MY Time Dining vs. Scheduled Dinner Time

Laplayaperson

When we were on the MG in August, there would be really long lines for ATD and we were extremely glad we had set dining.  When we went on the Vista in December, there were not these problems but it took a really long time to get our food.  We changed to set dining after 1 night and didn't have that problem. They got us in and out.  In general, I prefer early dining unless there is the circumstance where you may be in ports late and will miss your dining.    

I am just back from the Valor. We had ATD. We utilized the Carnival app to notify the dining room we were ready to eat. The app would notify us of our table #. We had 20 minutes to get to the dinning room or the table could be reassigned. When go to the dinning room we show them the table number and were taken directly to the table (no waiting). The menu is on app. Menus are available upon request. If you like to eat at a set time, request your table each night at that time.

9 hours ago, icft said:

I think you are correct. There was waiting pre-covid and when ships come back to near capacity I expect there the be a wait again. But with the app you won't be standing there at the door waiting. I didn't like the app at first, but because of things like this I have come to appreciate it.

Pre covid you had to go to dining room

and check in and then often wait for a table.  All 3 of my post covid cruises, you check in using the app.  We check in just prior to leaving our room to head to dining room. 99% of the time we get notification that our table is ready before we can make it to the dining room. If not, it’s ready within just a couple of minutes. 

2 minutes ago, CruisinWithDLS said:

Pre covid you had to go to dining room

and check in and then often wait for a table.  All 3 of my post covid cruises, you check in using the app.  We check in just prior to leaving our room to head to dining room. 99% of the time we get notification that our table is ready before we can make it to the dining room. If not, it’s ready within just a couple of minutes. 

They actually had the ability to check-in on The Hub app pre-Covid. It may not have been utilized fleet-wide, but we definitely used it on several cruises in 2019.

30 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

Another vote for YTD.  If you like a waitstaff, you can get them again, but if you don't like them, you can go elsewhere.  Plus you don't have to worry about missing shows, being late from port, etc.  You go when you want to go.

Exactly this!  We loved Your Time Dining (which is actually what it's called on Carnival) on Mardi Gras and with the exception of the first elegant night, we never had more than a 10 minute wait after we checked in on the app.  

We like the 8:15 seating. We have been fortunate and have met a lot of nice people at our assigned tables. The late seating is not as popular as the early one or YTD, so the service is really good. Another plus is that we are in the mountain time zone, so 8:15 ship time feels like 6:15 to us.

• Like 1

Preface this to say… all of this is my opinion!

One big advantage of set dining is that you often get better service. The wait staff will quickly learn that Sally likes iced tea and Johnny likes lemonade and that Mom wants a plate of fresh lemons for her water. Those things will likely be waiting for you at your table when you arrive for dinner.   Dad likes extra bread and lots of butter.  Etc. They get to know you and provide the extras. Of course they do this partly hoping for an extra gratuity at the end of the cruise. Cannot blame them. 

The other big advantage of set time is when sailing with a group, everyone knows when and where to meet for dinner. Always the same table and time.   No need to try and text each other on board or communicate with others off the ship to arrange dinner; even if the group breaks up to do separate activities during the day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momma1980 said:

One big advantage of set dining is that you often get better service. The wait staff will quickly learn that Sally likes iced tea and Johnny likes lemonade and that Mom wants a plate of fresh lemons for her water. Those things will likely be waiting for you at your table when you arrive for dinner.   Dad likes extra bread and lots of butter.  Etc. They get to know you and provide the extras. Of course they do this partly hoping for an extra gratuity at the end of the cruise. Cannot blame them. 

When you find a good wait team for YTD and ask for them every night, they do the same.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Momma1980 said:

Preface this to say… all of this is my opinion!

The other big advantage of set time is when sailing with a group, everyone knows when and where to meet for dinner. Always the same table and time.   No need to try and text each other on board or communicate with others off the ship to arrange dinner; even if the group breaks up to do separate activities during the day. 

We like set dining for these reasons and one other big one - speed of service.

When everyone is ordering and having their appetizers, entrees and desserts delivered at the same time, the wait staff is just more efficient and faster. We have found that My Time Dining just takes a lot longer. Especially if you're seated and your wait staff has to stop in the middle of your service to sing and dance - instead of just doing it at the end like they do for set dining.

I prefer ATD, especially when traveling with a big group.  This way everyone is obligated to eat at the same time.  Around mid day we tell everyone what time to meet for dinner.  Whoever shows up goes to dinner.  If you don't show up no big deal.  Sometimes everyone shows up.  Sometimes it may just be the wife and I.  Plus with teenagers they probable eat guys burgers up until 6 when it closes.

Let me add that getting YTD (or MTD, or ATD) on the Mardi Gras is an absolute no-brainer. 

You are automatically allowed to eat in the MDR, OR in the Cucina OR at Chibang and your sail&sign card will actually state those three options.   (And some MDR items are also available in those two specialty restaurants under the "&More" section of the menu.)  

The Cucina and Chibang are free/included at this time.  However, with set-time dining, while you CAN reserve the Cucina or Chibang, you can't book either until around 7:30 pm that same night.   Guy's Smokehouse, also "free" during the inaugural season, doesn't require reservations at all.