Going on a cruise? Do you join a roll call thread?

dsawyer

Do you join a roll call thread for your upcoming cruise?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you join a roll call thread for your upcoming cruise?

• I always join a roll call thread and enjoy chatting with others going on my cruise.
    • I read the roll call thread for my cruise but I am shy or I am not interested in joining a group.
    • I am not interested in joining or reading a roll call thread for my upcoming cruise.
    • Other

The roll calls threads for HAL cruisers are not well particiapated in by HAL cruisers for the most part. Which describes you?

1. I always join the roll call for my sailing and enjoy chatting with others on my cruise.

2. I read the roll call for my cruise but don't join in because I am shy or not interested in joining a group.

3. I am not interested in reading or joining a group for my upcoming cruise.

Me, too. I always start a roll call or post if someone else has already done it. It's always been nice to meet up with fellow CCers once onboard. About a dozen of us met for dinner in Amsterdam last year pre-cruise and it was a delightful way to start our trip.

Tough question for me.

I got jumped on once for joining a roll call - we had met another couple on another cruise and we discovered that we were going to be on the same cruise. So we made arrangments to meet them. All this happened before the roll was begun.

I ave started a couple of my own - one couple answered for our up-coming cruise a long time ago - have never heard from them since.

We have gone to several cc'er parties (we all arranged before hand where to meet) - some of the people we still e-mail to. HAL didn't make any arrangments to do anything for us (they never do) and no one made any arrangments for any kind of a party (cc'ers that is).

I always join a roll call before going on a cruise. It's such a fun way of meeting folks and making acquaintances beforehand. Right now, we have a great bunch of people sailing on our Noordam, March 15th cruise. We're already sharing information and have a standing joke about us all being assigned to Cabin 000 since no one has any cabin #'s. If things don't change, we'll all get to know each other better than we ever expected.....! :eek:

We were on the Statendam from Auckland to Sydney on 1-21 and HAL held 2 CC get togethers for us. It was so much fun to meet people we've been in touch with on email. Either I didn't get the invitation to the second party or I didnt understand that it was a Cruise Critic gathering, but in the first meeting the captain attended and I think the hotel manager was also there. They had drinks (champagne + other drinks) and delicious appetizers.

It is a nice move on the part of HAL and certainly makes me even more of a HAL fan.

I helped organize our CC get-togethers on our Zuiderdam Oct. cruise. We had around 12 couples involved and it went very well. HAL did not help organize the get-togethers, but they were attended by the HM and some of his staff. The HM did pick up the bar tab for the first meeting.

Richard

We always join roll call threads for upcoming cruises and sometimes join a thread for a cruise we won't be on if questions are asked that need Grumpy's expert:rolleyes: opinion...

I just started a new thread in the Rotterdam section for the Best of Baltic, Scandinavia and Russia cruise that we booked today.

I find it interesting that such a large percent of people say that do join the roll call - but every HAL cruise I've taken, very few CC'ers join the roll call (if they are on the same cruise.) When I've returned home and looked at Cruise Critic, I'v been shocked to see that so many people write in reviews.

With that...... who else will be on the Noordam on June 10? I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!! I know of two others. I'm sure there are more CC's going!

Happy sailing

I start roll calls, but I don't think they ever worked. Somehow, I did meet and become friends with RuthC and that has lasted several years now (e-mail and a couple visits when I was in her area). I'm also on the list for another pax's daily e-mail thoughts. On the other hand, I'm not exactly a spark plug during cruises, as I tend to use them for quiet relaxation.

The roll calls threads for HAL cruisers are not well particiapated in by HAL cruisers for the most part. Which describes you?

1. I always join the roll call for my sailing and enjoy chatting with others on my cruise.

2. I read the roll call for my cruise but don't join in because I am shy or not interested in joining a group.

3. I am not interested in reading or joining a group for my upcoming cruise.

I voted "other" as my recent cruise on the Oosterdam was the first time I had been involved in a roll call situation. It was a real success and I would definitely try it again. The CCers were our (DH and my) favorite part of the trip.

I've participated in roll-call threads since I joined Cruise Critic. I've made two "forever friends" and met some great people that way. Many of us have kept in touch to one degree or another. :)

One thing I've found that seems a bit strange, though, is the big difference in who participates on the Roll-Call board vs this board. It's not at all the same cast of characters. :confused:

The last three summers I've taken on the responsibility of co-ordinating the CC get-togethers. It's a bit of work, but even more fun.

I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys these boards that they get involved in the roll-calls and get-togethers.

My first Roll Call experience was the Volendam's Asia Pacific cruise in 2002. We had 20-25 people participating in that one, all seasoned travelers, some with experience in the Asia-Pacific area. There was a tremendous amount of sharing of information and experiences prior to the start of the voyage. That proved, at least for me, most helpful. Several "formal" roll call get-togethers occured during the cruise and, as you would imagine, many more "informal" meetings took place, too. Friendships developed among many of us that have lasted and frequent e-mail contacts have been maintained. (Sadly, a small number of our group seemed to have "dropped off the face of the Earth". I often wonder whatever became of ______.)

On the other hand, I started a Roll Call for a Zuiderdam cruise last February. A small number of people participated. But, on meeting day, no one showed up except me. Oh well, I simply started Happy Hour a bit early.

It seems to me that the success of any particular Roll Call depends upon those participating. Plus, I am sure at times that other activities that are scheduled conflict with the meeting time set for the group.

I would encourage all to consider joining your cruise's Roll Call. It adds an extra pleasant quality to the cruising experience.

Chimera and I always participate in the roll calls. We either join roll calls in progress or start one for cruises we book. We tend to book our cruises really far in advance so it is tough to know exactly when to start one. Any ideas about the optimum time frame? I have started them a year in advance, but that seems too early and it just flops at that point.

We have met a lot of really wonderful people on roll calls. Some of them have become our very dear friends. It is a great way to get to know people and when you use the roll call to chat before the cruise you feel as though you know each other before you get onboard.

Last cruise, we had over 100 CC members. We were on the Veendam and we were given a cocktail reception with cocktails, of course, and hot and cold hors d' oeuvres, provided by HAL. We met up in the Crow's Nest so we had that spectacular view!

I think it's one of the best features on CC

Linda :)

If the captain and HM are attending these functions, (and sometimes paying for drinks!) someone must be telling them about them, either by way of asking for a room or something.

On our current roll call Veendam 3/11 someone mentioned that he had arranged one before by alerting someone on the staff. What are your experiences here? it isn't spontaneous!, unless the captain was just having a drink at the same time and in the same bar!

Right now I think there are only two lines that have a sign up on Cruise Critic which is passed on to the ship, and that's Royal Caribbean/Celebrity (there's a minimum of 25 people required, and it is only offered on cruises of 7 more more nights). You see the banner on cruise critic "Celebrity Connections Party" or "Meet and Greet." You have to give your booking number in order to sign up, and they DO always have a room reserved, usually at 10 a.m. first sea day, and refreshments but no alcohol.

I wonder if other lines will be arranging such?

Meeting fellow CC'ers has ALWAYS enhanced the cruise, always :).

Amen! If it were not for the roll call we had going up to almost a year before our 30-day Amsterdam sailing, the cruise would not have been half the great experience it was. As a result, we all felt like we had known each other for years, and the chemistry was there right from the first time we laid eyes on each other. A bunch of us met up even before we got on the boat, at the Holiday Inn, and then once onboard brought everyone else into the fold. Throughout the cruise, we were always seeing each other at different activities, sharing meals, excursions, whatever. It was just a wonderful time ... with lots of good friends ... friends we will more than likely sail with again at some point in the future.

I always join a roll call. It can at least enhance the cruise experience, if not make it something truly spectacular.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The CruiseCritic website owners have an exclusive business arrangement with Royal Caribbean/Celebrity cruiselines. CruiseCritics who are sailing with Royal Caribbean or Celebrity get to register on a special CruiseCritic link. The cruiseline throws them a party. No other cruiselines were invited to participate in this "business deal."

That didn't stop CruiseCritics who were sailing on Carnival, NCL, Princess and others. They got their own groups together and are still doing so. On some Princess sailings, some of the CD's have begun to take notice of the large group of CC's onboard and have started arranging gatherings. This is not the norm however.

With HAL Cruisecritics, the evolution to having roll call threads and gatherings onboard have been much slower. Some roll calls are successful and some or not.

With all of this being said, I love CruiseCritic roll call threads and getting together onboard. So, if you are sailing on the March 25, 2006 Noordam, please come to our thread and post if you haven't yet. We would love to meet you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=245754

Once we discovereed the roll call boards we have spent a whole lot of time on them. We have met some wonderful friends, some are already dear to my heart. Since I've been on the roll call every cruise I've been on with HAL has had a CC get together. Twice with canapes' and liquor.

I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with the fellow CC'ers I've met for anything. On average they seem more intelligent, friendlier, and more fun then most other pax I just "happen" to meet on a cruise :rolleyes: .

Trisha

On our last three cruises we participated in the roll call thread & enjoyed every one of them:) ..Some were good size groups & others were small groups..We have met some lovely people had several lunches & dinners with them, taken tours together, & have kept in touch with some of them over the years..It's nice to meet others & share our love of cruising..

Archived