Queen Elizabeth May 2022 Transatlantic

Coates55

This cruise leaves Southampton in early may calling at Vigo, Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale. Am I correct in assuming US Immigration will happen pre-arrival in Port Canaveral such that on arrival in Fort Lauderdale, disembarkation will be speedier given that there will only be the need to clear US customs? I ask since am currently researching flights onward from Fort Lauderdale to Phoenix and want to determine the earliest deaprture time I should book the flight. Happy to do self disembarkation which will enable us to be one of the first off the ship.

Any experiences or thoughts gratefully received. 

I don't know the answer to your question, but I don't think you need to go crazy about getting an early flight. Phoenix is three time zones away from FLL that time of year. (Arizona does not go on daylight savings time, so half the year it's two hours from Eastern time, half the year three hours). If you were to get a 12:00PM (noon) nonstop flight to PHX, it would only be 9:00AM in Phoenix when your plane takes off and about 2:00PM when it arrives. I never assume that disembarkation in a foreign country is going to be quick and easy.

• Like 1

I called Cunard with this exact question. (Am I the only one that finds it maddening they refuse to post any itinerary times?)

We are due in port at 5am. The representative told me the flight guidelines are not to book before 11:30 am.

We booked 11 am base on 2 recent experiences. 

Don't forget the covid testing requirement.

1 hour ago, sippican said:

I called Cunard with this exact question. (Am I the only one that finds it maddening they refuse to post any itinerary times?)

I think more people would find it more maddening if they posted times and then were two hours late, as can happen. I suspect it is to avoid dealing with the resultant bad temper and outcry that they are so vague.

8 hours ago, Coates55 said:

JimDee,

Many thanks for this useful insight- certainly has put my mind at rest in that there is no urgency to be first to disembark

One more tip:

Phoenix (PHX) is a "hub" airport for American Airlines. As a result, they have many nonstop flights between FLL and PHX---the most, I think, of any airline. But Delta and United also have plenty of nonstops. Even Southwest has some, but they don't have reserved seating for any of their flights. Unless you find that American's prices are disproportionately high, I would be inclined to go with them, if for no other reason that if your flight is delayed or cancelled, they're more likely than other airlines to have more flights later in the day.

Good luck!

22 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think more people would find it more maddening if they posted times and then were two hours late, as can happen. I suspect it is to avoid dealing with the resultant bad temper and outcry that they are so vague.

That could be true. But I wonder how it is that every other cruise line (including the ones owned by the same company) do post times on their itineraries, and manage to stay very close to projections?  I "suspect" it's an encouragement to book all excursions and flights through Cunard.

On a previous crossing from Southampton we all had to get off the ship in Port Canaveral to go through customs and immigration, so when we arrived in Fort Lauderdale it was taken care of already and those who were disembarking in Fort Lauderdale could go straight off the ship and to the airport.

6 minutes ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

I asked my TA about disembarking at Port Canaveral which is closer to my home than FLL, and was told told that it was not possible because there are no immigration officials located there.

There may be other reasons why you would not be able to disembark in Port Canaveral, but unless things have changed, there should be immigration officials there. It is an international port.

8 hours ago, DaddyWarbucks said:

Thanks Safari Gal, long time no see.  We live in Sarasota on the west coast, of Florida, a shorter drive home, not to mention saving a day.

It would be great if you can disembark in Port Canaveral. Good luck 🙂

On 2/8/2022 at 1:02 PM, safarigal said:

There may be other reasons why you would not be able to disembark in Port Canaveral, but unless things have changed, there should be immigration officials there. It is an international port.

It's also a HUGE homeport.  Even passengers on a Bahamas cruise on Oasis of the Seas, returning passengers must do immigration.  You are so correct that there should be immigration officials there.

Roy