Is Cape Liberty Visible From Jersey City?

Broons77

Surprising DW with a cruise on March 13th on Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  The cover story is that we're taking a quick trip to NY to meet a friend of ours from Philly for dinner that Saturday evening.  We're staying at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson that night and the next morning I'm springing it on her but I'm still undecided as to how to do it.

I'm curious if you can see the ship from the end of the pier that the Hyatt sits on.  Looking at maps, it appears that you might be able to, but it's hard to tell.  Thought it might be fun to 'stumble' across the view of the ship while outside for a walk and spring it on her then.  My original thought was to just drive up to the boat and say 'here we are!', but now I'm trying to come up with something better...

@Post Captain, @GTJ - You folks seem to be familiar with this location from other threads, can you shed some light?  TIA!

12 hours ago, Broons77 said:

Surprising DW with a cruise on March 13th on Anthem out of Cape Liberty.  The cover story is that we're taking a quick trip to NY to meet a friend of ours from Philly for dinner that Saturday evening.  We're staying at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson that night and the next morning I'm springing it on her but I'm still undecided as to how to do it.

I'm curious if you can see the ship from the end of the pier that the Hyatt sits on.  Looking at maps, it appears that you might be able to, but it's hard to tell.  Thought it might be fun to 'stumble' across the view of the ship while outside for a walk and spring it on her then.  My original thought was to just drive up to the boat and say 'here we are!', but now I'm trying to come up with something better...

@Post Captain, @GTJ - You folks seem to be familiar with this location from other threads, can you shed some light?  TIA!

Great, if somewhat gutsy, idea.   

Do you secretly pack for her --- and somehow convince her that you really need that big a suitcase for a quick trip to NY --- or do you plan to outfit her from the shops on board? 

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Great, if somewhat gutsy, idea.   

Do you secretly pack for her --- and somehow convince her that you really need that big a suitcase for a quick trip to NY --- or do you plan to outfit her from the shops on board? 

DW has Parkinsons and is significantly mobility impaired.  As hubby and caretaker, I get her dressed and ready every day, so yes I will be secretly packing for her as I'm fully qualified for the job.  And aside from that, she's pretty easy going.  She doesn't wear a ton of makeup or jewelry and I'm only planning on our night at Chops to be the only dressy thing we do.  Aside from that, it's shorts and T shirts once the weather warms up.  Rest assured, if this all weren't the case, I don't know that I'd attempt this scheme 😄

Anyway, my stepdaughter and her friend are going on the cruise with us and will be bringing our luggage with them.  So we'll just have the overnight bags for the 'quick' trip.

8 hours ago, Broons77 said:

DW has Parkinsons and is significantly mobility impaired.  As hubby and caretaker, I get her dressed and ready every day, so yes I will be secretly packing for her as I'm fully qualified for the job.  And aside from that, she's pretty easy going.  She doesn't wear a ton of makeup or jewelry and I'm only planning on our night at Chops to be the only dressy thing we do.  Aside from that, it's shorts and T shirts once the weather warms up.  Rest assured, if this all weren't the case, I don't know that I'd attempt this scheme 😄

Anyway, my stepdaughter and her friend are going on the cruise with us and will be bringing our luggage with them.  So we'll just have the overnight bags for the 'quick' trip.

Great planning -- she is fortunate to have a man like you in her life.

• Like 2

From the area of Jersey City where the Hyatt is I am sorry to say that I don't believe you can see the Cruise Port. The Statue Of Liberty and Ellis Island will be in the way together with the fact that the cruiseport is not directly on the Hudson River but rather in a man made cove or canal.

• Thanks 1

Your wife is so lucky to have you. You would be able to see an NCL ship pass returning to the terminal but I think you’d have to wake up 5:00 am or something. 

There are plenty of boats you can see. You can say, wouldn’t a nice boat ride down the Hudson be nice? We’ll get ready we’re going on a boat ride tomorrow. lol 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Your wife is so lucky to have you. You would be able to see an NCL ship pass returning to the terminal but I think you’d have to wake up 5:00 am or something. 

There are plenty of boats you can see. You can say, wouldn’t a nice boat ride down the Hudson be nice? We’ll get ready we’re going on a boat ride tomorrow. lol 

NCL boat won't cut it for this, but no worries (although they're our next cruise in May lol).  I'm thinking that when we go down to the lobby to check out, I'll just have her daughter & friend be there waiting for us.  When she sees her there and the confusion is still fresh on her face, I'll put her phone in her hand with the SeaPass pulled up and see how long it takes before she figures it out...

On 2/5/2022 at 11:47 AM, Broons77 said:

I also have Parkinsons and I am getting worse every day .

I hope that your wife has a wonderful cruise and enjoys every moment .

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry to hear that @lenquixote66, my thoughts are with you and your family.  PD is a terrible thing, many are just not aware of how awful it is.  i hope you're still able to get out on the water, it's a truly joyful thing for the soul.  I'll be sure to mention your well wishes to Jamie when i tell her about the cruise!

Just now, Broons77 said:

I'm sorry to hear that @lenquixote66, my thoughts are with you and your family.  PD is a terrible thing, many are just not aware of how awful it is.  i hope you're still able to get out on the water, it's a truly joyful thing for the soul.  I'll be sure to mention your well wishes to Jamie when i tell her about the cruise!

My wife is an RN and she takes care of me.When she needs a break my daughter who lives a few minutes away will come here.She calls me every day on her way home from work and usually stops over .

I belong to a Support group.We meet once a month.Since Covid it has been Zoom only.That helps a lot.

Jamie does a Zoom support group as well, that's something she really enjoys and looks forward to.  I'm happy to hear your wife and daughter are looking out for you.  I can't imagine what it would be like having to face this without any support.