Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

1 hour ago, NJPA79 said:

Currently en route from Regensburg to Passau on Tauck MS Treasures.  Everyone on board very optimistic.  

Good to read. Have a great time in Passau and enjoy the Wachau valley in Austria. Beautiful daytime sailing.

notamermaid

22 hours ago, Clayton787 said:

Boarded Amamagna in vilshofen on September 11. Lots of rain on drive from Munich to vilshofen.     Heading to Passau today. Draught is 170cm according to the ship captain.  All good for now on way to Budapest.  Pictures at lock in Passau.  

DBEC6A2B-1F5B-4239-A817-47BA98DE2B75.jpeg

612BC6D2-5557-46FA-920A-B7DFD9346DB1.jpeg

Interested to know how your sail goes with the water levels. We will be on the AMA Viola next week. 

Just wanted to thank everyone posting on this thread, I've enjoyed keeping up to date and quietly rooting for those of you on current trips in the hopes that you made it thru!  I'm feeling better about our early Nov. trip on the Danube and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for everyone else traveling over the next few months.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 2017newcruiser said:

Just wanted to thank everyone posting on this thread, I've enjoyed keeping up to date and quietly rooting for those of you on current trips in the hopes that you made it thru!  I'm feeling better about our early Nov. trip on the Danube and will continue to keep my fingers crossed for everyone else traveling over the next few months.

Hi, we are cruising November 16 Budapest to Amsterdam and are hopefully these bouts of periodic rain continue. Like you - fingers crossed! 

Pfelling gauge at 308cm. A drop and rise overnight that can be seen as daily fluctuation. A band of rain clouds sweeping over the middle of Germany - small amounts of rain for the northern tributaries of the Danube. Scattered showers to the South. Forecast sees a fall in the level for today but staying just above 290cm today and tomorrow.

notamermaid

• Like 1

10 hours ago, milling73 said:

How are water levels on the Danube?  Anyone on Grand European that can assist?  Are the boats sailing through from Amsterdam to Budapest?

Thanks..

We’re ok thus far.  Currently sailing through the Wachau Valley in Austria on our way to Vienna.  Zero disruption; we’ve been able to sail the entire itinerary to date.  Tauck MS Treasures.  Plan to disembark on Sunday in Budapest.

1 hour ago, NJPA79 said:

We’re ok thus far.  Currently sailing through the Wachau Valley in Austria on our way to Vienna.  Zero disruption; we’ve been able to sail the entire itinerary to date.  Tauck MS Treasures.  Plan to disembark on Sunday in Budapest.

awesome. Please keep us updated. Have a great trip.

The level at Pfelling may be just about okay but for one ship it did not go as planned. Getting too much left or right of the main navigation channel gets you stuck easily. Regional news says that a Viking river cruise ship got stuck near Deggendorf (that is within the shallow section) early on Tuesday (i.e. yesterday). It was passing a barge. No harm to passengers or damage to ship. Just getting stuck in gravel it seems. The plan was to free it during yesterday, I presume they were waiting for a tug or barge to be available and able to pull.

https://www.pnp.de/lokales/landkreis-deggendorf/osterhofen/Auf-Sandbank-gekommen-Passagierschiff-steckt-in-der-Donau-bei-Osterhofen-fest-4427493.html

It is actually the third incident on the Danube in or near Germany involving a river cruise ship in ten days. Thankfully no injuries.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling
  • Like 1

We boarded the River Duchess in Amsterdam yesterday. The crew are also very optimistic that the trip to Budapest will proceed as per normal. First River Cruise for me and Uniworld have been sensational. Great friendly staff with great sense of humour and food is amazing.

• Like 1

Pfelling gauge went down overnight again, as is actually quite normal, but stopped short of reaching 290cm. The rise during this morning is promising, the figure now is 305cm. A huge band of rain clouds coming from the West is sweeping over Germany, almost in a straight line just below the Main river and North of Munich. This pattern gives more rain to the Rhine basin than the Danube basin but the morning has not ended and I see the clouds in the radar moving over Nürnberg and Regensburg. Not pleasant for sightseeing but good for the level at Pfelling this evening and tomorrow.

notamermaid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was a really successful rainy day yesterday (and the day before). Pfelling gauge at 348cm now. With so much water coming from Germany I expect things will be looking better downstream from Austria very soon - the situation is already better than it was in August of course.

Time for me to relax with you and unless Pfelling causes us to worry again, I will be away from the thread for a couple of days.

notamermaid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Notamermaid-  Thanks for all the updates.

We've made adjustments to our November Danube cruise, we were going to have 12 days prior to meeting with Vantage in Prague.  Spouse got a puppy after we booked airfare.  We cut the independent precruise down to 6 days to give our daughter, our puppy sitter, a break.  Going to hit Pilsen and Karlovy Vary via train now, then turn ourselves over for 3 nights in Prague, and a 8 night Regensburg to Budapest cruise, with a night on our own in Budapest.

Low water was too much deja-vu.  This cruise was partly booked with 2018 low water credits for not sailing for 5 out of 14 nights, and the rest from a COVID canceled 2020 Tulip cruise.  Tulip cruise, the no-fly order started 13 March and we were supposed to fly 20 March.  Ouch.

Happy sailing to all on a hopefully sailable river.

Ural guy, we’re you able to talk to someone at Vantage?  We have been trying to talk to someone about changing our flights and have been put on hold for (this time 1 hour and 45 minutes). We’ve never been able to speak to someone about our flights. Any information you or anyone can give us would be so welcome.  

1 hour ago, Dreamchaser21 said:

Ural guy, we’re you able to talk to someone at Vantage?  We have been trying to talk to someone about changing our flights and have been put on hold for (this time 1 hour and 45 minutes). We’ve never been able to speak to someone about our flights. Any information you or anyone can give us would be so welcome.  

We booked our air through United, and was able to change it through them.

I see this number under their Vantages flight choice: 1-888-782-6824, not sure if that's what you were using.

You can also try sending an message through 'My Portfolio'.  Oddly enough, I received a call this morning to confirm our mailing address for final documents, and to see if I wanted to upgrade out of aquarium.

12 hours ago, judythg said:

We are in Prague right now, due to get on a bus to Nuremberg Monday to board the Scenic Jasper bound for Bucharest.  I will post when I hear what really happens.   Our Scenic hosts here are telling us all they know and are keeping us updated.

Not Bucharest - Budapest!!

Christmas markets.  Good news for us, the Vienna markets open anywhere from the 11th of November to the 19th.

https://city-walks.appspot.com/pdf/wien/Vienna-Christmas-Markets-2022.pdf

Bratislava is 24 November, and Budapest 18 November. 

https://www.hungarybudapestguide.com/events/christmas-markets/

*The Budapest link describes the markets, and lists a 4 November opening date for 2022.  Other searches have the 18th as opening date, so not sure there.

Capitalism has them not tied to advent as much.  When you see the effort that goes into building these outdoor shopping villages, it's not surprising they want to stay open longer.  Gluh Wein, I am ready.  Our 3 daughters can get the little souvenir cups for presents, I'm sure we'll come across some nice ones.

• Thanks 1