Vatican City

wintertexancruiser

I would certainly try to go see the Vatican museum , allow at least half a day to a full day.    I am not sure on ticket options and prices now..  However our last trip we hired a private local guide ahead of time.   This is more expensive but really worth it in my opinion.  The Vatican museum will likely be very crowded and a good tour guide can get you places quickly and of course will be knowledgeable about what you are seeing.

We also took the SCAVI tour (on our own, separate from our private local guide)... This is a very limited tour (12 people) to the underground archeological area under St. Peters.   Prior to the Vatican or St. Peters  being built there was a village, and some of the buildings / homes have been uncovered.    This tour was not handled through the normal museum entrance office / staff..  it was a separate office..    If I recall correctly, you need to book well in advance.   It is tight quarters down there, and not for those nervous about cramped spaces.   We really enjoyed it though.  I think it was only an hour.  Then we did our private tour of the museum following the SCAVI tour.

During Covid reservations were mandatory at the Vatican museums, they may still be.  In any event, it's best to purchase them in advance, directly from the museums.  Web site is here:  Vatican Museums – Official Website (museivaticani.va)

The Scavi tour is a whole other reservation process, and they are required.  Here is the web site for that:  Reservations (scavi.va)

If you look through the links above you'll see that the Vatican museums are closed on Sundays, except for the last Sunday of the month when they are open free of charge.  The crowds on free days are legendary, although limited now by Covid restrictions.

Note that your movement within the basilica may be limited by any masses offered at the papal altar.  Masses held in the side chapels will not impact your visit.

On 1/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, CCJack said:

I would certainly try to go see the Vatican museum , allow at least half a day to a full day.    I am not sure on ticket options and prices now..  However our last trip we hired a private local guide ahead of time.   This is more expensive but really worth it in my opinion.  The Vatican museum will likely be very crowded and a good tour guide can get you places quickly and of course will be knowledgeable about what you are seeing.

We also took the SCAVI tour (on our own, separate from our private local guide)... This is a very limited tour (12 people) to the underground archeological area under St. Peters.   Prior to the Vatican or St. Peters  being built there was a village, and some of the buildings / homes have been uncovered.    This tour was not handled through the normal museum entrance office / staff..  it was a separate office..    If I recall correctly, you need to book well in advance.   It is tight quarters down there, and not for those nervous about cramped spaces.   We really enjoyed it though.  I think it was only an hour.  Then we did our private tour of the museum following the SCAVI tour.

Another vote for touring SCAVI.  It was amazing and we also booked well in advance direct with SCAVI office. 

There are taxi ranks near most of the hotels and your bellman/doorman can whistle for one.  That would be one way to get to Vatican City - but tell them Vatican Museums so you not have to walk all the way around the City walls to get here. 

We reserved an early morning tour that began with breakfast in a courtyard at the Vatican museums. We entered well before it was open for visitors, had breakfast and began our tour with a guide and headphones.  There were very few other people there. By the time we arrived at the Sistine Chapel, it was still almost empty. Friends who went on a “regular” tour could hardly see it due to the crowds. Of course, this was pre-pandemic and I am not sure what tours are currently available but this was one of our most memorable tours ever. We did the Scavi tour the following year and that was amazing as well. 

40 minutes ago, galfromkazoo said:

We reserved an early morning tour that began with breakfast in a courtyard at the Vatican museums. We entered well before it was open for visitors, had breakfast and began our tour with a guide and headphones.  There were very few other people there. By the time we arrived at the Sistine Chapel, it was still almost empty. Friends who went on a “regular” tour could hardly see it due to the crowds. Of course, this was pre-pandemic and I am not sure what tours are currently available but this was one of our most memorable tours ever. We did the Scavi tour the following year and that was amazing as well. 

That sounds wonderful.  Would you mind sharing what tour company you used for the breakfast and Vatican museum tour?   We're spending 3 days pre-cruise in Rome.

• Like 1

Through Eternity is a well-regarded group that offers early-morning Vatican tours. I generally do not use guided tours (except Context) but I have friends who have used this company and were extremely happy with them. 

The Vatican museum also offers the "official" version of this tour. See description from their website below:

A proposal intended for visitors interested in enjoying the unique experience, entering into the Vatican Museums one hour before the official opening time. The guided tour is conducted by an authorized educational Guide. Having finished the tour, visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy a delicious American Breakfast - at a table- in the magnificent setting of the Vatican Museums. After the American Breakfast, it will be possible to visit (without the guide) the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. Admission Ticket included.

Full Price ticket: € 63,00
Reduced Ticket: € 54,00*
Duration of the tour: about 2 hours, breakfast excluded
The tour follows an itinerary which includes: Upper Galleries (Candelabras, Geographical Maps, and Tapestries), the Raphael Rooms and the Sistine Chapel

(To book you need to access https://tickets.museivaticani.va/home then select "Tickets", choose a date and put in the number of participants. Once you do that you will be able to see all of the available tours on the date you selected.)

Keep in mind that even though the group you are with may be a "small group", there will also be a number of other "small groups" there along with you, so you won't have it to yourselves even early in the morning. But the crowds will be very light compared with any other time.

• Like 1

sorry I just read this, seems like you can be on your own after breakfast

"After the American Breakfast, it will be possible to visit (without the guide) the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. Admission Ticket included."

2 hours ago, jbdawg said:

sorry I just read this, seems like you can be on your own after breakfast

"After the American Breakfast, it will be possible to visit (without the guide) the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. Admission Ticket included."

Yes -- just to confirm, that is correct. You are free to stay in the museums after the tour and self-tour on your own.

I wish I had done an online "tour" before our actual visit.  It is overwhelming, the art and history in front of you on this tour, where humanity drives you, as noted previously.  We had a guide and it was still so, so, so much to take in, so much beauty and art and history.  Best of luck!

• Like 1