Straws/Paper or Plastic ???

Old Soulja

10 hours ago, miched said:

They all serve a useful function.  During the summer time it is recommended when drinking any liquid out of a can to use a straw to prevent swallowing a bee/ Yellowjacket that may have gotten in the can

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That has happened to me. 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:01 PM, sunlover33 said:

Why do people need straws? Surely that’s what your lips are for, to fit around a cup / glass.?

A few years ago I would've agreed with this statement.  However, my wife had a type of brain surgery which left her paralyzed on one side of her face.  She now must use a straw to prevent involuntary drooling which, as you can imagine is not only embarrassing but obviously unsanitary.

Perhaps its because I'm old and grew up in an era when paper straws were all we had but I have no qualms about the use of them now.  

To answer the OP's question - Celebrity does not have "Straw police" so you won't have a problem should you decide to bring your own.

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2022 at 3:15 PM, Old Soulja said:

So, I was thinking about our last  X cruise.

Do you hate the paper straws as much as we do ?

I know its an environmental move to switch from plastic to paper, which is good, but...

We were thinking about bringing our own straws, plastic, rubber and metal re-usable.

Do you think X will object ?

We bring our own, no one cares. The only issue we had on board is remembering to bring them from our cabin. 

• 1 year later...

we bring our own plastic straws and carry them in my purse at home too. 

we have a supply of   other items that may eventually be banned.  We'll bring a few plastic take out containers for take out from the buffet..esp if they further downgrade the afternoon canapes...

Luxury cruising not!

On 2/2/2022 at 11:18 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

Plastic does not harm the environment if you have proper disposal.  I'm sure Celebrity uses proper disposal practices.

That's partly the point - most places can't recycle one time plastic items. In the UK and across Europe one ime plastic straw, plates, knives, forks are either already banned or soon will be.

• Like 1

We bring our own metal and acrylic straws, really not a major inconvenience at all. Plenty of people can't be bothered though, kind of like bringing your own reusable bags when grocery shopping. Many places in Europe have been doing this for decades yet we Americans shudder at the thought. 🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

We bring our own metal and acrylic straws, really not a major inconvenience at all. Plenty of people can't be bothered though, kind of like bringing your own reusable bags when grocery shopping. Many places in Europe have been doing this for decades yet we Americans shudder at the thought. 🙄

Our grandson lives just north of Dallas and he regularly invites us to stay. We are always amazed when we shop at, for example Walmart,  just how many disposable bags they use at the check out. In the UK most people use their own bags and if they don't they are charged for every bag used. The introduction of a charge reduced the number of disposable bags by over  90%.

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Our grandson lives just north of Dallas and he regularly invites us to stay. We are always amazed when we shop at, for example Walmart,  just how many disposable bags they use at the check out. In the UK most people use their own bags and if they don't they are charged for every bag used. The introduction of a charge reduced the number of disposable bags by over  90%.

Unfortunately I think that’s the only way we’re going to get most Americans on board with reusable bags. “Better for the environment” just isn’t enough justification for too many people.

1 minute ago, sunkey1 said:

Unfortunately I think that’s the only way we’re going to get most Americans on board with reusable bags. “Better for the environment” just isn’t enough justification for too many people.

Agreed. The UK Government started by making the charge compolsary for the big stores and gradually spread it to include all stores. The charge was also gradually increased 4 fold with the profits having to be donated to charity. Some of the big stores opted to give the whole purchase price to charity. The "carrot and stick" approach proved a great success.

• Like 1