Carnival Steakhouse Question?

Laplayaperson

Just got off the Mardi Gras.   The steakhouse is a must for us on our cruises now, and the first night is when we go.   On most of our cruises, they not only will give you a complimentary bottle of wine, but also 50% off of a wine on their list as well.   Sometimes it's just one or the other.   My wife usually gets the filet. I usually get the ribeye.   The smoked oysters for an appetizer are fun if you like oysters .  They are presented in a smoke filled glass covered plate and then the top is lifted off and a wonderful smoke fragrance goes everywhere.   Art at the Table is a truly unique dessert and is a must try at least once.   I warned my wife about the size of the cheesecake but she finished the whole thing off with no problems.  Great meal.  Great service.   Always fun. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BTromboneFrack said:

Just got off the Mardi Gras.   The steakhouse is a must for us on our cruises now, and the first night is when we go.   On most of our cruises, they not only will give you a complimentary bottle of wine, but also 50% off of a wine on their list as well.   Sometimes it's just one or the other.   My wife usually gets the filet. I usually get the ribeye.   The smoked oysters for an appetizer are fun if you like oysters .  They are presented in a smoke filled glass covered plate and then the top is lifted off and a wonderful smoke fragrance goes everywhere.   Art at the Table is a truly unique dessert and is a must try at least once.   I warned my wife about the size of the cheesecake but she finished the whole thing off with no problems.  Great meal.  Great service.   Always fun. 

What was the wine deal they offered you on the Mardi Gras?  Could you get 50 % off multiple bottles?  thanks

22 hours ago, jnicktem said:

Semi- related question. I will be cruising with someone that really loves their steak sauce (Heinz 57 to be exact). He is thinking of bringing on a bottle if they do not have it on board. Does anyone know if the steakhouse and/or MDR has a selection of steak sauces? 

While odds are the Heinz agreement will remain on your sailing, carrying on a sealed bottle as a backup is a super cheap $3 insurance policy to avoid disappointment.  In 2019 CCL ended their Coke agreement in favor of Pepsi and many were disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 9:56 PM, Laplayaperson said:

Hey All,

SO we have been cruisers for some time but never tried the steakhouse before on a ship.  A couple of questions? (sailing on the Magic in June)

Is it a bad idea to do this on the first night?  I think it is discounted, and I was thinking won't be as crowded so would be in/out and back to activities if we booked around a 7pm timeframe, with the ship departing port at 5:30pm?

Also, does the steakhouse work like the main dining room where you can order multiple appetizers/entrees?  

Thank you its been several years since our last cruise, and this will be our first return including exposing our kids (11 & 13) to it, and I"M SO EXCITED to get them hooked!

**Also is the Italian restaurant worth it?

Thank you for your feedback!! 

I haven't read through all of the responses but another option is that most ships have steakhouse items for a fee on the MDR menu. I've heard that the bottle of wine is nothing special but it is free. I didn't try to order multiple apps, desserts but I do know that it is only one entree per person. We won't be doing the steakhouse on our upcoming cruise because we'll have a very picky 6 year old with us but we will do the steakhouse on future sailings for sure (having tried it for the first time in November).

On 1/31/2022 at 1:49 PM, kandmsdad said:

We have cruised many times, but have only dined at the steakhouse once.  I do like to go to the MDR and meet and visit with others.   Are they allowing shared tables right now with Covid? 

I also like to go to MDR for formal/elegant night.  I am sure that MDR menu selection is another thing to try to be aware of.  

Yes, they are allowing shared tables.  We recently sat alone at dinner, but they asked us to share a table at the sea day brunch.  There were 6 of us at an 8 top table. 

On 1/31/2022 at 3:49 PM, kandmsdad said:

We have cruised many times, but have only dined at the steakhouse once.  I do like to go to the MDR and meet and visit with others.   Are they allowing shared tables right now with Covid? 

Definitely.  In the MDR at dinner and during brunch.  I cruised solo  last November and sat with many different people.  

7 hours ago, Laplayaperson said:

Thank you all for the feedback!  We booked for the 1st night with guidance from you all taking into consideration the second night is most likely formal and don't want to miss that with the kids first experience!  Now the hard part...waiting!

xoxo

Luv the steakhouse-starts with a chef's specialty tasting of the day for all. Even the bread selection is so good-I like the sea salt rolls. Art of the table dessert is a great experience & the best part is the choc. dome, & fruit rollup types, etc. Be sure to take a video of the Chef doing it at your table. Also I like the choc.sphere dessert.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:17 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Also remember the second night of a cruise 5 days or more is usually elegant night and lobster is served in the MDR.

No more free formal night lobster on cruises of 5 days or less for several years now.  Of course the MDR will gladly sell you lobster off the Steakhouse Selections upcharge menu any night.

Just an FYI--In the past you were allowed to get the cheesecake "to go", but since Covid the waitress told us they are not allowed to do that anymore.  However, she suggested that she bring it to the table, we don't eat it and she can then bring us a to go box.  This makes no sense, but there you go.