Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

Kind of surprised to see Mobile only get seasonal service, but that likely means the extra service to Alaska for the 2022 and 2023 seasons will likely be permanent.

Now if Australia doesn't reopen by October, it will be interesting to see if Mobile gets service for October 2022-April 2023, with Costa Magica replacing Spirit in Miami. At some point Carnival is going to have to cut bait and announce Costa Magica is actually opening for booking somewhere, but I suspect every effort will be made to save the 2022-2023 high season in Australia. Carnival Splendor will also be in need or work, so we could see more shuffling as well.

• Like 1

Nothing official yet, but I think Costa Magica will go to Brisbane. Here's why:

- Brisbane is the only gap that a ship needs to fill.

- Carnival said on the Carnival Australia travel advisory page that they will make the "exciting announcement" soon. I think they would maybe only say exciting announcement for something like Magica.

- It could be the reason why they are waiting so long to announce it. They don't know when Austrillia will allow ships, so they don't want to announce something and then have to move it and Splendor somewhere else.

The problem is that right now, Australia cruises are supposed to resume in October, and that doesn't go well with Magica's "mid-summer" start. I was hoping Magica would come to the US.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Nothing official yet, but I think Costa Magica will go to Brisbane. Here's why:

- Brisbane is the only gap that a ship needs to fill.

- Carnival said on the Carnival Australia travel advisory page that they will make the "exciting announcement" soon. I think they would maybe only say exciting announcement for something like Magica.

- It could be the reason why they are waiting so long to announce it. They don't know when Austrillia will allow ships, so they don't want to announce something and then have to move it and Splendor somewhere else.

The problem is that right now, Australia cruises are supposed to resume in October, and that doesn't go well with Magica's "mid-summer" start. I was hoping Magica would come to the US.

There's PLENTY of ships sailing in the US. Did you watch the John Heald Live Feed today where there were 7 Carnival ships all within  mile from each other off Cozumel. I need to cruise. Bring our ships back to Australia, and it the Magica replaces the Spirit, then I can live with that. I reckon it will be called Carnival Sunset.

• Like 1

There is one potential fly in the ointment: Carnival Conquest is scheduled for drydock 9/25-10/9/22. Other than Breeze (later this month) and the soon to be ex-Costa Magica, those are the only Carnival ships headed to drydock for the balance of 2022.

This would allow all of those booked on Conquest to move to a just-barely larger ship (2980 to around 3000), and then still deliver a solid capacity upgrade in Brisbane. That doesn't work with putting Breeze in Oz.

That said, I think Sunshine IV to Brisbane is still the correct call. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There is one potential fly in the ointment: Carnival Conquest is scheduled for drydock 9/25-10/9/22. Other than Breeze (later this month) and the soon to be ex-Costa Magica, those are the only Carnival ships headed to drydock for the balance of 2022.

This would allow all of those booked on Conquest to move to a just-barely larger ship (2980 to around 3000), and then still deliver a solid capacity upgrade in Brisbane. That doesn't work with putting Breeze in Oz.

Hmmmmm interesting. Runs off to YouTube Carnival Conquest.......

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Just had a quick look at Conquest. DO you know if it is being "SUNSHINED UP" during Dry Dock?

Just now, CDaze71 said:

Bugger. It only has one waterslide, and no ropes course. 

I don't think they've added a ropes course to any Conquest class vessel yet, but they have added water slides to at least the Freedom.

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Sun shining takes 6-8 weeks minimum. I think Spirit class would be next to be Sunshined.

I could see them Sunshine the Conquest class next, I just hope they don't remove all the great spaces on the Conquest class in favor of more staterooms. I loved all the large lounges and dining rooms on Freedom. Plenty of public space for the passenger count (which is not what someone who has cruised Sunshine would say).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

They are workhorse ships, Conquest class. Larger and newer than Spirit class. Similar to Splendor.

But they did update the Splendor's Water Slides, so they might do that.

• Like 1

You know what, it COULD be the Conquest coming to Australia and I will tell you why.
All of my Spirit cruises were cancelled for September and December 2022 (from Brisbane). BUT people who had bookings from say around February 2023 onwards didn't. They got a notification email a few days ago saying that their itinerary will be transferred over to a 'new' ship. Even though we knew that the Spirit was removed from Brisbane after these dates. So the dates of Dry Dock for the Conquest could fit with that. A bit later than I'd like, but oh well.  

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

Do you know if Carnival Miracle is due for a Dry Dock this year? I just read that was another possibility in another topic. 

27 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Do you know if Carnival Miracle is due for a Dry Dock this year? I just read that was another possibility in another topic. 

It has the same things as Spirit, Waterslides👍

It last. Drydocked in Feb-March 2020. 

It would just need Australian Power Points/Sockets..

Carnival Australia are having a 50th Anniversary dinner in Sydney tomorrow night. Might announce something sooner then later...👍❤️🚢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Carnival Miracle is not. From an economic standpoint, there's no reason for Carnival to spend any money converting another Spirit class ship for Australian service when Carnival Spirit has already had that done.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:38 AM, Aplmac said:

Who'da thunk it?!

I would not have thought

that rockin and a-rollin would be a factor on a river!

Why in the world would you need stabilizers in a river? They aren't going to change the bends.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:43 PM, KmomChicago said:

Sun shining takes 6-8 weeks minimum. I think Spirit class would be next to be Sunshined.

I don't know that the Spirit class needs a full "Sunshine" treatment so much as just some refreshed upholstery and general TLC. There are some public areas that could use refreshed decor or color schemes, but they don't need $200 million worth of upgrades. More importantly, they don't need to lose lounges or theater space to add more interior cabins! 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 7:17 AM, tidecat said:

Kind of surprised to see Mobile only get seasonal service, but that likely means the extra service to Alaska for the 2022 and 2023 seasons will likely be permanent.

I not sure I see where they would be getting a third ship from if they go back to Australia with two ships year around. It would be a decrease of service that what was originally planned this year with Freedom and Miracle. Spirit is smaller than Freedom.

5 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

I don't know that the Spirit class needs a full "Sunshine" treatment so much as just some refreshed upholstery and general TLC. There are some public areas that could use refreshed decor or color schemes, but they don't need $200 million worth of upgrades. More importantly, they don't need to lose lounges or theater space to add more interior cabins! 

Good point, the layout and use of space is nice - there are actually very few interior cabins on Spirit class but yes, the decor is ready for an update.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 5:57 PM, CDaze71 said:

You know what, it COULD be the Conquest coming to Australia and I will tell you why.
All of my Spirit cruises were cancelled for September and December 2022 (from Brisbane). BUT people who had bookings from say around February 2023 onwards didn't. They got a notification email a few days ago saying that their itinerary will be transferred over to a 'new' ship. Even though we knew that the Spirit was removed from Brisbane after these dates. So the dates of Dry Dock for the Conquest could fit with that. A bit later than I'd like, but oh well.  

I'm going to agree with you here.  Carnival isn't going to 'launch' a fully refurbished Sunshine IV in a far off distant market that has arguably been hostile to their operations overall.  They get no pub out of JH flying to Australia.  She's debuting here in the States in my estimation.  As KMom said, the Sun boats are a wonderful replacement for the old Fantasy Class doing the 5/5/4 and 3/4 itineraries in Carnival's major markets. I'd be a bit surprised to see BOTH Sunrise and Sunshine IV in Miami.  Perhaps a trade with Galveston might be in the works.  But I'll bet the beards are already sick of the ship dancing complaints regarding Freedom so I think they want to hold tight for awhile.  Zero folks will complain if 'IV' replaces Conquest for awhile in MIA.  Will be interesting, for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Was looking at European cruises on Pride and noticed that they only have bookings for summer 2022, so they toke down summer 2023 cruises.

Well, I'll let you know if we get an email.  We're doing 21 days on her out of London in '23.

• Like 1