Why is it more expensive for one person in a cabin than 2 people?

Mywh82work

Sometimes it will be less than the cost for 2 people, sometimes it will be more, and sometimes it's exactly the same. Depends on many factors which we as travelers don't have visibility into.

Good for you for doing the math. It's unfortunately a requirement if you are going to be a solo cruiser who doesn't want to pay more than the cost for 2 people, as most of the cruise websites don't make it easy to see what the price difference is without making a "mock" booking both ways, or jotting down the PP rate for 2 in the cabin and doing the math prior to trying to book as a solo.

Re the "Imaginary" friend: Instructions for our upcoming 2/14 Celebrity cruise included the statement that all members of your boarding party (same reservation or cabin number) are required to be present before check in at the pier.

I attribute this requirement to the current Covid procedures and the need for a negative Covid test before boarding the ship.

If you are planning on sailing any time soon, be aware that the "no show" of your imaginary friend may cause a problem at the pier.

6 hours ago, Mywh82work said:

I was checking prices.  The single person in a cabin was $3778 but for 2 it was only $1649 per person. $480 more

Not only the difference, but also the charge for two of everything with the AI fare structure. It was more "reasonable" with the way fares used to be calculated.

8 hours ago, Mywh82work said:

I was checking prices.  The single person in a cabin was $3778 but for 2 it was only $1649 per person. $480 more

Curious as to which cruise and cabin category you're looking at. I just did a mock booking for our upcoming Nov. cruise and the price for an S2 suite is exactly double except for the port fees which are half which is to be expected.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Re the "Imaginary" friend: Instructions for our upcoming 2/14 Celebrity cruise included the statement that all members of your boarding party (same reservation or cabin number) are required to be present before check in at the pier.

I attribute this requirement to the current Covid procedures and the need for a negative Covid test before boarding the ship.

If you are planning on sailing any time soon, be aware that the "no show" of your imaginary friend may cause a problem at the pier.

There's not much they can do about it. Life happens. Sometimes at the last minute your friend (whether real or imaginary) can't come. They can't stop you from sailing in your booked and paid for cabin over that. 

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

There's not much they can do about it. Life happens. Sometimes at the last minute your friend (whether real or imaginary) can't come. They can't stop you from sailing in your booked and paid for cabin over that. 

True, but I can see where this might cause a delay on the pier.

11 hours ago, Mywh82work said:

Cost of the cabin is $3778.  You are looking at per person rates, based on double occupancy.  It states that in the booking quotes.  Most standard balcony cabins can hold more than 2 people by using the couch as a pull out bed.  So, in your quote, if you add in another person who'd stay on the pullout, the per person charge would be $1,259.  Some cabins sleep 4, so you'd take that rate and divide it by 4, or $944.50 per person.  

As also pointed out, more staff hours are needed to clean your cabin, and more more toiletries, towels, etc need to be provided.  That's figured into the cost.

Some ships offer solo specific cabins where the fare is for one, and the cabin is made to hold only one.  I've stayed in a couple...one on an NCL solo cabin and the other on a solo specific cabin on a Royal Caribbean sailing.

Hope that helps.

Edited by graphicguy

10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I asked Celebrity this week and they said a no show is ok, and you'll be refunded the tax. I am likely going to have a no show on my booking but I won't know until the last minute.

Thanks everybody for your help. 

I’m such an idiot.  I did’t do a full mock booking.  The $3778 is for inside cabin for 1 with “free” Wi-Fi, drink & tip. The $1649 pp is for an ocean view cabin for 2 but does not include any extra. No Wi-Fi, drink or tip. 

Sorry for the confusion.

• Thanks 1