NCL experts I need your help please

rabadipscavern

I'm torn between choosing between a Mediterranean itinerary on the Gem vs. the Escape this coming May. A few things:

The Gem has an amazing itinerary with a new port everyday, however the ship is showing its age and due to the many days on the ship I would need to book a Club Balcony at the very lease for some decent counter space.

The Escape well is a bigger boat and is what I'm used to having sailed CCL Mardi Gras & RCCL Symphony of the Seas; however there is one sea day (which I don't mind) and the date I am looking at does not include a stop in France (Cannes/Monte Carlo) while the Gem does. 

What would you do? The Escape is vastly cheaper than the Gem btw. Does it make sense to sacrifice more amenities/modern room for a better itinerary on the Gem or save money and have a better room but without the stop in southern France I was really looking forward to?

Thank you so much in advance for reading this far and any opinions you have! 

Are you cruising for ports or ship?  How important is the difference in cost?  Does Cannes make or break your trip?  These are all questions only you can answer.

The Escape is my favorite ship, but if I was going for the ports (and the Med is all about the ports) then you should choose based on that first (of course money being no object).

just remember, port intensive cruises do not give  you any time to unwind. a few years ago, we cruised and one of the ports cannes. unless youre dyingto see monte carlo, i would take the greek isles. 

sometimes a smaller ship gives you a much cozier feeling