We didn't like the Haven, what are we missing

SpainAlien

14 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

did haven on bliss a few xmas ago. even at that price i think for xmas it was worth it. to avoid the lines and get some peace in the huge 2 story lounge was nice. when on xmas day they canceled GSC we walked the pool deck . looked like a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable. you literally couldnt walk down any walkways. there were loungers places id never seen them before. it was total mayhem. but i guess 'people' in general must like it cause they all did it. 

back to haven ...ahhh..yup that was worth it. only thing is the restaurant was slow but it was a holiday week.  

I'm not exactly a politically correct person.  But, I'd rather stay with those "third world people" crowded into a pool deck than pay for the priviledge of being in the Haven with anyone who thinks it's ok to post this on a public forum.

"Think" before you press "Submit Reply".

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Oxo said:

What ship or cruise line does not experience this type of crowding? 

NCL's big ships are especially bad with this. My take on this is that NCL uses so much upper deck space for the Haven and pay for activities (race track, laser tag, Vibe, etc), everyone get squeezed into the open areas. The deck and pool space is so limited, it left me with the opinion that I won't cruise NCL if I can't swing the Haven. I might make an exception to try the Prima or Viva. My last RCL cruise was on an Oasis class ship. I did not get this feeling there. I loved their pool space, and I thought there was ample room.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever been on an NCL ship with the Observation Lounge on Deck 15? We always use that when on any NCL ship that has that Observation Lounge. If you are not aware of this, check it out. Never crowded, bar and food. JMHO!

9 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Has anyone ever been on an NCL ship with the Observation Lounge on Deck 15? We always use that when on any NCL ship that has that Observation Lounge. If you are not aware of this, check it out. Never crowded, bar and food. JMHO!

on bliss that area had a much better stocked food during the day than haven lounge.  the observation lounges are great additions to any ship and for the bad weather days make a great sanctuary.  they should put them on every ship because there's always bad weather. impossible to avoid it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

on bliss that area had a much better stocked food during the day than haven lounge.  the observation lounges are great additions to any ship and for the bad weather days make a great sanctuary.  they should put them on every ship because there's always bad weather. impossible to avoid it. 

We were on the Joy Nov 2021. If there were 10 or more people using it during the day, that was a lot. Big lounges, couches, stuffed chairs, etc.

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'm not exactly a politically correct person.  But, I'd rather stay with those "third world people" crowded into a pool deck than pay for the priviledge of being in the Haven with anyone who thinks it's ok to post this on a public forum.

"Think" before you press "Submit Reply".

Have to agree!! That comment was beyond rude and insulting.There were much better ways to describe a crowded pool deck then "third world country".

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kmkub said:

How do you feel The Haven compares to MSC YC?

We did that in January, 020, and were not incredibly impressed. We disembarked about 3 weeks before the Diamond was refused entry to Japan, so it’s entirety possible the crew were standoffish because they knew what was coming. We’ve no way to know.

I would prefer to reshape your question before answering.  Instead of comparing the Haven to the Yacht Club, compare both the Haven and Retreat to the Yacht Club. The Haven and Retreat are much more similar then different.

The major difference from my standpoint is something I call, personalized service.  Feeling you are less of a number and more like a person.  Haven/Retreat for me were much better at this.  Not as good as a true luxury brand however better then MSC.  Celebrity and NCL are geared to the United States consumer.  MSC is more about Europe.  You can tell this with the entertainment, design of public areas, pools and personalized service. 

We can debate drink programs, pool size, furniture comfort and all the rest.  When push comes to shove, it is about how I felt my needs were being taken care of from a personalized service stand point. 

The main draw just a few years ago with the Yacht Club was a much lower fare.  That is not the case now.  It all comes down to what you like. Not one of these options is perfect.  Not one suits every ones tastes.  It is nice to have a lively yet respectful debate on them so when we invest (lol, invest) our hard earned money, we know what to expect. 

I wish I could talk my wife on going on another cruise in a week or two.  The prices are so low compared what is usual.  That low investment could be a much better way to some what safely judge for yourself.  Risks involved but worth of consideration.

Cruise well.

We have never stayed in the Haven but have stayed in a 2BR Family Suite once with 3 young adult children/5 total.

We made almost zero use of the butler/concierge - like others we are fairly independent.

We loved having access to the specialty restaurant for breakfast and lunch!  We could place our order for breakfast and have coffee, fruit, pastry, meats and/or cheeses while waiting for our order.  My daughter had filet minion most days for breakfast.

Cost wise, getting the suite for 5 people was relatively close to getting two balcony cabins.  But this way we received the priority and dining benefits for all 5 of us.   

• Like 2