and back to a Uber.     

this sounds perfect.   I also want to walk around the fort again and walk the streets of old San Juan.  And maybe grab some lunch before heading g to the airport.    My flights at 420pm. So either time should work ok.  

thank you.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Your choice. Not a random hotel, a well known restaurant used by many of us.  Liked having my own schedule.    Did see the price and still believe my way is less.  But again it's your choice.  

Correct.   My choice. And I know there’s hotels that do this in OSJ

Worth the 29.00 for a shuttle to and from the airport.  
taxi is 20.00 each way.  Uber is 11-15 each way.  And now I have to schlep my luggage around.    
this way no schlepping. And have my own schedule. 

But thank you.   Appreciate it. 

Edited by Ptroxx

Another option is day pass at the Marriott.  We did this one time as we had a really late flight out of sju.  They held our bags for us at the front.  There were showers to clean off.  This was after a TA in November so a beach and a pool were really nice.  This was also pre covid.

We did have to pay for the transfer to hotel and then to SJU but we didn't mind as we really needed that beach day.  But the airport transfer with on your own sounds nice especially if they take your suitcases.  I just did something similar to this in Barbados with a Carlisle bay beach break.  Only thing I didn't like was the bags were taken to the airport and just left there in the open with no one watching them or checking when we took our bags.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Another option is day pass at the Marriott.  We did this one time as we had a really late flight out of sju.  They held our bags for us at the front.  There were showers to clean off.  This was after a TA in November so a beach and a pool were really nice.  This was also pre covid.

Thank you for the idea.   But I want to walk around old San Juan forts I and grab either breakfast or lunch in a local spot.  
not a big beach person.  Rather check out some OSJ history.  
I’ll have atleast 5 ports with sun and beaches. Lololol.  

thanks again.   I think my friends are actually gonna do the Marriott.    Lol 

3 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Thank you for the idea.   But I want to walk around old San Juan forts I and grab either breakfast or lunch in a local spot.  
not a big beach person.  Rather check out some OSJ history.  
I’ll have atleast 5 ports with sun and beaches. Lololol.  

thanks again.   I think my friends are actually gonna do the Marriott.    Lol 

understand.  We have actually used the Barrachina hotel for our luggage and went to the forts one time.  We love leaving out of and disembarking in San Juan.  It is a PIA with the suitcases though.  The hotel is a pretty good option though.  I think we did it post hurricane devastation when so much was a mess and we were shocked they were open.

We did this option. San Juan has cobblestone streets and rough sidewalks. I wouldn't want to bother with the worry of my suitcase! When you leave the ship, the excursion had a truck with Delta airlines on the side to haul the luggage. We didn't fly home on Delta but it didn't matter. Our luggage was waiting with a Royal Caribbean employee with a sign . Showed our tickets for excursion and picked up our luggage to check in at the appropriate airlines. We walked around San Juan and went to the fort even. (Not inside) It's uphill going and downhill to meet the bus. Enjoyed our day and would do it again in another city if we had a late flight out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

understand.  We have actually used the Barrachina hotel for our luggage and went to the forts one time.  We love leaving out of and disembarking in San Juan.  It is a PIA with the suitcases though.  The hotel is a pretty good option though.  I think we did it post hurricane devastation when so much was a mess and we were shocked they were open.

True.  But you still have to pay transportation to OSJ and then to the airport. And you have to move your luggage around a few times.  
think I like the connivence of not having to deal with my luggage a few different time.   My flights at 4:15 so it will be nice to walk around a few hours  then hop on a shuttle to the airport for 30.00 using a RCL excursion.  

thank you for the helpful info though.   

8 minutes ago, mailmama said:

We did this option. San Juan has cobblestone streets and rough sidewalks. I wouldn't want to bother with the worry of my suitcase! When you leave the ship, the excursion had a truck with Delta airlines on the side to haul the luggage. We didn't fly home on Delta but it didn't matter. Our luggage was waiting with a Royal Caribbean employee with a sign . Showed our tickets for excursion and picked up our luggage to check in at the appropriate airlines. We walked around San Juan and went to the fort even. (Not inside) It's uphill going and downhill to meet the bus. Enjoyed our day and would do it again in another city if we had a late flight out. 

Do you by chance remember what the shuttle times were for pickup in the afternoon???  I know in the morning is like 830am.  

I have a national parks pass so I want to walk around the fort some more .  
was there 2 years ago a week before everything shut down and really enjoyed it.  
Ill grab some breakfast or some lunch too while walking around the city some.   

seen a bunch of iguanas while walking the fortes so that’ll be fun. 

thanks for the info. 

0084771A-5EFC-492D-B266-77549A8CC54B.jpeg

43069890-0EA1-4F4A-B9E4-A51CC12929EB.jpeg

• Like 1

Hubby, who the keeper of time, thought it was 2pm. We had a 6:50 flight out so had plenty of time for coffee at the airport after checking our luggage in and going through security. (which had a long line as per usual every time we use SJU airport) It's actually quite a relaxing way to end your trip as you are not worried about traffic in the city on this bus. It's plenty early for a 6 pm flight. It was about a 30 minute traffic wise bus trip I think. We got to airport luggage area about 2:30 . From there to security was no more than 15 minutes. Now security was at least 30 minutes, maybe little more.....

4 minutes ago, mailmama said:

Hubby, who the keeper of time, thought it was 2pm. We had a 6:50 flight out so had plenty of time for coffee at the airport after checking our luggage in and going through security. (which had a long line as per usual every time we use SJU airport) It's actually quite a relaxing way to end your trip as you are not worried about traffic in the city on this bus. It's plenty early for a 6 pm flight. It was about a 30 minute traffic wise bus trip I think. We got to airport luggage area about 2:30 . From there to security was no more than 15 minutes. Now security was at least 30 minutes, maybe little more.....

Thank you. This is all very helpful.   

24 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Flights at 430pm.   Not sitting in an airport for 8 hrs when I can walk around OSJ for a while for 30.00. With transportation to and from.   
5 hours walking around and enjoying OSJ rather than sitting in the airport sounds great to me.  And I’ll be in my own bed by 10pm.  
don’t have to worry about luggage as it will be in the shuttle bus.  And they pick you up early enough to make your flights.   

Are you a single?  The reason I ask is because you keep mentioning a $30 cost.  It's $30/pp. So if you're a couple It's $60. Also, confirm that your luggage will be checked through to your flight when you give it to them.

Not sure if they changed the protocols but when we did this, the luggage was waiting for us at the airport already at the curb when we got to the airport from the bus.  We had very distinguish tags and “distraction” on the handle so that someone don’t accidentally take the luggage by mistake.  We also locked it.  So take that into consideration.  There was a lady there looking after the luggage but she was not checking ID or anything you get off the bus you roll the luggage away.  We were on the later flight so there were only about 15 pieces left not the most secure way but that’s how they did it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Are you a single?  The reason I ask is because you keep mentioning a $30 cost.  It's $30/pp. So if you're a couple It's $60. Also, confirm that your luggage will be checked through to your flight when you give it to them.

I am a single.    But you still have to pay for 2 taxi rides. And you check your own bags.  So even if I was a couple it’s still worth the 60.00 to know I have a safe ride to and from OSJ and the airport.  

21 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

Not sure if they changed the protocols but when we did this, the luggage was waiting for us at the airport already at the curb when we got to the airport from the bus.  We had very distinguish tags and “distraction” on the handle so that someone don’t accidentally take the luggage by mistake.  We also locked it.  So take that into consideration.  There was a lady there looking after the luggage but she was not checking ID or anything you get off the bus you roll the luggage away.  We were on the later flight so there were only about 15 pieces left not the most secure way but that’s how they did it.

Similar to how it worked for us a few years ago.  I wasn't thrilled that the luggage was just in a large group at the curb, not hard for it to be picked up by someone else.  San Juan had two check points, I think the first was for agriculture and the second to get it on the plane.  There was pretty much nothing to do at the airport other than a very good duty free shop.

4 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I agree.  Being in Old Town SJ is the location most would want, unless you want to go to the beach.  Take the trolley around:

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/

10 minutes ago, pcur said:

I agree.  Being in Old Town SJ is the location most would want, unless you want to go to the beach.  Take the trolley around:

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/

I’m going to old SJ. With no luggage.
I’d rather walk around.  
No beach. Just checking out the local history and culture         

I know the OP has already made their decision, which is fine.

But for those of you thinking about dropping your luggage off at Barrichina- the taxis will drop you less than a block from the restaurant- and other than one road crossing, it's all sidewalk.  So it's not as if you are dragging your luggage down the cobble brick streets.

We do that, too, as it's more on our time- even for a 2pm flight, we will get off the ship early, drop our luggage off (which they do all day) and meet friends for lunch or walk around.   Not sure how many times we have done that- but San Juan is where we have cruised the most.  

IMHO, leaving your luggage on an open truck vs. in the back of a restaurant are pretty equal- same risk that someone else takes them no matter what.

The math for the "excursion" works out better for one, but not for more than one.  And it's not really an excursion- it's just transportation.  

Funny tangent- back on our first cruise back in 2001, RCL had an office in Old San Juan to store luggage.  But it also helped that back then they sailed out of Old San Juan as opposed to the Pan Am port that they opened a short time later.

3 hours ago, alfaeric said:

I know the OP has already made their decision, which is fine.

But for those of you thinking about dropping your luggage off at Barrichina- the taxis will drop you less than a block from the restaurant- and other than one road crossing, it's all sidewalk.  So it's not as if you are dragging your luggage down the cobble brick streets.

We do that, too, as it's more on our time- even for a 2pm flight, we will get off the ship early, drop our luggage off (which they do all day) and meet friends for lunch or walk around.   Not sure how many times we have done that- but San Juan is where we have cruised the most.  

IMHO, leaving your luggage on an open truck vs. in the back of a restaurant are pretty equal- same risk that someone else takes them no matter what.

The math for the "excursion" works out better for one, but not for more than one.  And it's not really an excursion- it's just transportation.  

Funny tangent- back on our first cruise back in 2001, RCL had an office in Old San Juan to store luggage.  But it also helped that back then they sailed out of Old San Juan as opposed to the Pan Am port that they opened a short time later.

Good write up. Thank you.  

I personally don’t take anything of value with me on a cruise.  I don’t take expensive jewelry, I have no one to impress. Lolol

I stopped taking my big camera gear(unless it’s alaska) and the only thing of value is my passport ,iPad and phone and everything’s in my small backpack that never leaves my back.  

I do like that it’s a Royal Caribbean transport though.   Not sure if my luggage would be covered by their insurance coverage.     
but hey. It’s just cloths.  Lolol.   

Covid test complete. Off to the airport in a few hours for PR.   Finally.   Lolol

• Like 1