Costa Magica to Carnival Fleet

brilliantseas

Guest BasicSailor
13 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Well…she returned to her original anchorage position in La Spezia; so I guess we will be waiting a bit longer for the news, I don’t know at this point….

I pop in this thread ever so often just to keep updated, funny how my and other comments turned out to be true ?

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

What comments are that? That it is the wrong time to be adding ships to the fleet? 

There might be some merit in basing a ship in Norfolk year-round given that air travel is becoming more expensive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tidecat said:

There might be some merit in basing a ship in Norfolk year-round given that air travel is becoming more expensive.

That would be nice for us Virginians. I don't really want to go out of Baltimore or Charleston.

Guest BasicSailor
26 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

That would be nice for us Virginians. I don't really want to go out of Baltimore or Charleston.

Norfolk could be an option, only good thing about cruising from Charleston SC is they still honor free handicapped parking.

Edited by BasicSailor

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

and hopefully that means more sailings out of New York. I noticed when they increases sailings out of Norfolk, it decreased the number of sailings out of New York. 

It would also be nice if Carnival did year round cruising out of NYC like what they did once almost 10 years ago. other cruise lines can sail out of NYC year round yet carnival never made it work 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

Thanks for answering I was actually curious, but also see my comment below. 

37 minutes ago, shof515 said:

and hopefully that means more sailings out of New York. I noticed when they increases sailings out of Norfolk, it decreased the number of sailings out of New York. 

It would also be nice if Carnival did year round cruising out of NYC like what they did once almost 10 years ago. other cruise lines can sail out of NYC year round yet carnival never made it work 

Would love that too, wouldnt a year round NYC ship make more sense then Norfolk year round? And perhaps split a Florida ship with Norfolk seasonally. 

Something is obviously going on - Wasn't she already in the dry dock?

Could be a number of things - keeping with Costa? Second thoughts on a country and needed for refugee housing? Maybe a different ship transfer to Carnival instead gf Magica?

The sailings out of Norfolk seem to be more limited and more expensive than CHS, but that may change if Norfolk gets a ship year-round. Norfolk is closer to me than CHS so that would be welcome.

Magica was already in dry dock! I thought finally something would happen. But, there is one thing. The dry dock that magica left is now being used by Costa Fortuna, which is Costas other destiny class ship. Maybe they changed their mind about wanting Magica and want Fortuna instead?

I would think that Carnival has to get another ship this year, because they did promise a two ship return to Australia....

Also, they could be taking a Concordia class ship or one from a different line

They wouldn't keep ECSTASY, would they???

6 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

Magica was already in dry dock! I thought finally something would happen. But, there is one thing. The dry dock that magica left is now being used by Costa Fortuna, which is Costas other destiny class ship. Maybe they changed their mind about wanting Magica and want Fortuna instead?

I would think that Carnival has to get another ship this year, because they did promise a two ship return to Australia....

Also, they could be taking a Concordia class ship or one from a different line

They wouldn't keep ECSTASY, would they???

I really don't understand why they kept Ecstasy and scrapped Sensation, especially considering Sensation went into dry dock just a few months before COVID and is newer than Ecstasy. Obviously Ecstasy only has a few more months anyway but still.

I was searching around and found that Costa Serena is off the Costa Cruises website and has no cruises planned. Maybe Carnival decided to go with Serena instead of Magica. Also, Serena is in Dubai, and is closer with no canals and would make sense of Serena would be based on Australia.

For a name, since this wouldn't be Sunshine class, I think they should name it Carnival Senerade

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Thanks for answering I was actually curious, but also see my comment below. 

Would love that too, wouldnt a year round NYC ship make more sense then Norfolk year round? And perhaps split a Florida ship with Norfolk seasonally. 

Why would you think that?  

39 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Why would you think that?  

It was just a thought...Is Norfolk really that popular of a port? I am curious.

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I was searching around and found that Costa Serena is off the Costa Cruises website and has no cruises planned. Maybe Carnival decided to go with Serena instead of Magica. Also, Serena is in Dubai, and is closer with no canals and would make sense of Serena would be based on Australia.

For a name, since this wouldn't be Sunshine class, I think they should name it Carnival Senerade

I think that ship sails in Asia, which is why it isn't on the site, would also be a neat idea.

3 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

I can make a case for it..

1 Every ship that ever  leaves norfolk is full.

2. GRANTED, Ny and nj have a much bigger population..Saying that , There are plenty of people within a 2 hr radius OF Norfolk. va beach, portmouth, newport news, richmond and eastern nc line is close..people will drive from ohio to get to norfolk..

3. The weather can be decent into late december..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

I think that ship sails in Asia, which is why it isn't on the site, would also be a neat idea.

I know but it isn't on the Costa Asia site either. 

Costa Asia has their fleet as being Firenze, Venezia, Diadema, and Mediterranea. They also have a coming soon.

Costa Fleets (costaasia.com)

Edited by CarnivalShips480

18 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

18 hours ago, csoud68 said:

2. GRANTED, Ny and nj have a much bigger population..Saying that , There are plenty of people within a 2 hr radius OF Norfolk. va beach, portmouth, newport news, richmond and eastern nc line is close..people will drive from ohio to get to norfolk..

Of course, everyone wants more ships in their port....

I think the reason NYC gets more is because it IS the biggest city in the US, but I'm not saying that cruises shouldn't be year round from Norfolk

I do want a ship year round from one of these ports because I am near both. Here is what they could do:

assuming the spot in Brisbane is filled this year, then the only problem ahead is Alaska in 2024. If Ecstasy and Sensation didn't leave the fleet (Ecstasy in October) I think Freedom and Miracle would most likely have done Alaska. But now Freedom is in Port Canaveral so that can't happen. So, if Miracle still does Alaska in 2024, then I guess they could bring in a newbuild in May 2024  to do a Miami/Seattle split. Now, in 2025, Carnival can get another newbuild and this one could do year round from NYC or Norfolk. Also, a ship could do Port Canaveral and the NYC/Norfolk, which ever one doesn't have a year round.

18 hours ago, csoud68 said:

I'm not sure now is the time to expand operations, considering Carnival wasn't able to make Norfolk work as a year round port in 2019 or before when the cruise industry was the largest it had ever been. I think it's that Norfolk is close enough to Baltimore and Charleston that with all 3 as year-round ports, they compete with each other too much.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I'm not sure now is the time to expand operations, considering Carnival wasn't able to make Norfolk work as a year round port in 2019 or before when the cruise industry was the largest it had ever been. I think it's that Norfolk is close enough to Baltimore and Charleston that with all 3 as year-round ports, they compete with each other too much.

Norfolk port authorities were the problem..they charged way too much and carnival gave them the finger...

From what I hear Norfolk learned it's lesson when no money was coming in..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csoud68 said:

From what I hear Norfolk learned it's lesson when no money was coming in..

Norfolk now has a contract with NCL for port of call stops during the summer. looks like norfolk learned alot of things when they have no money. Now that they have 2 sources of money from Carnival and now NCL, hopefully norfolk makes good changes in the future

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement regarding the Magica and it's new name at least by now?

John posted on the 18th, that in the following days he would announce Europe/Alaska protocols and that her new FUN name would be announced. It’s been about two weeks; protocol announcement came out but not the new name.

In roughly the same two week period was approximately how long the ship was on dry dock but that must have been for technical stuff. 

So I don’t really understand what the hold up is; she’s still missing from Costas site; I thought maybe a placeholder name would start to pop up on port pages but I haven’t found anything (specifically Brisbane). 

Guest BasicSailor
56 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement regarding the Magica and it's new name at least by now?

I think there gonna call it, Try, Try, Triumph II

• 2 weeks later...