Oceania/Amex promotion

Vineyard View

I received a brochure that is a joint promotion between Oceania and Amex. I followed the instructions online to view what the offering is. I cannot access any information related to this. Has anyone received this, and if so have you had any luck?  Thank you 

The cruise also has to be booked through Platinum Card Travel Service, part of Amex Travel.

So you can't use your regular travel agent for this benefit.

I have yet to have it work out better than the pricing w/discounts that I get from my regular agent.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The cruise also has to be booked through Platinum Card Travel Service, part of Amex Travel.

I have yet to have it work out better than the pricing w/discounts that I get from my regular agent.

I have gotten the Amex Cruise Privileges benefit many times, and never booked through Amex Travel.  My TA has an Amex connection that allows her to use this program, and I believe many others do as well.

But you have to do the math.  Is the Amex Platinum card's 1.25% cash back [if deposited in a Schwab account] plus $300 better than the Costco Visa card's 3% cash back?  As the cruise cost goes up, you reach a point where the Costco Visa wins.  [And of course you can use either card at any Travel Agent.]

46 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Thank you for this. Really good information. I will let it go and not pursue. 

• Like 1

I have always managed to get the Cruise Privileges benefits by booking through my Travel Agent.  I have never booked through the platinum travel service and always gotten the benefits.

However, the benefits cannot be combined with either Virtuosso or Signature consortium benefits.  It is one or the other.

Terri

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

But you have to do the math.  Is the Amex Platinum card's 1.25% cash back [if deposited in a Schwab account] plus $300 better than the Costco Visa card's 3% cash back?  As the cruise cost goes up, you reach a point where the Costco Visa wins.  [And of course you can use either card at any Travel Agent.]

And if you are only getting a 3% return, you aren't strategically applying your points.  For example, 3% won't buy you a first class ticket on CX to Australia for $70k of spend.

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And if you are only getting a 3% return, you aren't strategically applying your points.  For example, 3% won't buy you a first class ticket on CX to Australia for $70k of spend.

That's fine.  You have your strategy and are willing to be locked into one airline and blackout dates.  I find that cash is much more reliable, and my credit card strategy works in every season.  Different strokes.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Agree....I am locked into one hotel and 1  airline group, UA and Marriott because of the greater benefit to me .

Getting me back around  2000 a year if I had a 3% card !!      However, using the cards for points  I receive about  3800 in benefits hotel and flights, baggage, up grades etc  at the same level of charge .  And  its non taxable  whereas  getting cash you'd be and loose a good 30% of that  cash back. !!!

From cnbc:

If you received credit card points, miles or cash back

Generally, the IRS categorizes redemption of credit card rewards and frequent flyer miles as non-taxable.

Instead of being seen as income, “they are treated as rebates or discounts on what you purchased,” Steven Rossman, CPA and shareholder at accounting firm Drucker & Scaccetti, tells Select.

If you earned $200 cash back after you spent $500 on purchases in your first three months from opening a Chase Freedom® account, or if you earned 2% cash back (1% cash back when you bought, plus al 1% when you paid your card bill) on purchases you made in 2019 with the Citi® Double Cash Card, none of those rewards are taxable because you were required to spend money to receive them.

The same applies for the points you earn throughout the year on travel rewards credit cards. You would not owe tax on any of those points.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/are-credit-card-rewards-taxable/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

From cnbc:

If you received credit card points, miles or cash back

Generally, the IRS categorizes redemption of credit card rewards and frequent flyer miles as non-taxable.

Instead of being seen as income, “they are treated as rebates or discounts on what you purchased,” Steven Rossman, CPA and shareholder at accounting firm Drucker & Scaccetti, tells Select.

If you earned $200 cash back after you spent $500 on purchases in your first three months from opening a Chase Freedom® account, or if you earned 2% cash back (1% cash back when you bought, plus al 1% when you paid your card bill) on purchases you made in 2019 with the Citi® Double Cash Card, none of those rewards are taxable because you were required to spend money to receive them.

The same applies for the points you earn throughout the year on travel rewards credit cards. You would not owe tax on any of those points.

https://www.cnbc.com/select/are-credit-card-rewards-taxable/

Thanks...  I was doing my tax prep  today and it looked taxable to me.......THANKYOU FOR THE GOOD TAX NEWS....  It aint often  you get good tax neWS      THANKS amigo     I learned something      

30706021_2011682065816345_5211772496767877120_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks...  I was doing my tax prep  today and it looked taxable to me.......THANKYOU FOR THE GOOD TAX NEWS....  It aint often  you get good tax neWS      THANKS amigo     I learned something      

30706021_2011682065816345_5211772496767877120_n.jpg

My pleasure, Dan.  Good to have you back.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:11 PM, Cruzin Terri said:

I have always managed to get the Cruise Privileges benefits by booking through my Travel Agent.  I have never booked through the platinum travel service and always gotten the benefits.

However, the benefits cannot be combined with either Virtuosso or Signature consortium benefits.  It is one or the other.

Terri

I believe that the terms of the benefit are that the cruise has to be booked through an AmEx affiliated agent (not sure exactly what that terms means). From what I have been told is that AmEx provides a code to the qualifying agents wherein they can register someone for the benefits on a booking through their agency, so long as it is paid with an AmEx platinum card.

I have seen several travel agencies saying they provide the AmEx cruise benefits, not all of which are identified as an American Express agency.

As an aside - you don't actually have to book a new cruise to earn this benefit - you just need to spend the money at oceania.com (on a cruise-related expense)  So for instance, I pre-purchased a drinks package ( $839) for my previously booked FEB 2023 cruise, and had the $250 credit in my AmEx account a week later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewSalty said:

As an aside - you don't actually have to book a new cruise to earn this benefit - you just need to spend the money at oceania.com (on a cruise-related expense)  So for instance, I pre-purchased a drinks package ( $839) for my previously booked FEB 2023 cruise, and had the $250 credit in my AmEx account a week later.

I believe you are talking about a different promotion......the cruise privilege program is when you use your AMEX card to pay for your cruise, your travel agent contacts AMEX and receives a code which is then given to O and you receive an onboard credit for your cruise.  From time to time, AMEX offers a reward where if you spend a certain amount of $$$ on a particular cruise line, you will receive a credit on your statement.   It sounds like you were taking advantage of the AMEX travel reward offer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, basor said:

I believe you are talking about a different promotion......the cruise privilege program is when you use your AMEX card to pay for your cruise, your travel agent contacts AMEX and receives a code which is then given to O and you receive an onboard credit for your cruise.  From time to time, AMEX offers a reward where if you spend a certain amount of $$$ on a particular cruise line, you will receive a credit on your statement.   It sounds like you were taking advantage of the AMEX travel reward offer.

And if you have started with Amex Platinum for your deposit, you can also take advantage of such offers and also get the extra reward.  Just remember that all payments have to be on Platinum, or you lose the Cruise Privileges benefits.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And if you have started with Amex Platinum for your deposit, you can also take advantage of such offers and also get the extra reward.  Just remember that all payments have to be on Platinum, or you lose the Cruise Privileges benefits.

It has been awhile since I have seen an AMEX Platinum travel reward for Oceania.....seen almost every cruise line but O!  I think they know O is our go to cruise line and don't post for our card 😞

1 minute ago, basor said:

It has been awhile since I have seen an AMEX Platinum travel reward for Oceania.....seen almost every cruise line but O!  I think they know O is our go to cruise line and don't post for our card 😞

They cleverly waited until after I had made final payment to post the last one... 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They cleverly waited until after I had made final payment to post the last one... 😉

Last time they did that, I bought $500.00 OBC!!  Got the refundable OBC and the credit and really enjoyed on board.

12 minutes ago, basor said:

Last time they did that, I bought $500.00 OBC!!  Got the refundable OBC and the credit and really enjoyed on board.

Doh!  I should have thought of that.  But I wasn't expecting to end up with a $1,000 bill at the end of the cruise.  Well, we did enjoy ourselves!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, basor said:

I believe you are correct - the deal was spend $800 or more, get $250 back.  (Which explains why I didn't understand Jazzbeau comparing interest rates - $250 is a 31% discount, kinda tough to beat with differential card rebate percentages!)

In any case,  I believe the AMEX (Blue Cash Preferred) offer is good for another week or two.  (They don't show me details after I've redeemed!)